If time travel were possible, would you go back into the past or into the future

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (30 posts)
  1. angied83 profile image67
    angied83posted 11 years ago

If time travel were possible, would you go back into the past or into the future?

And would you stay there? Or come back to the present?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6592022_f260.jpg

2. ThussaysNanaMarie profile image61
    ThussaysNanaMarieposted 11 years ago

Probably to the past only to change a few things then fasT forward to the present. I'm quite glad at how my life has turned out.

angied83posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi ThussaysNanaMarie, thanks for the answer. I'm curious by what you said. Which events do you want to change if you dont mind sharing?

2. ThussaysNanaMarie profile image61
      ThussaysNanaMarieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe take a different career path, tolerate certain poeople less than I did and make certain choices earlier than than I did.

3. angied83 profile image67

Yeah sounds like a good idea. Maybe what you can do is buy up a lot of real estate dirt cheap and then sell it for a fortune in the present! Come back to the present a billionaire. I sure wouldn't mind that! ;-)

3. TheLifeExperiment profile image59
    TheLifeExperimentposted 11 years ago

I'd give anything to see both! I want to find out if the world really is going to end, and how it will look in, say, 100 years. But I'd also love to go back to the late 50's to see the Beatles perform in liverpool before they got famous, or the 20's to buy some amazing flapper dresses and pearls, the 80's to tell people how lame their clothes are going to look in 10 years, and maybe the 40's to tell all the racists that there's going to be a black president. I could really screw with people's heads smile

1. ThussaysNanaMarie profile image61
      ThussaysNanaMarieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. angied83 profile image67

LOL! You got some funny ideas, girl! I'd love to see the Nazi's face when you tell them about having a black president in 70 years!

4. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Into the future, then I would come back. This is the time I was born into and I guest I''m here for a reason.

You sound like you truly do enjoy the present. Good for you! :-) I've always been enamored with history so the past is where I want to go (I think maybe it's because historical events are often portrayed in sepia or black&white). :-)

5. alian346 profile image67
    alian346posted 11 years ago

I would definitely go into the future - perhaps 200 years - to see what had happened to the human race and the planet. Had we become more tolerant of each other? - had poverty and disease been eradicated? - what had our technology achieved? - had we blown the planet up? - was the planet unbelievably overpopulated? - had the machines become intelligent and taken over? - had we managed to travel and colonise other planets and solar systems?
    Would I come back? I wouldn't know till I got there but I would desperately miss this time now as I'm very happy here!

Hi alian346, I would love to see how the future turns out as well. I think the Hunger Games movie was based on maybe 200 years from now. LOL. The future could be Panem-like or Star Trek like. Or maybe we'd have extinguished ourselves with nuclear war

6. Eric Calderwood profile image79
    Eric Calderwoodposted 11 years ago

If it were possible, I would probably go back to the seventies and eighties.  This was the time period that I grew up in, and I would like to visit them again with the perspective that I have now to see how different they would seem.

I was born in 83. So the 80's would be something I'd like to visit as well. Maybe get a little of my 'youthful innocence' back. Definitely spend time with family who's no longer with me today. :-(

2. Diane Woodson profile image60
      Diane Woodsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was going to college during the period of 74-78 and it would be kind of cool to go back, I know I would not fit in as well as I did back then!

7. pstraubie48 profile image82
    pstraubie48posted 11 years ago

The past. I would go back to the pioneer days of covered wagons and dinner cooked outside over an open fire. A hard time of hard work..but a time of discovery and newness.

Reminds me a bit of old Western movies and the Game of Thrones! I dont know if you watch it but what you describe sure brings up some scenes in this series. I absolutely love it! :-)

I did not read your answer before I wrote mine, honest!! I didn't know anyone else would want to go there.

8. harmony155 profile image57
    harmony155posted 11 years ago

I'd like to go into the future and see if we make it past 2012. Just kidding!

LOL! I bet the Hollywood sign would still remain (just like in movies!)

9. ptosis profile image68
    ptosisposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6593485_f260.jpg

I don't think we can time travel beyond our lifespan. Check out the video http://www.postiar.com/post/27453/exper … verse.html

It says our entire life exists at the same time but we just live moment to moment knowing tiny time slice at a time.

This sounds familiar.. Eric Bana in The Time Traveler's Wife? I like that movie a lot. :-)

10. Vellur profile image95
    Vellurposted 11 years ago

If I had the chance, I would love to go back in time and re-live my childhood days.

I would meet my childhood friends,
    Say hi!!! to all of them,
    I would climb up all my favorite trees,
    Swing and climb,
    Fall down on my knees,
    Climb up again, pluck all the fruits,
    Eat all of them,
    Till I'm more than full,
    Then it's off to run, play,
    And skip,
    Enjoy myself,
    Every minute,
    With my parents,
    Brother and sister,
    Young again too,
    All my dreams forever,
    Will Come true,
    Oh!!! I forrgot to mention all the sweets, candies and choclates I ate. I can taste all of them once again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool poem, Vellur! Brought back poignant memories of my childhood. Now I really do wish I can time travel!

I have written a few poems but only for English classes. I envy your talent...its superb!

3. Vellur profile image95
      Vellurposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you angied83, Diane Woodson for your appreciation. Am on top of the world smile.

11. profile image0
    rmcleveposted 11 years ago

Probably the past, just because of how much I love to put myself in the shoes of those who came before. It is a running joke around here that I should go back to the 30s and be a homesteader out West. Although it was not an easy time, I can see myself living in a simple framed house with thin windows, sparse fixtures, and jars of jams.

It is a VERY idealized way of being so I probably would hate it, but you never know. I'll probably just stay here for a while.

The 30s during the great depression? Wow! You're a brave soul, mcleve! I am not too sure if anybody else would want to relive those times.

12. Diane Woodson profile image60
    Diane Woodsonposted 11 years ago

I would like to go back to Cowboy and Indian days, back in the Old West. I have always thought it would be neat to have lived back then. I would want to come back though to the modern conveniences of today! I am not sure how long I would want to stay.

We can meet up with pstraubie48 in the old west! ;-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)