What's your preferred way to travel on vacation?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image80
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

What's your preferred way to travel on vacation?

Plane, train or ship?  Or do you go by car?  Which mode gives you, personally, a great vacation experience, and why?

2. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

Marcy...This is a difficult question for garnering just one answer.  For me, it depends on where I'm going.  Actually, I don't take "vacations," per say......I visit my children or other family or a few friends, who live out of State. 
    At one point, 2 of my 4 sons (and their families) both lived in Georgia.  This made it easy to see all of them in one trip.  The majority of the time, I fly.  Staying with my kids, makes it unnecessary for me to rent a vehicle.
    Two or three times, I have driven, only because I had a willing co-pilot.  I've not ever tried this trip by car, on my own and I don't believe I would want to.
    My eldest son & family moved from Ga. to California.  I think it's going on 2 years now and I've not ventured out to make that LONG trip.  Of course, they have come home several times, so I have seen them.  Although I don't mind flying, the thought of so many hours in flight, makes me queasy and uneasy. 
    I have traveled by train, 3 or 4 times and each time, I must admit, was an interesting and pleasant experience.  I enjoyed the fact that I had no worries or responsibilities for the trip itself, because I was actually "being delivered," LOL.
    I don't mean to sound like a spokesperson for Amtrack, but depending on where you are going, a train is GREAT.....more freedom and options for comfort, than other means of transportation.  You can sit and read, or visit with a traveler.....take a nap, view the scenery, get up and move about freely, have a bite to eat in the dining car.....all while going on down the track.  No need to stop  to do any of this and your not stuck like a sardine in an upright seat, the entire time (as in a plane).   
    Bottom line....I take a little time to seriously consider my choice of travel, before each and every trip.  Then I prepare accordingly, because it is really quite important to "plan" well, for the most enjoyable experience in travel.
    Great question, Marcy.....!!

3. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 11 years ago

I love a leisurely drive where I can get out and see whatever strikes my fancy, go off the "beaten path" of the interstate and go beyond touristy areas.

I am not a fan of flying since I had a close call with a flight. Since then, I avoid flying when possible. I would love to try a cruise, but with all the bad press cruise ships have received lately I'm leery of that also. 

Driving gives me control of the trip, the destination and the timing, so I choose road trips. smile

4. ChitrangadaSharan profile image92
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 11 years ago

There are some destinations, where you have to take a flight or train, because of the distance. But most preferred way to travel is definitely by car, along with whole family. You have the flexibility of time and you can take breaks at beautiful locations along the route. You can enjoy at some remote places too, where the train or the Plane will never take you. It is very exciting and lot of fun.

5. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Plane. It reminds me of all the trips I took in high school and gives me a sense of happiness. However, that's only being in the airport. Actually getting on the plane is a little stressful. But it's fantastic watching my husband. He has anxiety issues about airplanes. smile

6. Beata Stasak profile image79
    Beata Stasakposted 11 years ago

I am just packing to see another the land I have had in my mind for a very long time to explore, Canada, wherever I travel I just love to follow back roads, use domestic transport and visit people who live there, walk on foot where I can and just observe the ordinary lives enfolding in front of my eyes...I will get there by plane of course, but then I use domestic buses to meet fellow friends Candanians, travel with them for a short time to explore their beautiful country through their eyes....and then move on...for me traveling is exploration of new people, new land and new experiences so similar and yet so opposite different in every continent you enter....it is about the road you take not about destination....

7. profile image0
    Deb Welchposted 11 years ago

When I travel to visit my daughter and family - I always fly and usually with US Airways and try to stay at a hotel with an airport shuttle.  However - we plan a short road trip within 5 hours of driving this summer to different places.  I have taken Greyhound and Peter Pan Buses on vacations but never a train or a ship as yet.  I will never take a cruise after all the problems that have happened recently.  Yet - on my bucket list is to take a Mississippi Queen Steam Boat Cruise.  Good question Marcy.

8. profile image0
    anndangoposted 11 years ago

I've travelled by plane, train and automobile, which are all fine, but by far my preferred way to travel on vacation is by bicycle. I've toured on my bike through the east and the west coast of Canada, most of my province (Alberta), the Rockies and into British Columbia. Yes, it takes longer, but you are up close and personal to everything and you have time to savour your surroundings. You haven't experienced traveling through the Rockies until you've done it on a bike. Wherever it is you're biking, it's that sense of freedom I like - just you, your bike, the sky, the wind (hopefully at your back), majestic mountains, open prairie, the ocean - and all day to enjoy it!

9. Tonipet profile image78
    Tonipetposted 11 years ago

Hello Marcy. Depends on where we're heading. If a train is possible, I'd love to take that way -- the scenery is sure very relaxing, plus, traveling by train, to me, is something of a touch of old-fashion, lol. Planes are great, as well, when we needed to cross the seven seas.

My next choice is by car -- it allows many stopovers, coffee stop, tea stop,  cookie stop, butt stop, stretch stop, and all that. Every stop can be a worthwhile experience. Much much fun for a great vacation experience. Lovely question. Thank you.

10. nArchuleta profile image73
    nArchuletaposted 11 years ago

Definitely train. In Europe. I have to fly to get there, obviously, from Colorado, but I love taking the train all over. The ferry is a close second.

11. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8093670_f260.jpg

We flew to Europe but then bought a campervan and are driving around having a great time exploring ! We free camp a lot which we love doing ! We see so much more and have more fun than being stuck on a bus /train. We use ferries to go to places like Greece which we enjoy.
    We love train rides but would hate to just travel that way as it means having to be stuck to schedules and staying in hotels etc.
    We have also been in a horse /carriage/ kayak etc while traveling !

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)