jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Which has the lowest carbon foot print: train, plane or car?

1. ptosis profile image81
    ptosisposted 21 months ago

Which has the lowest carbon foot print: train, plane or car?

Personally, for myself I would like to avoid TSA lines and driving through the snow for Thanksgiving or Christmas If traveling more than 1000 miles

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13044341_f260.jpg

2. iggy7117 profile image80
    iggy7117posted 21 months ago

I am going with trains because they can move many people or freight. The new engines use less fuel.

Traveling takes a while by train, I took the train to ill. and it took 36 hours. I flew back and the flight was 90 minutes.

ptosisposted 21 months agoin reply to this

I bet it would take even longer on a bus!  I would like to get a sleeper. I wonder if they do still have them like in the movies. Probably not. sad

3. profile image62
    peter565posted 21 months ago

I will have to say train. Because a great deal of people can travel on a single train

ptosisposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Yup, trains are 'greenest' but unless going to hobo it out and jump on a train while hiding from security - completely unaffordable.

2. profile image62
      peter565posted 21 months agoin reply to this

In some country public transport cost is definitely rising, the government need to find a way to keep the cost low, these are public service, not business, the price should be as low as possible

4. ptosis profile image81
    ptosisposted 21 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13045505_f260.jpg

So I was preplanning a trip and heard about the long TSA lines. Bus is the cheapest  and the sleep train is Waaaaaaay too expensive.   So coming from
    Tucson to Newark by plane
    Skiplagged (air-horrible)
    229 Newark Intl
    41 Newark Intl - Poughkeepsie (bus seat)
    270 TOTAL travel

BTW Newark Terminal is the dirtiest oldest hub, infamous for being disgusting

By Greyhound (because your age from lack of sleep that your hair will go gray!) - it all depends on the day:
    From Benson:
    119 jun 22  Wappingers falls
    171 jun 10  Poughkeepsie

and a sleeper train is so booked so far out that that can't go on the spur of the moment for a family crisis:

Amtrak jun22 'sold out' @ CHI
    Amtrak jun10 'sold out' @ CHI ALB
    jun15:
    sleeper =
    1295 !!!!! yikes!

Skippedlag seems to be the one to go with if I ever needed to get there the fastest and cheapest.  Awful reputation. United Airlines Orbitz Suing Skiplagged For Hidden City Ticketing

But I guess it is better to sleep on the floor of a terminal at the airport than to be jammed up for days on end in a bus and a sloshing bathroom. There are no sleeper buses in USA, but they are in other countries, where the roads are not as well maintained and so don't get any sleep from all the jostling. Plus have to buy 2 seats if want to sleep by yourself.

working