jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Should you be paying for your weight or your seat?

1. DanielleCherise profile image88
    DanielleCheriseposted 5 years ago

Should you be paying for your weight or your seat?

Samoa Air is starting to charge passengers for their body weight, your fare varies on how much weight you will put on the plane. This could cause smaller people to save money, while the heavier might risk paying a higher fare. What do you think? If they ever tried this in the US do you think it would be fair to pay for your weight? Or should we all be charged the same price regardless?

2. profile image0
    Joanne M Olivieriposted 5 years ago

I think it is very unfair.  Everyone should be charged the same price.  Charging people based on weight is discriminatory. I think, if I remember correctly there was an airline in the US that did try this.  If it were tried here in the US there would be so many lawsuits against it that it would be tied up in the court system for years.  Great question.

DanielleCheriseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you that its discriminatory. I don't really understand the logic behind it, a single person's weight doesn't affect the flight of the plane enough to where weight should be an issue.

3. srsddn profile image92
    srsddnposted 5 years ago

I heard about it as a TV news. Immediately it reminded me of my visit to Mississippi about a decade back where I was told that 40% people there were obese. I wonder what is the justification of charging more from heavier people. I don't  think this will work as a disincentive to them. I feel it may not work for long and definitely will have some reactions.

Wow 40% obesity is a lot. Thank you for your thoughtful comment. I wonder about that too, I don't think a persons weight affects the planes flight that much. It isn't like the plane would be full with  300+ pound people.

4. Solaras profile image97
    Solarasposted 5 years ago

Per seat.  Kids and large adults each take up the same size seat.  It averages out for the airlines.

It should be per seat. I know a lot of people would disagree with me, but the only way I can see someone having to pay extra for a seat is if they take up more than one seat. It sounds mean but i think that is fair. What do you think?

working