Black parents taking their kids to Africa

1. romper20 profile image83
    romper20posted 6 years ago

Black parents taking their kids to Africa

I have somehow came across the idea of me as a black parent. I am white though. If I was African American I would make sure my kids visited Africa at least once before they are 10 - 18 years of age. Don't ask me why the age/time frame this is such a random thought to even begin with. Is this a acceptable to comprise or would you say hell no they are completely liable to stay where ever they want. Even though I think both at the same time in one sense.

Damn what a thought..

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

The question itself is a little racist as we are all from somewhere else if living in the USA.  So why black people would need to visit Africa when they have been an integral part of our country's foundation for 200 years is kind of a mystery. 

I'm a little unclear about your question.  Africa is a huge continent so you can't just visit Africa and make it meaningful.  The continent has a lot of countries, all with their own individual cultures.  For it to be meaningful one would need to know their roots, what area their family came from etc.

I suppose anyone, of any race, wanting to visit a country that their ancestors migrated from would be interesting but very expensive.

3. Mmargie1966 profile image94
    Mmargie1966posted 6 years ago

It doesn't matter what race you are.  If you can expose your children to lots of different cultures, the more well rounded they will be.  My mother is 75 years old and has visited all of her ethnic countries except Croatia.  She is planning to do so sometime next year. 

I think travel and exposure are great ways to learn and experience the differences in all cultures, and learn about your own.  As long as you respect each culture and their practices, go for it.  Take your kids all over the world!

working