jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Has anyone traveled abroad alone?

1. writingmom profile image62
    writingmomposted 3 years ago

Has anyone traveled abroad alone?

2. aesta1 profile image89
    aesta1posted 3 years ago

Yes, I have. I have done this a few times when I have a contract I have to do on my own and my husband is working. But I am more careful when I am on my own. It is nice to have your own schedule and freedom to do whatever you want. However, being alone is not much fun as you can't really share your experience with someone right there and then. If you're working is fine as most of your time is taken up by work but if your travel is for pleasure, ask a friend to come along or find a group to go with not necessarily from your place but when you arrive in a place, you can book some of these group tours and meet new people.

writingmomposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Ok. Great advice. I guess I have to find a group but I still want some free time to myself.

3. askformore lm profile image72
    askformore lmposted 3 years ago

I have travelled (almost) all over the world. Many of my travels were "alone", but you are never alone when you travel! You meet new people, and if you are on "your own time table", then it is much easier to change the route when you meet a new friend.

4. carolynkaye profile image97
    carolynkayeposted 3 years ago

I have a few times. The first time, I was 19 and went to Europe. I was in London for several days on my own before and after I did a group tour that looped around mainland Europe. Very fun! Traveling alone is definitely a confidence building experience, especially as a woman. It was a crash course in how to manage in foreign country, sometimes ones that don't speak English. Handling money/foreign currency, directions/subway, asking for help if needed and just looking out for my personal safety in a big city I've never been to. Now I feel confident traveling anywhere alone because of my experiences traveling overseas. My biggest tips would be pack VERY light. If you can fit everything in one rolling suitcase or a big backpack, you'll save yourself lots of headaches. I learned that the hard way after bringing like 5 suitcases on my first trip overseas. Don't know what I was thinking, lol. Get lots of rest your first couple days because jetlag can be rough. Also, avoid going out alone after dark or to any place shady. Either stay in your hotel or go out with a group. I did that and never felt unsafe in any of the countries I went to.

writingmomposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Oh wow! Yes I have learned how to pack light and that will be my concern when I go to Paris. Thanks!

2. carolynkaye profile image97
      carolynkayeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That's great. Paris was my fave city in Europe. I'm sure you'll love it.

5. liesl5858 profile image82
    liesl5858posted 3 years ago

Yes, I have travelled many times alone. I quite enjoyed it but it would be nice to have someone to talk with especially on a long flight.

working