Do you know that St Augustine is our nations oldest city.

1. crazyhorsesghost profile image74
    crazyhorsesghostposted 6 years ago

Do you know that St Augustine is our nations oldest city.

The area was first explored by the Spanish in 1513 and the city was founded in 1565. I bet you didn't know that did you. The city and the area has a rich cultural history with everything from Ripleys, Ghost Tours, and a beautiful old Spanish Fort. If you've never been to St Augustine Florida which is 35 miles south of Jacksonville Florida you should plan a vacation there real soon. I just love it and go about twice a year. I lived there one time for a year.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6417188_f260.jpg

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image92
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years ago

Pensacola was explored in 1513 and founded in 1559 and St Augustine was founded 1565, 6 years later. Pensacola is the oldest settlement in America,beginning at Pensacola Bay but temporarily abandoned; and St. Augustine is the oldest city never abandoned entirely by settlers.

www.ci.pensacola.fl.us This city site claims oldest settlement for Pensacola, so there is debate.

3. frogyfish profile image78
    frogyfishposted 5 years ago

I have heard over the years that St. Augustine is our oldest city, but also that there is some mild disagreement of this claim.  As Patty English stated, Pensacola also makes that claim, though I am of the opinion that St. Augustine seems older as to appearance.  Do think they are both wonderful cities to visit, anyway!

working