jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

What Travel Books would you recommend to someone who is visiting a place for the

1. ThompsonPen profile image78
    ThompsonPenposted 5 years ago

What Travel Books would you recommend to someone who is visiting a place for the first time

More specifically, Egypt. And to an American as well. I have come across some excellent series in the UK, but are either not applicable to some one coming from the States, or not as available.

2. hockey8mn profile image76
    hockey8mnposted 5 years ago

I would recommend Lonely Planet.  They appeal to a variety of people from poor college kids to a well off older couple.  Everything worth mentioning is covered in their books.  Very well done and provide useful tips.

1. ThompsonPen profile image78
      ThompsonPenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I found the Lonely Planet site, and it was quite helpful as well

2. Rebecca2904 profile image79
      Rebecca2904posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree with this - Lonely Planet are really great and pretty comprehensive.

3. Rensina profile image61
    Rensinaposted 5 years ago

Rough guides are the best. They are informatives and I have found their info to be pretty 'spot on' and they have great color pics to inspire.
    I have had a few major problems with some of the Lonely Planets info......travelling overland you don't really want to get it wrong when it means you have to drive an extra 800k's!!! ( Border crossing closed in Mongolia)
    Lonely Planet has also 'culled' their color photos and it seems to be a bit targeted to just the party, party mentality.

4. samnashy profile image81
    samnashyposted 5 years ago

Yes, rough guide or lonel planet.  But I think they are good to browse.  Speak to other travellers on your trip and you will get a good idea of the places that appeal to you.  Locals too, if you speak the same language.

working