jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Travel close to home / "Staycation" - where would you go in your local area and

1. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

Travel close to home / "Staycation" - where would you go in your local area and why?

With gas prices so high, many people are wanting to stay closer to home rather than drive long distances for vacation.  Where would you go in your local area for a "staycation" as they are called?  Have you ever found an interesting location you hadn't fully explored before?

2. Johnnyd44 profile image49
    Johnnyd44posted 5 years ago

Greetings ChristinS,

Great question.  We will be visiting the beach on the east coast of Florida for a few days each month this summer.  It is only 45 minutes away and prices are reasonable this time of year.  This fall, we are planning to visit "old Florida" while it still exists.  We will be close to home and will finally get to see some history after being here since birth.

Have a Happy Summer!

Johnny

3. edhan profile image61
    edhanposted 5 years ago

Now my travel vacation will be closer to home - that is Universal Studios Singapore.

Brought my family for a day of fun & entertainment in rides, movies and street performance. It is really great to have this near my home and no longer need to travel to USA or Japan to be entertained and find relaxation.

Here are some of the videos taken at Universal Studios Singapore - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIOEnMcISEc

4. profile image0
    Beachlifeposted 5 years ago

i live within minutes of the beach and boardwalk. Plus Six flags is not that far either, we plan to hit the beach, boardwalk, pool, six flags, library for movies, books and such.

5. Eri Lana profile image60
    Eri Lanaposted 5 years ago

While I live reasonably close to a beach and even a theme park, I don't find the quality of the cheaper options to be worth the trip. You really do get what you pay for in that regard.

I have often been surprised by my own town just by exploring a different area that I do not normally drive through. Visiting shops that I have passed by numerous times but never explored, eating somewhere I hadn't given a chance, and even just checking out a few of the historical sites. While I am not particularly interested in learning all the ins and outs of my town's history, sometimes the view makes the trip worthwhile.

Seeking out a bed and breakfast that is nearby makes the experience more complete. Making a point not to shop anywhere you favor, get gas anywhere you frequent, or visit people you would normally can almost make it seem like a whole new world.

6. Cardia profile image94
    Cardiaposted 5 years ago

I'd go to a local hotel, and enjoy the amenities. Swim in the pool, watch tv, eat room service, try all the sports and activities.  In Barbados (where I live) tourism is our main industry, and a lot of our locals are employed in it (ranging from hotels to restaurants to tour guides, etc) We welcome tourists and visitors from all corners of the globe, and I'd like to see through their eyes what it's like when they go to a hotel in our country!

7. Happyboomernurse profile image84
    Happyboomernurseposted 5 years ago

A visit to Sambo's Tavern in Leipsic, Delaware, is a step back to a simpler time when watermen made a living off the Delaware Bay. read more

working