jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

What age is old enough to travel abroad alone?

1. Suzie HQ profile image95
    Suzie HQposted 5 years ago

What age is old enough to travel abroad alone?

Having traveled alone myself at times, when would you allow your son or daughter travel to a foreign country alone? Is it something you have done?

2. profile image0
    WhydThatHappenposted 5 years ago

My parents were okay with it when I was 18, I went to Mexico with some friends. And I was allowed to travel inside the country alone to visit family or friends much younger than that.

Suzie HQposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks WhydThatHappen, I am sure you had a great trip away first time like that,do you think they would have allowed you go totally alone without friends? Thanks for your comments!smile

2. profile image0
      WhydThatHappenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think so, but I think my maturity level was a factor too. It wasn't just about age

3. livingabroad profile image76
    livingabroadposted 5 years ago

Personally I didn't feel ready to travel abroad alone until I was about 20. This was hardly a proper overseas trip as I met my mates in Dublin from the UK! My first major trip was at 23 where I went to live and work in America. Apart from that getting around your own country by yourself is usually ok when your about 16, I think.

My sister (18) is visiting Thailand this summer, but travelling with a friend. We will meet her in Bangkok as that is a completely different ball game for a blonde white skinned teenager!

I think parent should trust their instincts, if they don't think there children are mature enough, don't let them go. Simple. Teach them that will have to wait and earn it.

Hi ya livingabroad, Sound advice i'd echo. My first trip totally alone was to New Zealand at 22, having done the Canary Islands with the "girls" at 21. What you say regarding your sister is very true as a blonde who has traveled to Turkey and Tunisia

4. NC4Life078 profile image86
    NC4Life078posted 5 years ago

Personally speaking it depends on the person (maturity & comfortability). It is differen't not having anyone there that you know. This alone can make you feel out of place. Some may be used to traveling to many countries and interacting with different cultures. My buddy came over here from Germany when he was 18. Since then he has moved back but he did just fine. I would say it depends on where you're traveling too. This is because cultures vary between nations. For me, I think I was ready at 21. Lastly, if you're a woman I don't think you should be traveling alone anyways. This is due to safety reasons, a CCW won't work everywhere. And even if you were trained in martial arts you can be out numbered.

Maturity definitely is key, NC4Life078. Destination is a factor certainly, with so many cultures. Appreciate your comments

5. gmarquardt profile image87
    gmarquardtposted 5 years ago

I suppose it depends on where one goes. I would allow my sixteen year old into certain areas, but others would cause me some concern. So I would say that 18 is just about right for them to decide on their own.

Thanks gmarquardt, I think different factors have to come into play as you point out,appreciate your input!

6. profile image0
    mjkearnposted 5 years ago

I would think 18 as the law says at this stage you are an adult but I would also think it very much depends on the character and personality of the person,
    MJ.

Closed to reply

working