Have you booked a trip through a credit card?

1. ThompsonPen profile image78
    ThompsonPenposted 4 years ago

Have you booked a trip through a credit card?

I found myself with an American Express Card, and saw you could book cars to rent though it. I see they also have travelers insurance. Both are cheaper than I"ve come across elsewhere, and I'm not particularly savvy on booking cars. Have you found any problems with booking a trip - any part of a trip - though a credit card company?

2. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 4 years ago

I have done this in the past. I've even booked entire trips with frequent flyer miles.

In general, it works. There are some cautions:
    1) Sometimes, there are restrictions or limitations, such as certain flights aret not available.
    2) Don't assume it's cheaper. It's likely to be, because the advertising didn't cost them much. They're out to get repeat business. So do compare with other solutions, such as booking through Orbitz.
    3) Check for hidden costs. Get everything in writing. Usually, multiple companies (a credit card, an airline, a hotel, and a car rental agency) are involved. One one promises, another may not deliver.
    4) Pay in full when the bill comes. They are really hoping that you will buy a vacation you can't afford, and they'll make money on the 20% + interest per month.

3. silviuflorin profile image61
    silviuflorinposted 4 years ago

Yes, plenty of times!
    Although I always book trough the most respected and popular booking engines, I still use a special card just for this. That means I do not have extra money on that card, in case something happens, just the sum needed for the booking.

working