jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How soon before a trip can you find the best prices for airline tickets?

1. nmdonders profile image83
    nmdondersposted 4 years ago

How soon before a trip can you find the best prices for airline tickets?

Is it best to purchase a ticket well in advance or wait until it's closer to the date to get the least expensive plane tickets (for U.S. and Canadian flights)?

2. epbooks profile image81
    epbooksposted 4 years ago

Whenever I book a trip, I usually book it about a month before I leave.  If I have to do it last minute, I try for at least 2- 3 weeks before.

3. KoraleeP profile image93
    KoraleePposted 4 years ago

I would say, It depends on how much of a gambler you are and where you are flying to, ie. domestic or international. There is a chance that a  couple of days before the flight prices will go down because the plane still has seats available. However, sometimes it doesn't work out that way, and the price of the flight could go up.

Chances are very good that you will also get a seat at the back of the plane, and if you're travelling with someone there may not be two seats together waiting for the last minute. This only really becomes an issue if you get travel sickness and require a seat ahead of the wings.

It's always a good idea to look at various airlines and flight deals, and not just watch one. For example, when I flew to Germany in January from Calgary to Frankfurt, Air Canada and Lufthansa were selling the exact same seats on the same plane, but Lufthansa was selling the seats for $400.00 less than Air Canada.

However, you need to watch some cheap travel deals. For example, Cheapoair, will sell you a really cheap ticket, but then they will send you an email (after they take your money) telling you that the seat is no longer available and they apologize for the inconvenience, but they can sell you another seat, at a much higher rate. That being said, they are good at refunding your money quickly if you choose not to buy the more expensive ticket.

There was a study done by Time magazine that found that tickets are cheaper six weeks before the flight.

As well, the cheapest day to fly seems to be Wednesday. When flying overseas anyways. So when you are looking for airline flights, make sure you try out different days of the week.

4. cebutouristspot profile image75
    cebutouristspotposted 4 years ago

Well on my experience.  I usually book 3 week in advance and I usually try to check the price of airplane ticket at 1 am they seem to be lower during that time smile   This is base on my own experience so solid proof

5. tirelesstraveler profile image80
    tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago

At least 10 days is a good rule. In a pinch I have had good luck with Orbitz..  They will do 24 hours before departure. Not always the best price though. They also will give you 24 hours to cancel a flight with only a $17 charge.
    If you have a family death call the airline.  Have the name of the funeral home and phone number handy.  Airlines sharply reduce bereavement fares, but only upon verification of death.

6. edhan profile image61
    edhanposted 4 years ago

So far I get good rates when book way in advance according to my vacation plan like 6 months to a year.