when you travel, have you ever try local food?

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (40 posts)
  1. phuketindex profile image57
    phuketindexposted 15 years ago

When you travel, have you ever try local food?

Why, yes?

Why, No?

For me I like to try them, I think it's their culture and make me closer to them...

1. mommyfreelancer profile image72
      mommyfreelancerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, local cuisine makes the travel experience complete. But I don't always eat local food, perhaps they're spicy or contains something I don't eat. I try to eat those that I like. While in Thailand I drank iced coffee whenever I saw one, and love, love, looove McDonald's shrimp fillet smile

2. profile image0
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes. Part of the beauty of traveling is getting to try new things, experience other cultures and this includes Food.

2. brad4l profile image70
    brad4lposted 15 years ago

I almost always do, because I can always have regular food when at home, but don't always have the opportunity to have, for example, a great Cuban meal, like when in Florida.

3. aka-dj profile image66
    aka-djposted 15 years ago

That's part of the experience. How could you go to the US, and not try hotdogs etc. I also like to try other cultures version of my normal food. smile
    I loved the hamburgers that a small roadside cafe' made in Phuket. I would eat more of them if we had them here. big_smile

4. Ktoo profile image61
    Ktooposted 15 years ago

Absolutely.  That's part of the point of travel for me.  I travel to get experience, and local food is certainly part of that experience.

5. Dolores Monet profile image93
    Dolores Monetposted 15 years ago

Of course, local food is part of any journey. Chances are that the local food will be cheaper and better! My nice works at a chain resturant and she says all the food is microwaved, there is no creativity, nothing fresh (except salad which probably comes in a bag)

6. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

Absolutely!  That's part of the whole thing.  But I'm more Anthony Bourdain-ish than Weird Food Guy, if you get what I'm saying.

Interestingly, the only 'authentic' foods I have not had are German, English, Irish--too much influence anyway, I guess, in the areas I have lived.

7. Edwin Clark profile image62
    Edwin Clarkposted 15 years ago

I always eat local food, the smaller the restaurant the better.

I don't like it when I see travelers eating in US fast food restaurants such as McDonald's. The thought of flying halfway across the world to eat something you can get back home is plain silly.

1. JamaGenee profile image76
      JamaGeneeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Coulda knocked me over with a feather when I saw a McDonald's in one of the perimeter buildings of the Tower of London!  What were they thinking!

But, yes, I choose to eat local when I travel!

2. profile image53
      Suksanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It does make me laugh when foreigners eat at Fast Food joints that they can get home.

Here in Phuket, it seems to be the culture that the Thai's want to be like the west and so eat lots and lots of crappy burgers, chicken and ice cream.

This is having a very bad impact on their size and weight, since most Thai's are small, you would think you were walking into American-Thailand.

I must confess though, since I live here in Phuket, I indulge in a Burger King maybe once every 3 months, but that's it.

Local food is always the best, especially if you find a popular small cafe. I am not talking about restaurants that only cater for foreigners which are always situated in tourist only areas either.

Suksan

8. ChrisSnil profile image60
    ChrisSnilposted 15 years ago

Of course! That's what makes a trip for me smile

Whenever I go to the US I make it a rule not to eat at the fast food restaurants I can eat at here in the UK, but then again I'd rather go to independent restaurants and diners than a Wendy's or somewhere smile

9. WeddingConsultant profile image67
    WeddingConsultantposted 15 years ago

Why travel when you have the convenience of foreign food locally?

I have eaten french fries here in the US, and they're great. It makes me like France.

10. febriedethan profile image80
    febriedethanposted 15 years ago

Of course..I love to try local food. I really enjoy a new experience to taste different kinds of food smile

11. charanjeet kaur profile image60
    charanjeet kaurposted 15 years ago

I guess thats the beauty of travelling isnt it, that you can experiment and explore with thier food and traditions they follow in cooking. I eat only chicken and eggs in non vegetarian other than this restriction have tried every cuisine that came by way. Earlier i was resentful but my advice would be how can you resent something you never tried. I fell in love with mexican and thai food and i am glad i tried..

12. ocbill profile image53
    ocbillposted 15 years ago

Huh?  I eat 2/3 local food and 1/3 foreign food when at home, so when traveling it makes not much difference to eat their local food. In fact, it always seems lighter so it's a welcome.

13. rmcrayne profile image93
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

Absolutely!  In the military, we have an expression (or 2), “Embrace the local community” or “Embrace the local culture.”  I was stationed overseas 6+ years.  While in Turkey I ate at small restaurants in small villages, but was also very fortunate to eat true Turkish cuisine in Turkish families’ homes.  I had to get hepatitis shots every 6 months, but it was worth it!

14. mugshot profile image56
    mugshotposted 14 years ago

Yes! Why...how else can you sample the culture properly if your no willing to try the food they eat...I have tried things that some would say makes their stomach turn like Sheeps eyes, pigs brain and more!!

1. rmcrayne profile image93
      rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mugshot, you are more adventurous than I!  I could not eat the “sheep face soup” in Turkey.

15. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

i would try any food as long as i know what it is beforehand - i do not like surprises

16. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Yes I do and would try the local food. Why not? Can't kill me...right? lol

17. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

I've eaten local cuisine when abroad. It's pretty much all I eat now. Not that I like everything the portuguese dish up. The snails just won't do for one. No matter how nice they smell. I can't bring myself to eat insects.

But they do make delicious muffin type mini-cakes. I rarely miss having one for breakfast smile

18. PerfumeFan profile image59
    PerfumeFanposted 14 years ago

Absolutely!

I've been to Asia and I just love Asian cuisine. My favorites are Singaporean and Indian food.

19. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Some places I have traveled it would be a major mistake to eat the local food, unless you don't mind a stint in hospital.
    The local water is usually the culprit, and a nice fresh salad can make you very ill indeed. I try to just eat fruit that is skinned like bananas in these places.
    I worked in one country for 2 years without eating the local food. My employer was smart. Got all my food imported.

20. White Teeth profile image60
    White Teethposted 14 years ago

Depends on what you mean by local...when friends found out we were going to London they said the food would be terribly bland...so we ate Indian the whole time...but it was local Indian...

21. B.Z. Alixandre profile image67
    B.Z. Alixandreposted 14 years ago

When I was a teenager I went to Germany (which I had actually lived in when I was a kid) and I avoided two dishes while I was there because I was scared.  I avoided the local Bratwurst and the imported Turkish Doener (the o is actually umlouted, but I don't have that easy access: pronounced Derna) (which is as prevelant there as Mexican food in the US).  I finally ate them on the last few days I was there, and I really really regretted waiting so long because they were SOOO good.  So my lesson is learned.  I will always try local food now.

22. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Yep I love trying the food when I travel. That is how I find out that I like poi from Hawaii...they have excellent food there I never thought I would eat but YUM! I can't wait to travel more places and try new foods

23. The Rope profile image61
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

Always!  And PhuketIndex...I love the food in Phuket Thailand as well as the surrounding areas.  It can be quite excellent - and is always an adventure.

(Crazdw-great new pic!)

24. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

An absolute YES!!  Travelling involves more than the visual senses and there is no better way to experience a culture than through taste.  It's an adventure in itself.

25. sarovai profile image75
    sarovaiposted 14 years ago

Not often. I try to avoid , because of various reasons.

26. WriteAngled profile image72
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

Eating local food is one of the highlights of any travelling I do. That also includes trying regional and local specialties when I travel within the UK.

During a trip to India, our guide handed round a bag of samosas bought off a street stall in Jaipur. Everyone hesitated a bit, not wanting to be rude, but also concerned about the health aspects. He started laughing and pointed out the samosas had just been cooked in boiling oil, which would knock out any pathogens. They were the best samosas I've ever had!!!

In some countries, I do avoid uncooked salads, fruit that cannot be peeled and untreated water and I do not have ice in my drinks. The only time I failed was when we were invited to welcome cocktails in a Luxor hotel. Fortunately, I only had one. I felt a tiny bit wobbly the next day. Some people who had more were really sick. A woman who had gone into the reception early said later that she had noted some ice in the drinks. This had melted by the time I got there, so I thought mistakenly that I was safe.

Frogdropping, I had snails once, but really all I could taste was the garlic butter smothering them so I've never bothered to have them again.

27. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 14 years ago

I try to avoid local food in the UK and US. Mainly because many things described as food items are, in fact, artery bombs which explode many years later.

28. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I definitely eat the local food, but I always make sure to eat only hot meals.

29. maudine_05 profile image61
    maudine_05posted 14 years ago

definitely! I love to eat and this is the first thing I check wherever I go

30. NewYorker profile image59
    NewYorkerposted 14 years ago

Well.. No. I don't know why, but when I go to a foreign country, I try to find the nearest McDonald's, KFC or something I recognize from home.

I have been to China, and I couldn't eat Chinese food there. I can eat Chinese food in the States, but not in China.

I only eat American food.

31. Greg Cremia profile image61
    Greg Cremiaposted 14 years ago

Eating local food is the best way to get to know the locals.

32. Gentlesun profile image54
    Gentlesunposted 14 years ago

Dats defin8ly da 1st thng i do wen i get anywhre..And belve me wit da luks of m0st of da fuds u reali g0na loss ur apptte..As 4me i try wat ever kinda fud they hv,and stik 2da gud 1s.

1. Sab Oh profile image56
      Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Can anyone translate?

33. profile image0
    SensuousWorldposted 14 years ago

For us one of the main points of travel is to become emersed in the local and try to live as the locals do. We rarely stay in hotels or resorts but rather opt to find villas or homes and apartments to rent while traveling. A big part of experiencing the local culture is through the food and drink of the region you are visiting. I have found that some of the things I would never have tried just from what was in them or just what the name of the dish was turned out to be pretty good. Curried Goat for one...very tasty!

34. efeguy profile image39
    efeguyposted 14 years ago

yes yes

makes one know variety and how to prepare them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)