How PATHETIC is it when people are offended by capital letters !

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 54 discussions (108 posts)
  1. 05Jamie profile image59
    05Jamieposted 14 years ago

Has anyone had abuse or complaints because some people are scared from capital letters for example

"Clearly You think we are DEAF hmm

Not Only is it Bad Manners to Yell (in CAPS) at us in a forum;
    but it is also against your TOS to self promote your hubs this way.  And just in case You are Deaf... "DO YOU UNDERSTAND?" hmm

I MEAN REALLY !!!!

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i don't understand it either. i never see caps as shouting, although some old-school internet users do.

interesting...

2. profile image0
      TheVerbalAxiomposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bad manners to yell in caps? Seriously =/

I rarely type in caps but that's just ridiculious.

2. 05Jamie profile image59

I have sevrsl problems with this

One is the person was not interested in starting a new sport !

Two why is this person looking for and argument when not even interested in the article

Three they are VERY immature posting abuse for the following reasons -JELOUSY BEING THE MAIN ONE -IMMATURE -CHILDISH -LOOKING TO START ARGUMENTS

1. NewYorker profile image59
      NewYorkerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't get why people find it offensive, but it can be kind of annoying when people write EVERYTHING in capital letters. Like I WENT TO THE MALL YESTERDAY AND GOT AN AMAZING PAIR OF SHOWER SHORTS. THEY'RE REALLY RED AND THEY COME WITH A COMPLIMENTARY SHOWER WALLET WHERE YOUR MONEY DOES NOT GET WET BECAUSE IT'S WATERPROOF.

That's pretty annoying, but I use capital letters when I'm putting emphasis on something, like you used, "VERY immature".

1. AnythingArtzy profile image67
        AnythingArtzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

AGREED smile
        It was always my understanding that using Capital letters meant an emphasis on that particular word and since voice inflection is hard to hear in a forum atmosphere......
        I'd think with all the other problems we face just gettin by day to day being offended by capital letters seems quite juvinile to me.

3. 05Jamie profile image59

Same haha nice example !!!!!

4. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

i really do not how people can take offensive at capital letters.   They are still letters after all

5. 05Jamie profile image59

I know I really dont know why some people would compare it to shouting I mean really its just text !

1. whiteorchids profile image60
      whiteorchidsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe utilizing all caps not only looks like your yelling, but it also looks a little unprofessional when using it INCORRECTLY! Ex:

WHO IS SUSAN B.? or HI JAMIE HOW ARE YOU TODAY?

Who Is Susan B.? or Hi Jamie How Are You Today?

It Looks much more professional and is proper English etiquette when a person does not yell, Using all caps unless necessary can be a little tacky.

6. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

Having caps lock on is considered poor Internet etiquette when posting to a forum or email group. It is seen as the equivalent of shouting constantly when having a spoken conversation.
    It's as simple as that.

7. 05Jamie profile image59

Does it offend you personaly ?

8. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL What is really pathetic is when people post threads like this lol

How is this a pathetic thread? I mean, the guy is just talking about something that he feels there's a need to talk about.

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well if you don't understand I can try to explain of course.

The guy just insists that millions of people will change the meaning they agreed on to assign to CAPS just because the guy does not like it. It is like he comes to you and insists that your city is called not New York, but Scoobie-Doobie-Do, just because he thinks this is how it should be called. smile

Oh, I see your point. Okay.

Yeah, I saw this thread more of a complaning center, understand? Like.. where people come to bitch about all those people who write everything with Caps.

2. profile image0
          A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I didn't agree to give all caps a meaning! I am not bound by the same rules the rest of you are! I am a REBEL!

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's true.  Writing in caps is "just text", but it's become accepted that online, it means you're shouting. 

For people who've been online a long time or use email a lot, we've got used to that convention - so yes, we automatically read it as shouting.  And if someone yells at me, I'm going to be offended.

When you go to a new country, you have to learn the rules.  There's no point in objecting to the use of caps - it's become established, so you just have to accept it.

2. Sab Oh profile image55
      Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

YOU'RE RIGHT!

3. cheaptrick profile image74
      cheaptrickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

YOU GO MISHA,I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE USE ALL CAPS!!!!!!
      oops,damn caps key got stuck again.....

9. Eaglekiwi profile image76
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Yea  it is pathetic in the great scheme of things.

Doesnt bother me , amuses me is all, my first thought is well ....you dont wanna know  lol ok ok if you insist
    Makes me think ,whoa not very educated , there I said  it smile

10. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Now you confused me LOL. May be I mistook the guys intention?

Has anyone had abuse or complaints because some people are scared from capital letters for example

but it is also against your TOS to self promote your hubs this way.  And just in case You are Deaf... "DO YOU UNDERSTAND?" hmm

I MEAN REALLY !!!!

----------------------------------------------

Let's just review this together;

He seems to be complaining and referring to those who think Caps are offensive as minor; more stupid people.

I think that about settles it.

11. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

OK, that's for saving my sanity LOL

12. 05Jamie profile image59

Well the point of the pathetic thread ....was to see if anyone was "offended" this being the key word okay ! so....Out of everyone who has commented on this not one person has said it offends them yes ?

"Unproffesional" "Doesnt bother me" "i really do not how people can take offensive at capital letters" "I don't get why people find it offensive" 

Sooo......It is maybee all of these things but the point of it all was too see if people thought it was offensive !!!!!

And I mean really Misha get a grip of yourself....really bad example comparing The name of a city to a caps lock button on a keyboard !!!!

So in the grand scheme of things I win and proved my point that it is not offensive YES OR NO !!!!

13. trish1048 profile image69
    trish1048posted 14 years ago

Have folks forgotten that a large group of readers have difficulty, even with glasses, to read small print?  I wonder who decided using caps is considered shouting.  Ridiculous, if you ask me.
    Amazes me, all the sensitive egos out there and how easily offended the population has become.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, Trish, I wear glasses and have difficulty in reading small print. I find text that is all in capitals more difficult to read than a normal mixture of small and upper case. I also find text that is completely in italics more difficult to read.

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Same here. I don't even bother usually smile

14. Sufidreamer profile image77
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

For my profession, I have to read a lot of information, everyday, and critically analyse the meanings, intentions and emotions behind the writing. smile

Over the years, I have developed an 'inner voice,' so that when I read words, I actually hear them being spoken in my head. It helps to understand context and pick up subtleties.

When somebody types in caps, I actually do hear it as shouting!

It is very disconcerting neutral

1. Eaglekiwi profile image76
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nods in agreement, and I can feel the spittle hit the screen  too  lol

Then again ,just thinking about it , who decided it was shouting ? probably  the written word grammer word squad...hehe smile

One of my friends prints and writes in capitals , she always has , she said it helps her see better and know what shes written , I dunno .

Personally I thnk its just an expression of rebellion  lol

1. BDazzler profile image77
        BDazzlerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In the 70s and 80s before the web, there was USENET and and various dial up BBS systems.  These systems were the predecessors of forums like this one.

Since there were no graphics and only a single font, with no bold or italics, it was hard to read emotional intent in the messages. Therefore,   conventions were developed, to help convey emotional information such as the emoticons and the use of capital letters to "shout". 

Since the community was small, it was easy to "agree" on what it meant. 

You can see the ASCII roots in the software used to run this forum in that if you type the characters : )  it generates smile.

2. Ivorwen profile image64
      Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

More than once I have received e-mails that were written in caps, and it was evident from the words that they were not happy.  It came across as yelling, and yes, I was offended at their lack of manners.

To me, caps do come across as yelling.  If the dialog is directed at me, I will respond to it by informing the person that I will not speak to someone who insists on yelling.  If they would like to discuss something, then turn off the cap locks and try again.

I have also informed people on forums, who seem to be very new to the Internet world, that caps are considered yelling.  We were all new at some point, and had to learn the 'rules'.

15. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

I am often offended by capital letters...however...I try to focus on the economy and politics as they are the things that really matter smile

16. alexandriaruthk profile image59
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

It depends if the other person knows what that means, in other culture capital letters doesnt mean anything

17. 05Jamie profile image59

Capitals are just upper case in text why do some people consider ......this different from THIS and go out of their way to comment on it if you look at the example given under the title

I MEAN REALLY !!!!

Someone went out of their way to type this just because of my use of capitals and I find this pathetic

1. Sufidreamer profile image77
      Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I already explained above, although I do not get offended. However, I choose to skip over posts with excessive capitals.

18. 05Jamie profile image59

Yeah thats kind of my point you skipped past but some people would go out of their way to write back abuse and take offense and that is the pathetic part

Understood - I generally would not go out of my way to make it an issue. However, if we were having an interesting debate and you used all capitals, I would politely ask you to stop.

Pretty much the same as if we were sat at a table having a debate and you kept shouting in my ear. Nothing to do with oversensitivity, just that it is difficult to hear what you are saying smile

WHAT SUFI?  SPEAK UP?  I CAN'T HEAR YOU TALK LOUDER!

Sorry man, couldn't resist! tongue  (Is that pathetic?) tongue

hehe - I have now taken mortal offence, and will only accept an apology if it is accompanied by a bottle of finest bourbon, sent by airmail tongue

How are you keeping, anyway? Still buried by lots of work? smile

Yes, and a few small other issues just to make it entertaining!  Would love to send you some burbon ... uh ... later. big_smile

Maybe wait until later in the year, but we could organise a bourbon for Ouzo exchange big_smile

*slaps Daniel on the back of the head*

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
                Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Slap noted. Please note, sufi, it's not my day to behave. I think it's tomorrow.
                tongue

hehe - I look forward to reading a little late-night forum chaos later on big_smile

19. 05Jamie profile image59

So has anyone who commented on this went out of their way to leave a smart comment or give abuse because of someones use of capitals ?

20. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I don't get offended if someone responds in caps, I just don't respond if someone is shouting.

21. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

WOW! GREAT THREAD!

22. Paradise7 profile image70
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

Much ado about nothing, as usual.  I'm in a mood, I guess, otherwise I'd keep such thoughts to myself.

So I don't blame the guy--I'm doing it too.

23. Patty Inglish, MS profile image87
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 14 years ago

When I taught word processing programs, I found that some individuals cannot read the words unless they are in 'all caps.' I'm the other way and cannot read the words if the are in all caps. lol

Very sensible, Patty. I think what it boils down to is that which we are most familiar. We were taught to read using upper and lower case, and that is considered the norm. However, as you point out, some of us are geared a little differently, and it's not wrong, but only different, perhaps.

The norm, then, may be that most people get the feeling that all caps is a form of shouting. But despite that, we certainly use it to our advantage for effect!

2. motricio profile image68
      motricioposted 14 years agoin reply to this

1F Y8U C4N R34D 7H15, 7H3N Y8U H4V3 N8 PR8B13M5 T8 533 F4R B3Y8ND TH1N95, R4TH3ER TH4N 4 51MP13 M1ND W8U1D.

smile

24. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Clearly This OP has for some reason taken what I had posted as Abuse lol 

So much so that he has emailed me with a smartarse statement about me being Gay!! lol

Clearly, he doesn't know me at all lol especially if he thinks he got a hard time for showing lack of protocol here. 

Factually, as the OP stated in his PM to me; this thread was only started to counter the advice given and to endorse his smartarse email that was sent to me prior to starting the thread......

The Level of Immaturity is demontrated by the fact that this bleater has no understanding of what Caps represent in a forum and states that he couldn't give a toss about such protocol.

Let's be honest Newbie... You Will Bite Off Far More Than You Can Chew if you think it's Okay to email me with Gay Remarks or Similar!

Do You Understand That??? hmm

25. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Isn't it ok to be gay? So many on this site stand up for the rights of people who are gay but are offended when they are called gay, whats the deal?

I think PD's point is that the word "gay" was used against him as a weapon. Any word can be used as a weapon. There's no point in bringing weapons to a thread like this.

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know it was used as a weapon, but how could something like the word gay effect anyone? This isn't directed specifically at Pearldiver just a question in general. If its ok to be gay then why is the word still used as a "weapon"? Why do those most vocal in their support of homosexuals use it as a "weapon"?

2. 05Jamie profile image59
        05Jamieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Pearldiver is the one who decided to bring weapons into this saying I lied all I have been in contact with him was when he left abuse on one of my forums So.....THAT INSPIRED THIS ONE THANKS !

2. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Deal is quite simple.... I don't appreciate WuckFits sending BS emails to my Biz Email site.  A bit Gutless mate!  I'm Not Gay, nor was I out of line pointing out what I did to this Sock Puppet!

3. motricio profile image68

Maybe they are crazy gays? hmm

26. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

This thread? roll lol lol lol lol

27. Bill Manning profile image67
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

I read all cap words as shouting, and yes that does annoy me. If I see even a full sentence in all caps I don't bother to read it. Most people understand this and don't use all caps. smile

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image87
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can't read all-caps, so I also ignore same. lol

28. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Attention all hubbers! I am now using the word Mustard as a weapon. That is all.

1. motricio profile image68

Where can i get one? neutral

2. WriteAngled profile image74

English or French mustard?

What would be the difference?

1. WriteAngled profile image74

All the difference in the world, Sir! French mustard is weak and soft, English mustard is for those who can take it. smile

I'd rather get an English mustard big_smile

3. BDazzler profile image77

Oh, YEAH?  Well Dijon on you!

4. mega1 profile image81
      mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

fINE, be THat Way THen.  I will GIVE it a big TRY too! HEY! that hurt!  mister.

5. mega1 profile image81
      mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was referring to denno's mustard threat - well, I thought it was funny!

29. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

I don't get bent out of shape if someone uses caps. It does look a bit silly or improper in most cases.
    As for the "gay' thing.. Many young people today are using the word gay to describe something they think is stupid or a waste of time etc... ie: "That movie was so gay" or "How gay is it they want me to work over-time" So you see the context of the gay term may have been mistaken. He may just think you were rude or being stupid?? I'm not sure??

30. motricio profile image68
    motricioposted 14 years ago

I'M OFFENDED WITH THIS THREAD!

lol

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image87
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What? My eyes can't hear you.

31. motricio profile image68

mmmm ok smile,

32. yenajeon profile image69
    yenajeonposted 14 years ago

hmm this is just a tidbit:
    Architects write in all caps. no matter what. Its just whats 'professional' in the architecture world I guess!

Personally: Don't like the all caps. In academia, its a no-no!

33. 05Jamie profile image59

Why would someone lie about an e-mail ....maybe because they were pathetic and wrote abuse I dont understand why you would make a claim like that ! I dont apperciate lies !

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  34. 05Jamie profile image59

And you seem to be very self concious about your sexuality I did not even mention it !? keep it up cheif !

35. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM WITH CAPS  ?

Sometimes is good to shout.

AND  I DON'T LIKE THE TONE YOU USE TO ADDRESS PD  !

36. 05Jamie profile image59

Why ?

1. tantrum profile image59
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

BECAUSE I CHOOSE TO.
      BECAUSE I'M IN THE MOOD.
      JUST BECAUSE

lol

37. 05Jamie profile image59

Just because possibly the worlds best answer haha i love it !

38. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I accidently hit the caps when I go for the 'a' at time and don't notices until it's too late lol OOOPS my bad hehehe

hey welcome to hubpages 05Jamie

39. 05Jamie profile image59

Thanks a lot hope you were entertained by the forum !

40. 05Jamie profile image59

So I think we have just about established that 99% of people with lives would not go out of our way to put smart comments at someone using caps !!!!!!

41. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 14 years ago

How IDIOTIC is it when people use UPPERCASE to try and get their point across?

And by that I mean complete sentences. Or for an entire post. Or a whole hub.

I admin a digg-like site for lenses and it says in the submission rules not to have uppercase for headline yet some people still do, despite the warning.

So people who overuse uppercase tend to not read, understand, care or comply.

42. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

SO TRUE  !!
    lol

1. cheaptrick profile image74
      cheaptrickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HI TANTRUM,
      YOU SURE ARE FULL OF "P"AND "VINIGER" TO NIGHT!
      love ya lol

43. NewYorker profile image59
    NewYorkerposted 14 years ago

Only you people could talk this much about CAPS LOCK!!

I'm serious.

44. motricio profile image68

Namtekoto! smile

45. lakeerieartists profile image63
    lakeerieartistsposted 14 years ago

I have to admit that I am one of the people who is offended by capital letters in print especially online.

46. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

If the entire topic title is in captitals, I never read any further. In my mind it implies either a lack of consideration, a lack of self-control, an oversized ego, or an inability to speak coherently and convincingly in an accepted manner.

I'm not offended by it, I have no interest in peoples' thoughts who write this way.

47. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

the online community is another form of communication and with any communication there are basic rules of etiquette to learn and follow. if you know better and shout to be heard, it's nothing worth hearing.  if you don't know, then now you do.

when I first started writing online, I asked my oldest son to read the entry, and he called me immediately and said, ' mom, I can't read it, you have it in bold type, it's a huge faux paus, go in and change it asap.' hmm so I did, but I didn't know the 'rules' and then found a site which talked about online writing etiquette.

48. mega1 profile image81
    mega1posted 14 years ago

HEY!  Can we discuss the excessive use of exclamation marks?  because I do that!  I like to exclaim!  way toooooo much!  and also, how about adding letters as in waaaaaaaaaaay BAD!!

1. drej2522 profile image68
      drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like to do it to, mega!!! Toooooooo bad if people don't like it. wink

49. whiteorchids profile image60
    whiteorchidsposted 14 years ago

To answer your question after reading your response Jamie05, yes I am OFFENDED!

1. AEvans profile image73
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I concur sis! smile

50. lorlie6 profile image74
    lorlie6posted 14 years ago

This topic is dear to my heart, I suppose you'd say.  I 'friended' a guy on Facebook that I knew 30 years ago who was pretty much a loudmouthed arse back then.
    I was not surprised to see that he now writes in all caps. 
    It's hysterical-to me! lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)