I want to learn photography. Any tips?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Victoriaaa profile image59
    Victoriaaaposted 13 years ago

I love taking pictures and I want to eventually become better at it and start doing professional pictures. What can I study (without going to school) to learn about different cameras and photography elements as well as editing pictures? My grandfather use to be a photographer before he passed away and I've always been fascinated with taking pictures since I was little by watching him. Any advice is appreciated smile

1. profile image52
      loganrosiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You must have an artistic mind to be a good photographer. Moreover you need to be creative too.
      http://www.articlesbase.com/health-arti … 70354.html

2. profile image53
      BuenSaborposted 13 years agoin reply to this
    3. profile image0
      Charlinexposted 13 years agoin reply to this

With today's digital cameras, it is not hard to take decent photos. However you must learn Photoshop and other image enhancing softwares if you ever want to go pro.

Can you teach yourself? Of course. But you need to start at the right direction. Good luck.

4. Erika Lynn-Marie profile image60
      Erika Lynn-Marieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Learn under someone else, that is the best way to learn (5yrs experience)

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

There are several good photographers on the site. I suggest you check out Blue dog and Alahiker.

3. theirishobserver. profile image62
    theirishobserver.posted 13 years ago

To be honest I have read a great deal about takiking pics - but the simple answer is to buy a digital camera and practice.....I get good feed back here on hub pages about my pictures....so take some pics post them and see what happens smile

Victoriaaaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'll definitely try that out. Thanks! smile

4. Aiden Roberts profile image69
    Aiden Robertsposted 13 years ago

Hi Victoriaaa

If you want to be a photographer; study photography, not in an educational sense but in a creative sense. Digital camera's are great but only in manual mode were you are controlling what the camera is doing will you learn anything.
    In order to be a photographer all you actually need is a camera, to be a good photographer; one that makes good pictures (notice I said makes not takes)you need to understand what the camera is doing, have an understanding of light and composition and then it depends on what kind of photographs you want to make.
    Get yourself a cheap fully manual 35mm slr with a couple of lenses, buy a load of film and fire it all off (be careful can be expensive) then study what you took, why you took it, what could make it better and how do you achieve that.
    Then look on internet at some classic picture, Ansel Adams is a personal favourite and study how those pictures were taken, what makes them classic.
    Sorry for going on quite interested in photography.

When buying any kind of camera, is there anything in particular that I should be looking for? Like brand or quality or anything? When it comes to cameras, I normally just get one that's "cute" but if you're talking about a camera that I have to get lenses for, then I'm not too experienced with that lol.

1. Aiden Roberts profile image69
        Aiden Robertsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have found both Nikon and Canon very reliable and robust. They are good 35mm film SLR's (single lense reflex).

You do not need a top end camera; the more basic the better.

The Nikon N50 or N70 is ideal for starters,  or any of the Canon Eos range. You can use them in full manual mode or full automatic mode, there are lots of configurations in between in relation to shutter, aperature and speed but it will get too technical here so I will shut up now.

The main thing is pick up a cheap one and play with it; it really is the best way to learn. You can also buy a digital camera but that takes away most of the fun and learning.

Here is an exercise I used to do: Take a picture with a digital camera; doesn't matter what of. Now get an SLR, learn the basics and take the same picture but this time you will be the one making the picture, not some processor that doesn't have feelings or a photographers eye.

Compare the two pictures, you will not be dissapointed with your efforts.

Thanks soo much! I'm definitely going to invest in a camera and try that exercise that you mentioned.

5. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

this is something I have always wanted to do too, unfortunately the cost has been a bit of a no go, and time constraints are pretty pressing when self employed!

6. travelespresso profile image69
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

If you're serious about learning about photography then my advice is to get a good Canon or Nikon SLR camera.  Digital is just fine and the Canon EOS range is excellent.  As Aiden Roberts said you can operate them in both automatic or manual mode or even somewhere in between so they are very forgiving when you are learning.

If you're anything like me (and people like to learn in different ways)you will benefit from courses.  I've taken a few - some at a community college and some directly with a professional photographer.  In each course I learned something new and I learnt much more about my camera.  Read the manual too!  It can be rather tedious but its essential.

Also consider joining a photographic club.  In fact if you have one near you, you might be able to go along and talk to the seasoned photographers.  They will be able to give you lots of advice.  So too will a really good photography store.  I've found the individually owned ones are the best as they are usually staffed by enthusiasts.

It's an awesome hobby!

7. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Hello Victoriaa, welcome to hubpages. agvulpes has a hub that reviews SLR cameras and knows quite a lot about them.

There are some photos on his camera hub showing the results of using different lenses. Very informative! smile

8. agvulpes profile image86
    agvulpesposted 13 years ago

Hello Victoriaaa, just my old 2 cents worth here. I will argue against Aiden's suggestion to go for a 35mm camera.  There are a number of reasons for this, but the main one is cost. The cost of film and processing is getting too expensive to just 'play with'! As earnestshub has said I have written a number of Hubs on this very subject. I will not promote them here but if you are interested pop over and have a look.
    My suggestion  is to buy a "point and shoot" camera of a well known brand within the budget that you set!  The camera would have at least 3.1 megapixels and the highest 'mechanical' zoom lens you can get. Buy the highest capacity SD card you can afford!
    My own camera is a Canon Powershot A400 and has done good service for about 4 years. I have taken over 3000 photos with this camera and it has never let me down. One advantage is that it only uses standard AA batteries!
    Then as everyone has said 'go shoot some pictures' practice makes perfect! cool

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have a  nikon (digital) and just take lots of pics - I don't consider myself a photographer.  I just like having some fun with it - for me.  Last weekend I took around 400 pics of crows and about 100 of surfers  and selected 4 that I liked and trashed the rest.  Next year i want to buy a longer lense - I want to get closer....I'll pop over and read your hubs!

1. agvulpes profile image86
        agvulpesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is the point I was trying to get across to Victoriaaa. If you go down the track of 35mm you have to pay for the processing before you see the result. With digital you can 'delete' before the shots even leave the camera, making way for more good shots.
        Although many pro's would not approve of this hit and miss method, it is a good way to start your learning curve and find out what works for you! cool

2. Victoriaaa profile image59

Thanks! I'll definitely get out more and take more pictures. Being that it's summer, there's so much activity that goes on! But for now, I'll use my regular digital camera. I don't know how close I can get with 3x Optical Zoom lens, but hopefully close enough to capture something cool!

1. travelespresso profile image69
          travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can use the software that comes with the camera to experiment with editing too.  Do go into the camera settings to check that your settings set to take the best quality possible.  You'll fit fewer photos in your memory, but you've have much better quality photos. Have fun!!!

Darn, unfortunately I lost the software sad. But I'll definitely try that though. I have a 4GB memory card ready to be put in use!

1. travelespresso profile image69
              travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Darn!  That's a real shame because even using the edit functions at a basic level can change photographs a lot.  For example, some quite average photographs can be improved immeasurably by cropping them.

well is there a software that I can download for free that could give me the same results? Would it help for me to have something like photoshop?

9. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

There is lots of good free software for your camera at snapfiles.com, including a free program almost as good as photoshop.
    Go for the ones with the most stars. smile
    Start here on their freeware page. http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/
    The graphics software is near the top of the page in the middle. smile

1. 49lart profile image65
      49lartposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Photography is about seeing images, being creative with ideas, lighting, texture and design. It is best to set up one task a week such as portraits out doors using white reflectors. The best camera is one that has manual setting ability and a good zoom range.

Thanks a lot! I'll definitely keep this in mind.

10. Sunny_S profile image58
    Sunny_Sposted 13 years ago

Good camera. Good scerery. Good timing. Good way of viewing things differently.

11. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

other than good camera, the essential techniques, and the desire - be in the right place at the right time looking for the angle others didn't see and get up early in the morning to catch the sunrise on your subject -

photograph around the seasons and in all kinds of light -

keep your photos and videos organized so you will always be able to actually use them.

Take the photo even if you don't think it will turn out for some reason -

like with any art - don't think of the money you're going to make or what you have spent while you are making your photos -

don't be afraid to get rid of the obvious failures that aren't up to your standards - but if you are afraid you'll dump something good, put it in a MAYBE file and go back and look at it a month or so later and then make the decision whether to dump.

photography is alot about editing, just like good writing!  You can crop and otherwise manipulate your image to get it right - don't be afraid of the technology - its fun!

Thanks so much for your insight!

12. jeremiah.swenson profile image60
    jeremiah.swensonposted 13 years ago

Hey great! The first thing they teach in art school is called the "Rule of 3rds". Whatever it is your taking a picture of, imagine a transparent tic-tac-toe board over top of it. Now, where the lines cross should be the focal points of you picture. Forget what we learned in elementary school where everything needs to be right in the middle of the page....that makes people feel uncomfortable. Oh, and simply take a LOT of pictures...it is the best possible thing to do and with digital cameras it is cheap! Good luck smile

13. H.C Porter profile image81
    H.C Porterposted 13 years ago

If you want to learn the art of photography start with a good camera. I recommend a Canon or Nikon (like I noticed many others have) I use a Canon, and I love it-but the lenses can be costly.
    If you are looking for a starter camera consider a Sony. The lenses are less expensive because the stabilizer is in the camera-not the lens...which is not true for Canon. Sony is also lighter than Nikon's and Canon's and for someone attempting to get familiar with a camera...it serves its purpose well. Once you have your camera...Read about it---learn the settings and then play with it.
    Although Sony, Nikon, Canon all have an AUTO...learn about ISO and how to decide what ISO speed you need to use for a shot (this takes practice---and wont come overnight). Then practice, practice, practice...Take pictures of the same object, same angle on different settings (different ISO, with and without a flash, play with the saturation +/- and the white balance setting +/- just to see what the effect are of each of these different settings).
    As you get better and more confident, upgrade...buy more lenses...buy filters... buy reflectors or whatever your heart desires...but proceed at your own pace and one new item at a time so you can learn how to use and utilize each piece of equipment as your camera bag fills up.
    Have fun, and practice makes perfect...no matter which advice you decide to take  smile   I've been in this field for almost 13 years and one thing is fact---we all had to start off somewhere and all had to ask questions when we didn’t understand...so if you should need more suggestions/ ask away smile

14. philosotographer profile image60
    philosotographerposted 13 years ago

“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.” – Ansel Adams

I became a self taught photographer in late 07, because I desired to document my children's lives and could not afford a pro every time I wanted to capture our special moments together.  So I began googling the words in the menu of my little Sony Cybershot I had to discover what ISO was, what aperture was, what shutter speed was etc.  I absolutely fell in love with photography as an art and developed my own unique style due to my no influenced approach of a "photography degree".  I now have a collection going on a 15 city tour from San Antonio TX, to Washington D.C.  Liberty Let's Roll. Needless to say I was honored to be asked for my images of Ol Glory to go along the tour. I wanted to take a picture of something as common as the American Flag, something that has been photographed millions of times by millions of people and make it different to prove that I deserve the title of an Artist.  I accomplished just that and now my "AMERICA" collection is heading to D.C.  I have sold pieces that now reside in my State Capitol building because they are different including portraits of the Capitol itself, because they were Different.  I have created a handful of other themed images that have never been done by any artist in any medium, again to prove I deserve the title of an Artist.  My POINT is not to seem like I'm bragging, and I feel sorry for those who think that,  I have just noticed that "self proclaimed" "photographers" are becoming as common as car owners calling themselves drivers.  In respect to the Art of Photography, I wish people would first try to accomplish something first with their imagery rather than just being able to shoot a portrait of someone standing against a wall, putting their initials on it, and then networking as a photographer.  I encourage people to explore photography as an art because it can be liberating, but I ask for you to not become one more of the millions disrespecting it as an art.

1. philosotographer profile image60
      philosotographerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A correction I'd like to make of one of the sentences I wrote. I meant to say that I developed my own unique style due to my non influenced approach vs that of a photography degree.

2. Victoriaaa profile image59

Wow, thanks a lot for your input and congrats on everything that you've accomplished. I agree with you, I think that photography is an art that you have to discover yourself to fully appreciate it.

1. charlottelacar profile image61
        charlottelacarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Discovering and enjoying at the same time. You must capture things related to your interest to become more successful in this field.

15. Island Hopper profile image60
    Island Hopperposted 13 years ago

Hi Victoria. My latest hub has some good tips.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Turning-Vacatio … s-Into-Art

16. Orcatek profile image60
    Orcatekposted 13 years ago

As others have said, take pictures, lots of them. Give yourself a challenge.  Fill box with slips of paper with emotions, colors and shapes.  Then each day pick a slip of paper from the box and try to capture it in a photograph.  Try to see how many ways you can show love or green or oval in a photograph.

17. elayne001 profile image78
    elayne001posted 13 years ago

I took a photography class at a local college. It was great fun to be challenged to bring in something original and intriguing. I did write a few hubs about photography:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Photography-Children

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-backup-d … n-vacation

http://hubpages.com/hub/Pictures-from-t … re-of-Oahu

Good luck and have fun.

18. mypleasurefantasy profile image75
    mypleasurefantasyposted 13 years ago

I have started a hub on photography, and I just touched on the basics of it, especially with form and narrative. Both important things you need to know and understand in photography. I have been doing professional photography for 10 years now and I think I am going to share my knowledge. Both school based and trial and error. So if you would like to check it out, you may learn something

19. minhhich profile image59
    minhhichposted 10 years ago

Start with learning to see light, shadow and shapes. Then grab the best point and shoot camera you can find. Start snapping away

You can find some camera buying guides and reviews to help choosing a camera

20. Gaurav Kumar393 profile image61
    Gaurav Kumar393posted 9 years ago

Checkout link below they provide free 2 months professional photography video tutorials. you can learn basic to professional photography for free from here. if you already know some photography than it will Improve your photography skills and help to learn new tricks.  Get Enquiry for your free video photography tutorials.

digitalphotographytricks.comyr.com

Learn with fun.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)