jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What do you think constitutes a racial slur?

1. petenali profile image85
    petenaliposted 6 years ago

What do you think constitutes a racial slur?

Being a Brit working in Canada, my co-workers feel I am free game to be teased about what I say and how I say it.  Although it is all in fun, there are times when it gets annoying.  But does that constitute a racial slur...?

2. davenmidtown profile image88
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

I think racism begins with intent! do they mean to insult you? Do they mean what they say in a hurtful way?  or are they just being cheeky?

3. KatyWhoWaited profile image61
    KatyWhoWaitedposted 6 years ago

Any comment that feels like an offense IS an offense whether we call it racial or cultural or otherwise.  Ashley Montagu, I believe, said that there really isn't such a thing as race since genetically we are all the same, but what we ascribe to race is socially and culturally based. But, I digress. The fact is that people seem to argue over what a person SHOULD or SHOULD NOT be offended by.  I think it's always good to revert to the old TV commercial from the 50's for a Chevy or Dodge or something. That commercial said that if you want to know about the car, "Ask the man who owns one."  We have to ask the person who "owns" their 'race' or culture or whatever it is that we tease or say about them.  If it offends me to have someone call me "a lady" rather than "a woman" then the person needs to listen to my feelings. Not all women mind this term, but I do.  We don't have to understand WHY something offends someone or judge whether or not they should be offended.  We instead, just need to ACCEPT that something we say can affect a person and RESPECT them enough to honor their feelings.  The larger question implied as to how to approach this with your fellow workers?  I have no idea smile

4. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 6 years ago

A racial slur would be if they called you names, like "Limey".

working