jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Calling all Crafters: Booth Success Stories.

1. danielleantosz profile image84
    danielleantoszposted 5 years ago

I am a bit new to selling my crafts (less than a year) and I was wondering if any more experienced crafters have tips on a better booth?  I set up and a local art walk and a farmers market, but am looking for tips. Thanks!

2. Hestia DeVoto profile image60
    Hestia DeVotoposted 5 years ago

What I've learned at craft shows is that it helps if people can walk into your booth space to see things up close.  Also, sellers who stand up and make eye contact with people who walk by do better than people who sit in their booths.

1. danielleantosz profile image84
      danielleantoszposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks!  I always try to engage with people without seeming pushy.  I am currently keeping my booth quite small because it is easier to set up and break down, which allows me to stay open a little longer than other vendors.  I appreciate the advice!

3. Hestia DeVoto profile image60
    Hestia DeVotoposted 5 years ago

I'm going to be at an outdoor event in about a month, hosting an informational booth and having an arts-crafts feature for kids.  I'm the one who got chosen to work up the booth design because I seem to be a bit better at it than the other people involved...LOL.

We're going to have a pop-up so that we have sun protection, and I'm going to sew a drape for the back "wall" to help control traffic and for visual interest.  We'd like to have two smaller tables but otherwise keep the booth open and inviting.

4. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

I worked sales and craft fairs for several years.  Here are some things to keep in mind. 

Have things up at eye level in several areas.  Items placed on a flat table are not as visually interesting.  Depending on what you sell you can do this in a variety of ways.

Use mannequins or other things to display wearable craft items like jewelry, bags etc.

Use a contrasting table cover.  Black works nicely, but is prone to looking very dirty very quickly - which will backfire.  I used to use a black or dark table covering with white lace for more elegant things and in the spring a nice bright, but pastel yellow table covering.  You want bright and sunny not retina burning wink

Otherwise smile and engage but don't be pushy.  Say something to the effect of if I can answer any questions for you let me know...

Also make the environment pleasing and make it "flow" well.  don't jam pack booths where it's too much going on, but don't make them too sparse either.  Have everything flow clockwise and be standing more than sitting.  Look busy.  Nothing is more alluring than a busy crafter wink

I did soaps/lotions and handed out small samples attached to business cards.  If you can do that somehow or make a very interesting business card (textured or featuring your art somehow) do that...

5. danielleantosz profile image84
    danielleantoszposted 5 years ago

Thanks for the great advice!

6. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

you're very welcome smile your question actually inspired my latest hub which I hope you will also find useful.  "Craft Fair Strategy Guide - Increase Profits and Gain Repeat Business"

7. 0
    marellenposted 5 years ago

I think you are selling jewelry, if I'm correct. Peg board works really well for this. Spray paint it black and use "S" hooks to hang your jewelry or find something less noticeable. Maybe even spray painting your s hooks might work too.  Eye level is the key and peg board does a nice job.  Good luck.