jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Are you able to fall asleep on an airplane?

1. jaydawg808 profile image91
    jaydawg808posted 19 months ago

Are you able to fall asleep on an airplane?

I have such a hard time. Looking for things to try to get some rest on the plane.

2. Aime F profile image85
    Aime Fposted 19 months ago

Nope.  I've been on 10 hour flights that go overnight after I've already been up the whole day and not gotten a wink of sleep.  It's too loud, people are constantly moving, and it's an uncomfortable sleeping position (face down on the table is about as good as it gets).

I think I could probably swing it in first class but unfortunately can't swing the cost.  I always have to settle for spending the first half of my day somewhere catching up on sleep.

3. sangre profile image96
    sangreposted 19 months ago

No way can I sleep on them. I just cannot relax & I need to chat, listen to music or watch a film. Usually someone behind me does something that's not really loud but in a plane it appears lond & super distracting.

4. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 19 months ago

Do you consider passing out the same as falling asleep?
    Once while living in the DC area I had visited a friend in Florida. Going down I had flown stand-by because I had some flexibility about when I got there but I had to be back in time to go to work Monday morning so I had to buy a first class ticket for my return flight. First class was great! While we were sitting there waiting to take off the attendant came around and took drink orders, mine being Southern Comfort, and as soon as the plane was off the ground the drinks were delivered along with wonderful finger foods of meats, cheeses, and fruits. Then the attendant asked if I wanted another drink so I said okay. I was really enjoying an airplane flight for the first time in my life. Then the attendant asked me if I wanted another drink so I said okay. When she returned and handed me the drink she had one of those little bottles of Jim Beam in her hand and asked if I wanted her to mix the two brands because I was holding the last of the Southern Comfort. I looked at the glass and then at her and the little bottle and said, "You mean you've been giving me doubles?" Next thing I knew she was waking me up and asking if I was going to get off the plane. Best landing I ever had--and last drink I ever had on an airplane.

5. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 19 months ago

I usually dose off or catnap during a flight.
    Rarely have I had anything close to a "deep sleep" on a plane.
    One trip I took to Paris, France left Chicago at 10:30PM and the business class seats reclined to a horizontal position.
    However it still wasn't the same as being in my bed or a hotel bed.

6. Rangoon House profile image83
    Rangoon Houseposted 19 months ago

Sometimes I can fall asleep before the plane even takes off! Generally that is on a really early morning flight and when I have been up late the night before frantically getting things organised before I go away. It would be lovely to have that guarantee on long haul flights.