What was your first pet?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (36 posts)
  1. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 12 years ago

My first ever pet as a kid was a budgie named Jimmy. He was very talkative and was a real part of the family. We once left a tape recorder on when we went out and he was coming out with all kinds of funny things we'd never heard him say before.

What was your first pet(s) and tell me something about them?

1. brandasaur profile image61
      brandasaurposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A dog. smile We have lots of pet when i was a kid so i grew up as a pet lover.

2. Cresentmoon2007 profile image66
      Cresentmoon2007posted 12 years agoin reply to this

My first pet was a cocketiel, his name was pretty bird mainly because that's the only thing he could ever say. He barely ever stayed inside his cage. He'd fly around the house all the time and repeatedly say his name. I liked him quite a bit.

1. wearing well profile image75
        wearing wellposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A puppy called pudding,
        He was black,
        And had white on his back,
        Alas he didn't live long sad

2. aviannovice profile image84
        aviannoviceposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It was a collie, to my knowledge.  I was only 3.

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
        Dubuquedogtrainerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A German Shepherd - she was my fist playmate, companion and protector when I was 10 months old.

4. jenb0128 profile image90
        jenb0128posted 11 years agoin reply to this

My very first pet was a guinea pig named Miss Piggy (hey, it was the 70s). My parents got her for me when I was five, and I've been an animal lover ever since. I've had cats, birds, turtles, fish, hamsters, gerbils, (and more guinea pigs), and even insects. Right now, I share my home with a bird, a cat, and a colony of Madagascar hissing cockroaches (don't worry, they stay in a tank).

5. SakinaNasir53 profile image95
        SakinaNasir53posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi! My first pet was a blue Indian Ring Neck(IRN) parrot named Puffy. He was very cute. After a month or two we got another green IRN named Booboo. Unfortunately he died within 2 days due to cold.
        Later, I discovered that Puffy was suffering from behavioral problems. Sadly, he flew away from the window after staying 7 months in my house. Even after countless efforts to bring him back...we failed. I have also written a hub about Puffy.

Then, my mother was gifted a bugdie couple whom we named Candy and Booboo respectively. Two months later Booboo died and we gave Candy to a trusted pet shop; where she could stay with others of her kind. Also we couldn't see her alone.

Almost seven months back, I bought a baby peachfaced lovebird. I hand raised him and named him Mumu.I have written a hub about Mumu too.

Currently he is going to be almost eight months old. Two months back, we bought a white-faced violet roseicollis female lovebird for Mumu. We named her Lulu (it means pearl in Arabic).

I love birds a lot... Nice question asked icountthetimes.☺

3. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years ago

My first pet? Was a family pet and it was a German Shepard Police Dog. wink

4. IsadoraPandora profile image79
      IsadoraPandoraposted 12 years ago

Don't remember, probably a dog or a cat. I've had so many pets I cannot remember the first one. Most of my pets growing up were wild animals. lol

5. somedress2011 profile image61
      somedress2011posted 12 years ago

i cat ,white and black, very nice and cute , love she so much .

6. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

My first pet where I was old enough to remember him was a black and white alley cat named Jack who was blind in one eye. He was a real scrapper and ran away when I was 7. However, we had a cat when I was born who died before I was 5 and  thus I know him only from pictures and family home movies. He was a black cat that had originally been abandoned by a previous owner.

7. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

The Turtle With No Name.

8. Cara.R profile image66
      Cara.Rposted 12 years ago

My first pet was a Siamese cat named Pita. For pain in the a$$. She was a loyal, cross eyed cat that love Doritos and french fries. Eventually she got pregnant and the day she delivered; she came into my room, jumped on my bed and sat on my chest meowing. My mom said, "She picked you, you're staying home from school." (Cool) I was maybe 13 years old. 
      So I took an old pine hope chest put it on its side and lined it with old cabbage patch kids sheets. Around 2pm she started giving birth.  I watched her  pushed out four kittens and one was still born. Then she decided the living room was no place to raise her kittens and within days she brought them into my room and put them under my bed. I have no idea why she picked me or my bedroom but it was a cool experience.

1. natures47friend profile image71
        natures47friendposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This was amazing! You will always have that memory.

9. profile image0
      Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

A ginger cat called Gus.  We had him as a kitten, and our neighbour had his brother.  I was two, so it would hve been in 1974.  He died at Easter 1987.  He was a lovely, friendly cat.

10. MrRockster profile image60
      MrRocksterposted 12 years ago

My first pet was a Squirrel monkey named Bosco, we had him for 5 years til he died from a unknown cause. They would be hard to find as a pet today.

11. Skiffer profile image61
      Skifferposted 12 years ago

My first pet was a standard golden hamster named Whitey, because I loved to tickle his white belly.  I remember the day I got him and the day he died.

12. leahlefler profile image95
      leahleflerposted 12 years ago

Two ducks (Mallards) - named Chuck and Diana. Correction: two ducks with periods of up to 10 ducks, as Chuck and Di were rather "friendly" with each other!

13. Kris Heeter profile image72
      Kris Heeterposted 12 years ago

Mine was a dog - a German Shepherd named "Laddie"....and somewhere shortly there after, we had crow that sort of became a pet.  He would come and sit on my dad's shoulder and let us feed him.  I was rally little at the time but it's still a cool memory for me.

14. natures47friend profile image71
      natures47friendposted 12 years ago

We always had cats, a pig, ducks, chickens and a cow....but when we moved to town it would guinea pigs...two males. One was black, named Sooty and the other was an albino, named Alby (my brothers). We got a puppy later on who lived for 17 years, as did the next dog.

15. made2becourageous profile image59
      made2becourageousposted 12 years ago

A pop-belly pig. Her name was sweet sally. She loved my mother and me, but despised males. She hated my dad and my brother, which might be one of the reasons  she was one of my favorite pets that we had. After about 4 years of us having her and about 20 babies later (which we gave away) she was killed. Not by any of us though. We came home one day and went to go feed her and she had been shot in the head. From then on we only got animals that could be kept in the house. - I do want another one, but I dont think my husband likes the idea to much. Lol

16. kids-toy-box profile image71
      kids-toy-boxposted 12 years ago

We had several family pets--mainly dogs and a bunny but my first 'own' pet is my current pets... two budgies named Georgie and Frankie.

17. ByChanceTV profile image58
      ByChanceTVposted 12 years ago

I had a panda

18. DonnaCosmato profile image87
      DonnaCosmatoposted 12 years ago

My first "pets" were my dad's Blue Tick Coon hounds and my job was to feed them. I was terrified of them and used a stick to push the food dishes to them (he kept them chained.) My first pet of my very own (at about age 10) was my Cocker Spaniel Rusty and I've owned at least one dog (and sometimes more) ever since.

19. MissDoolittle profile image57
      MissDoolittleposted 12 years ago

I've had dogs from the day I was born, but I guess the first pet that I actually "owned" - looked after myself etc, was a rabbit called Bugsy. I was about 8 and was devastated when he died. sad

20. anonimuzz profile image59
      anonimuzzposted 12 years ago

A hamster, when I was about five years old.

21. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

...a rock...my family was really poor

22. Reality Bytes profile image75
      Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

My first pet was a blue parakeet, I picked him out right after he was born.  The guy hand raised him before I got him.  I wanted a dog but could not have one in the apartment.  I played with that bird like he was a dog.  He fetched and all  smile

23. bruzzbuzz profile image60
      bruzzbuzzposted 12 years ago

My first pet was a dachshund named Blacky. I loved that dog and remember him being like a best friend to me. My love of dogs comes from having him.

24. scentualhealing profile image58
      scentualhealingposted 12 years ago

A beagle name Pa'

25. profile image0
      Emily Sparksposted 12 years ago

My first pet was a cat named Daisy......she was a calico.  I had to give her up though...sniff.....

26. profile image50
      voip-providersposted 12 years ago

My first pet was a pug dog

27. jennzie profile image72
      jennzieposted 11 years ago

I've had pets since I was born, but the first pet that I brought myself is a Guinea Pig named Muffin. I've only had her since October. smile

28. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years ago

i just realized..this is a "i forgot my password" question....just sayin' tongue...or i should say the name of your first/fav pet...i can't remember

29. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
      Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years ago

This would make a cute children's book. I could illustrate the pictures.
      Can I have the rights to this thread?
      No? Darn.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)