Photographers and photography enthusiast~ what type of camera do you use?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (32 posts)
  1. cre8ivOne profile image68
    cre8ivOneposted 11 years ago

Photographers and photography enthusiast~ what type of camera do you use?

I am saving up for a nice digital camera and I am wondering about what brand and models I should consider.  My budget is under a $1000.

2. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 11 years ago

I have 3 cameras
    Shen Hao 5"x4" field camera
    Bronica 645 medium format SLR
    Canon EOS 33v 35mm SLR
    I also have a digital, just a toy really, a Canon EOS1100D , I use it for taking snaps and pics for here and eBay.

cre8ivOneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey Mick, which camera give you the best bang for your buck?  I am missing having a nice camera and I always lean towards Canon but am looking for what other photographers have to say.

2. MickS profile image60
      MickSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.  I use the 3 film cameras for different purposes, and the digital as a toy.
      The field camera for landscape and pinhole, the Bronica for more detailed stuff, the 35mm for macro.

3. cre8ivOne profile image68

Mick, I am a bit of a novice, and am looking for a good camera to get back into taking high resolution pictures.  My goal is to take my daughter's senior pictures.  Had a Yashica back about 20 years ago, loved it.

4. MickS profile image60
      MickSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It depends on what you want, I prefer film, and am interested in art photos, and detailed macro, and interested in processing my own, so I went for good quality film cameras. You may prefer the ease of digital. I don't want, or need instant results.

5. cre8ivOne profile image68

Thanks Mick, I will probably use digital but I am taking everyone's advice into consideration to see what people are using.

6. sleepylog profile image61
      sleepylogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow and here I thought I was the only one in the world who used a Canon 1100D! Nice to see they're not dead yet, they really are a neat entry-level DSLR.

3. mr-veg profile image61
    mr-vegposted 11 years ago

hey Dawn, check out this one Sony - Alpha SLT-A65VK 24.3-Megapixel DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Zoom Lens
    Also read reviews on best buy and other sites about it you surely will like it !! smile

Thanks Mr-Veg!  I will certainly check it out!

2. mr-veg profile image61
      mr-vegposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So Dawn, did you decide on any camera yet smile ... Looks like you got tons of nice suggestions out now smile ... btw whose pic or which pic you will take first when you buy the camera smile

3. cre8ivOne profile image68

mr-veg~ Hey, thanks for stopping back!  I indeed did get a ton of wonderful advice and suggestions here.  I have some time this afternoon and I am going to start looking at all of these cameras.  My first picture, hmm let me see, I have many plans!

4. profile image0
    Lynn S. Murphyposted 11 years ago

I have the Canon Rebel T2i and I love it. Very versatile - you can swap out lenses, 18 megapixels.

Thanks Lynn, I will be checking this camera out too!

5. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

We just bought a Nikon D7000 but it was slightly over $1000. I think Canon EOS are wonderful cameras.  I also bought a small Nikon CoolPix camera 12 mp, for just $70 and it takes wonderful pictures too!

Thank you duffsmom, I will check into the Nikon and the Canon EOS cameras.  I am getting really anxious to buy my camera!!  Still saving up the money so I have a little time to decide. smile

2. duffsmom profile image61
      duffsmomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We've purchased several cameras from Adorma.com. They have good prices and service - plus I saw a note on the site that they purchase used equipment.  Good luck with your search.

6. sallybea profile image95
    sallybeaposted 11 years ago

I use a Nikon D200 with a Nikon 18-200mm lens + a Sigma 100mm Macro Lens. I love both these lenses and would recommend them to anyone.

Thanks Sallybea,
      I will check it out!

7. Ratatosk profile image57
    Ratatoskposted 11 years ago

I´m loving to use my nikon D90. My former camera was a Minolta Dynax but for the digital age now I have my Nikon.

This thread is turning out great!  I am getting so many good ideas here. Thank you, I will check out this camera!

8. Gina145 profile image68
    Gina145posted 11 years ago

Most of the people here seem to be suggesting DSLRs. They're good, but once you start buying lenses you might find your camera bag getting quite heavy. A newer system is mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses. They're a lot smaller and lighter than DSLRs and can produce really good results too. I've come across a few people who have sold their semi-professional DSLRs and changed over to mirrorless for its portability.
    I currently have both a Canon EOS 7D and a mirrorless Olympus E-PL1. I carry the Olympus everywhere I go and only take the Canon with me when I know I'll need to take shots that the Olympus can't handle, mainly because I only have one lens for the Olympus at the moment.
    I've written Hubs about Canon DSLRs and the mirrorless system that may be of help to you.

Gina, I am very interested to see about the differences in these cameras.  Thanks so much for suggesting that I compare!

2. Gina145 profile image68
      Gina145posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Buying into a camera system needs a lot of research. Once you've started acquiring lenses it's very costly to change over. The more knowledge you acquire the better. Visit dpreview.com for more information.

9. brianrock profile image85
    brianrockposted 11 years ago

In the past few years, I've owned a Canon t1i and a Canon t2i. I'm really impressed with the improvements they made with the t4i (higher ISO is important for me, since I shoot a lot of indoor and low-light action), and I would highly recommend the Canon EOS Rebel line. If you do shoot action or in low light, then the Canon t4i is worth the upgraded price; otherwise you can save a little cash with the Canon t3i.

If you're not going to buy a separate telephoto lens, then you might want to upgrade to the 18-135mm lens. When I was on vacation this summer, I used my 18-55 as a "walk around" lens without my camera bag, and I found myself wishing that I had a longer lens on my camera.

The other thing that no one has mentioned is a flash. If you're taking of pictures of people indoors (i.e. at a party, a wedding, a family gathering, whatever), then having an external speedlite so you can bounce the flash off the ceiling is an absolute must. There's simply no comparison between pictures taken with a bounce flash, and your typical party pictures taken with a straight-on flash (like a point and shoot camera, or a dSLR with its pop up flash).

Incidentally, a Canon t4i with an 18-135mm lens and a Canon 270 EX II speedlite is roughly... $1,000 on Amazon right now.

Brian, thank you very much for your comment.  I am so thankful to all you guys for your help on this.  I want to take my daughter's senior pictures and also will take low light pics when my daughter's band is performing so I will check out the t4i !

2. Gina145 profile image68
      Gina145posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The T4i is the same camera as the Canon 650D mentioned in one of my Hubs. Canon has this nasty habit of giving cameras different names in different countries. If I didn't already have a 7D, I might have been seriously tempted to buy one.

10. jaydawg808 profile image80
    jaydawg808posted 11 years ago

I have a Canon 350D (Rebel XT) with the kit lens and a 50mm 1.8, along with a Speedlite 430EX II external flash.  This works well for me and what I like to take pictures of.  Remember, it's not all about the camera, but rather how well you know your camera and your technique.  smile

Thank you Jay.  Well, I love taking pictures but it has been a long time since I had a manual camera. Relearning

11. nifwlseirff profile image93
    nifwlseirffposted 11 years ago

I recently got a Canon 650D (Rebel T4i) - great value for money and a fabulous entry-level DSLR, especially if you get a deal on the kit lenses.
    I had a separate budget for higher level lenses, so I only got the body.
    This model camera body has worked well for both pro (paid) shoots, and private work - couldn't be happier!

Thank you so much!  I am getting closer to the big purchase so every comment counts.  I can't wait to start shopping them out.

12. LauraTallo profile image60
    LauraTalloposted 6 years ago

I own a Canon 5 D MIII as a back up camera, and I shoot with my Canon 5D MIV.  I love photography, and I love working with people. I especially enjoy little children. I have also been a teacher for over 25 years, so I guess that it is natural for me to enjoy doing children's portraiture.  You can see my work at www.lauratallo.com

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)