jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Advice for non-US students going to New York for the Summer ?

1. itakins profile image86
    itakinsposted 6 years ago

Advice for non-US students going to New York for the Summer ?

My 20 year old uni student daughter went to New York last Summer with 4 friends to work in bars etc.To cut a long story short they were scammed out of approx. $3000 between them.The first apartment they booked and paid a deposit on (through Craigslist)-was a scam-although it really did seem bone fide! The second apartment was an illegal sublet .I duly ordered her to come home after a month.What's the best way for students to approach  such a trip?

2. ComfortB profile image87
    ComfortBposted 6 years ago

I used to live in New York, so I'm a bit surprised that your daughter and her friends had such a bad experience. I would say, contact the YMCA/YWCA, they always have apartments to rent and in very good neighborhood too. There's one on 34th Street between 8th and 10th Avenue somewhere around there.

They can also just pay for a two bedroom hotel roomfor a couple of days until they can find an apartment that they can physically visit for inspection. University towns, like somewhere around East Village and Lower Manhattan usually have "For Rent" signs on most rental homes there. It shouldn't take them long to find one they'll love.

I wish her and her friends the best the 'The Big Apple' has to offer!

3. Bldg an Architect profile image66
    Bldg an Architectposted 6 years ago

Sorry to hear that  the US didn't welcome them appropriately.  Don't ever put a deposit down until the lease is signed (and you've met the person).  If both parties have signed a lease, you legally should be able to get your money back if something doesn't work out (since the other party broke the terms of the lease).

4. irisepicuria profile image58
    irisepicuriaposted 6 years ago

You could try contacting a university in NY. They should have information on safe neighborhoods and apartments, you'll want to contact the housing department. Always go visit the place before putting money down. They can stay at a hotel while they make sure the places they are considering aren't scams