jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

Getting Over your Pets death

  1. writer boy profile image60
    writer boyposted 7 years ago

    One of my friends dog just got put down. Her name was Maddy, She couldn't move around but the sad part was that she was one of the nicest dogs ever. Anyway, the most common way for your pet to die is having them put down. This was the case for Maddy. What you need to remember is that they were suffering and it is the best thing for you and your pet. Look at the bright side you can always get a new pet. But be sure to keep your pet in your mind forever and keep a picture of them and if you want buy another pet and name it after your old pet. These ways will help you get through the tough times.

    1. distinctive1_mg profile image59
      distinctive1_mgposted 7 years ago in reply to this

      I don't think I could ever get used to that being "the bright side" sad

  2. AEvans profile image74
    AEvansposted 7 years ago

    Oh that is sad, I will pray for them , what kind of dog was she?

    1. writer boy profile image60
      writer boyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

      Black Lab

      1. AEvans profile image74
        AEvansposted 7 years ago in reply to this

        My friend owns 3 of them 2 chocolate and 1 black those are her kids , I know when my cockers get old it is going to be hard and my female just had 5 new babies her first and only litter, but they are so adorable and I hope that I find good homes. smile My prayers are with them as it is hard.sad

  3. greathub profile image76
    greathubposted 7 years ago


    I think it depends on which pet you are talking about. Dogs get too much attached to humans and vice versa. And its hard to get over the death of pet dog.

    I remember when I was a kid, I used to cry a lot when my pet chick died. It was almost like mourning.

    Now when I look back I laugh at what I used to do.

    But getting over a larger, more loving pet is much much more difficult.

  4. Sally's Trove profile image100
    Sally's Troveposted 7 years ago

    I'm glad you posted your thoughts, writer boy.  The loss of any pet is painful, whether it's a dog or a chick, whether it's large or small.

    I lost my cat, Pepper, 7 years ago, and that loss was painful.  This year, I lost her brother Ed, and that loss was devastating.  There were differences in their going.  With Pepper, she had cancer and we did all we could until the end.  There was time to think about what to do, and time to decide.  With Ed, there was no time.  He had a fatal reaction to a prescribed drug.  No one expected him to go so fast.  He was a ghost for four days until I decided to "put him down".

    Your message is right.  When the animal is suffering, and there's no way to remove the suffering, the kindest thing is to end it.

  5. TravelMonkey profile image59
    TravelMonkeyposted 7 years ago

    It is hard getting over the death of a pet, I had one as a child who was born around the same year as me, she died when I was 13 and it truly was one of the saddest moment of my life. My thoughts go out to those who have lost their pets.

  6. mdvaldosta profile image60
    mdvaldostaposted 7 years ago

    Pets are often members of the family, I've had a few difficult moments growing up with both cats and dogs. I think I cried over a frog I had that died when I was a kid... didn't know you had to feed the little guy hmm

  7. Eternal Evolution profile image86
    Eternal Evolutionposted 7 years ago

    My Boston Terrier Slade died not too long ago and i still miss him terribly even though i have 2 dogs now. That dog was there with me through a lot of difficult times.

  8. Whitney05 profile image67
    Whitney05posted 7 years ago

    It's very hard losing a pet. I've lost a few, and I'm on the road of losing another to bone cancer (she's not quite 2 years yet).

    I'm sorry to hear that you have lost your pet.

    I actually have a hub about tips to dealing with the loss of a pet > here