jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

What is your favorite non-Disney destination in Florida, and why?

1. Glenda Motsavage profile image82
    Glenda Motsavageposted 3 years ago

What is your favorite non-Disney destination in Florida, and why?

I've lived in Florida for the past 14 years.  Recently, I'm finding more and more "off-the-beaten-path" non-touristy little gems.  Where (or what) have you visited in Florida that was surprisingly refreshing and worth recommending?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/11696076_f260.jpg

2. Penny G profile image72
    Penny Gposted 3 years ago

Key West. It's not as commercial as you would think, all private little shops,casual, unique , lots of entertainment and fun things to do. You never know when you'll run into someone well known there. No need for cars either!

Glenda Motsavageposted 3 years agoin reply to this

We absolutely love Key West! The Ernest Hemingway Home, Maritime Museum, Harry S Truman Little White House, Conch Tour Train, Southernmost Point, Mallory Square, Duval St, and many other great things to see. Awesome restaurants & best conch fritt

3. Cari Kay 11 profile image92
    Cari Kay 11posted 3 years ago

The natural springs tubing at Kelly Park outside of Apopka.  The kids always have such fun there.

Thanks for your recommendation, CariKay. I have never been to Kelly Park, although it is only a short 1 hour drive from my home. I will check it out as the ratings on Trip Advisor are excellent. Love the photos of the lazy river & crystal clear w

4. favored profile image38
    favoredposted 3 years ago

I know it is a tourist thing, but I still enjoyed Cyprus Gardens and the smell of the orange blossoms.

Ah yes, my beloved Cypress Gardens - which has since been reincarnated into LegoLand. I, too, loved the laid-back "old Florida" feel of that former legend. Touristy? Yes, but it never seemed hectic like its Central Florida counterparts. May it RIP

2. favored profile image38
      favoredposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Say it isn't so! I'm so sad to hear that it's gone.  I guess you can tell how longs it's been since I was to Florida.

3. Glenda Motsavage profile image82

Yes, it's true! LegoLand, Florida opened 3 years ago on October, 15, 2011. I haven't been there yet, as it's mostly for younger children. Eventually I will visit, as it's the 2nd largest LegoLand in the world! I do enjoy looking at the Lego displays.

4. favored profile image38
      favoredposted 3 years agoin reply to this

At least it isn't a parking lot or a mall smile  Thanks Glenda

5. teaches12345 profile image94
    teaches12345posted 3 years ago

This is a good question.  Most people come to Florida to visit Disney. There is so much more to the state: beaches, museums, historical places, and the numerous fantastic restaurants.  I loved St. Augustine with all it's shops and historic value but I guess I most enjoy sitting on the beach all day and watching the ocean waves roll in.

I HIGHLY recommend St. Augustine - for its historic heritage, not only to the State of Florida, but for our nation! Also, the annual 'Nights of Lights' is a must see over the Holidays, 1 of Top 10 places in the world according to National Geographic!

working