jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

Pixelated images

1. snakeslane profile image81
    snakeslaneposted 5 years ago

Is there a "Pixelated Images Guide for Dummies" available on Hub Pages? I seem to be missing something. Can anyone suggest a link?

1. Bldg an Architect profile image80
      Bldg an Architectposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What exactly is the problem?  Are you sure your image is high enough resolution to start with?

You can check the image size by right clicking on the file and going to properties>details.  Under Image, it should give you the dimensions of your picture.  (If you're in Windows Explorer single clicking on the image and then looking at the bottom of the window will also give it to you.)

As a rule of thumb you want 72 dpi or ppi for screen viewing.  (72 pixels per inch--you can divide it out to see if your image is big enough)

2. kenneth avery profile image81
      kenneth averyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hello, snakes,
      Bldg is right. Follow his advice and I was formerly a victim of this problem and I just eye-balled the artwork that I was going to use and if it even appeared the least bit blurred, I chunked it or used it at 1/4 the size. I wish there were a "Watermark Guide for Dummies," so I could buy one. Hope this helps.

snakeslaneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Kenneth, appreciate your quick reply.

1. kenneth avery profile image81
          kenneth averyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

you are most welcome, snakes. This is where I say most of each day--on Hubs. Glad to help.
          Take care.

2. snakeslane profile image81

Thanks Bldg, that's a start. I think I need a step by step guide, so many variables, how to scan an image to start with. What settings to use (resolution) when taking a photo with cell phone. And then the whole process right up to publishing. If the photo is viewed full width, half width, or quarter width, how does that work? And what about in a slide show view when photos are viewed large? How does one know correct settings (resolution) for all these variables?

3. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Basically make sure a picture for full size display is at least 500 pixels across.

4. snakeslane profile image81

Thanks psycheskinner, at least 500 across, does that mean the higher number the better with the finished  (published) product?

1. psycheskinner profile image81
      psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Higher numbers are safer to ensure no pixelation. But Hubpages will downsize larger pictures, not just post them as submitted.

I think I am starting to 'get' it, thanks again.

5. Bldg an Architect profile image80
    Bldg an Architectposted 5 years ago

Eureka!  I think this answers most of your questions.  http://squimpleton.hubpages.com/hub/How … ge-quality

This link was really helpful, thanks again.

6. snakeslane profile image81

Oh wow, will check this out, thanks Bldg.

working