Has anyone been to Hawaii?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. profile image0
    healthylife2posted 10 years ago

Has anyone been to Hawaii?

What are the best things to do and see in Hawaii? We will be staying on Lanai because we are on a budget but can travel to the other islands.

2. Bk42author profile image93
    Bk42authorposted 10 years ago

I went to Maui about 10 years ago (not far from Lanai) and I loved it. The island of Molokai isn't too far either and I went snorkling there. Have fun!

1. profile image0
      healthylife2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Snorkeling sounds fun BK42author. Looks like there is a ferry or plane to get to Maui. I can't wait to go!

2. Bk42author profile image93
      Bk42authorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You will love it! smile

3. Rusti Mccollum profile image61
    Rusti Mccollumposted 10 years ago

I just got back and its expensive but we did 15 days touring the islands

1. profile image0

Are there any tours you can recommend Rusti? We will spend a few days on the other islands.It's expensive just to get there! Sounds like an awesome vacation.

2. Rusti Mccollum profile image61
      Rusti Mccollumposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Horseback riding, volcano and the waterfall tours are reasonable. However the submarines are great. Everyone sold out pearl harbor tour and they all loved it! Oh yes the luas gotta do those

3. profile image0

I have never seen a volcano and looks like the best luau is on Maui. A submarine does sound interesting and riding horses in Hawaii would be a dream come true. Thanks for the help!

4. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 10 years ago

Just to be able to say, "Yes," I've been to Hawaii (Honolulu/Maui) I'm responding to your question.  I doubt I'll be of much help in sharing my trip, since it was in 1969.  You were either a tiny tot or not even born yet.
    Thousands of young wives went to Hawaii in the late '60's......to meet up with their husbands for R&R from their tour in Viet Nam....(yet another one of our country's HUGE mistakes)
    Suffice it to say you will LOVE it.....it's beautiful, peaceful, WARM, relaxing and there's more to do than time to do it in.  In short, it's no secret, it's a Paradise on earth.
    I remember we saw the Dolphins entertain.....that's not so popular these days with all the protests for animal rights.....but I did get a kiss on the cheek from one of those precious mammals....
    I doubt that "Don Ho & Tiny Bubbles" means a thing to you......but we saw him sing and play his piano at the infamous "Duke Kahanamoku's" Night Club......who knows if it still exists and by now, Don Ho must be 100 years old...LOL    Are you having fun yet?
    You absolutely MUST attend a Luau and take a Hula Lesson!   
    Hey, healthylife.....tell you what.....just take me along and I'll be your personal  guide.  I can wing my way through any thing!
    Have a SUPER FABULOUS time!!

1. profile image0

I loved your answer and cool perspective on Hawaii fpherj48!! Loved the history and although those things were before my time it is supposed to still be paradise. Will definitely attend a luau and take a hula lesson and would love to take you along:)

5. novascotiamiss profile image69
    novascotiamissposted 10 years ago

We spent 2 months in Hawaii last year on 4 different Islands (Big Island Hawaii, Maui, Kaua'i and Oahu). Believe me, we are also Budget travellers but with some good planning Hawaii doesn't need to be expensive. Rule no. 1: Condos are the best choice as they are generally cheaper than hotels and you don't have to go out all the time for drinks & eating. Try to stay in each condo for at least 1 week as you will get better rates. Also, if you go during low or shoulder season prices are usually negotiable.
    2: I doubt that Lanai is a good budget choice. You have to get there by ferry from Maui and the choice of accommodation is limited (and probably quite expensive, same as food, trips, entertainment etc.). I would personally recommend Maui. It has a huge choice of accommodation & restaurants which keeps the price down. Maui has the most awesome beaches and the snorkelling is out of this world (right fro the beach - so you don't have to go on an expensive boat trip). If you have a rental car you can probably spend a whole month on Maui and go to a different beach every day. Take note: All beaches are public on Hawaii!!! So you don't have to go to a super fancy resort to go to a nice beach.  There are plenty of out of the way beaches which are totally uncrowded. We rented cars from various car companies, you have to shop around to compare deals. On Maui we used a local car hire which was a lot cheaper than the big companies and also provided a free shuttle from the airport. One of our highlights on Maui was the Haleakala Nationalpark where you can drive up to 10'000 ft  for awesome views and do some great volcano hikes.

Unless you go in peak season do not pre-book any local trips. Pick up coupon booklets at the airport and look for the cheapest deals locally (great savings).

I booked all our flights together and the inter-island flights worked out to approx. 60 dollars per flight that way.

And last but not least. Buy the Lonely Planet Guide for Hawaii. It gives you all the information you need for easy trip planning. Generally, you can do most of the activities by yourself if you know how and this book will tell you where to go, where to park, where to eat etc.

Have a great trip and enjoy Hawaii.

1. profile image0

Thank you noviascotiamiss! You have no idea how grateful I am for this information. I was nervous about doing Hawaii on a budget but now I think it is possible.I am so excited to go!

2. novascotiamiss profile image69
      novascotiamissposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Another important Point. The islands usually have a side where it's dry and a side where it rains a lot. Also it rains more during the winter months and is generally overcast

3. profile image0

I'm hoping the Spring is a little less rainy. I just ordered the book you recommended.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)