jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Why Do Modern Cars Have 3 Brake Lights?

1. wj-writingjockey profile image60
    wj-writingjockeyposted 4 years ago

I guess Safety.
    But what else can be the reason.?

1. Hugh Williamson profile image89
      Hugh Williamsonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Safety is the only reason that comes to mind. Police cars used to have a second set of brake lights added, mounted in the rear window long before the 3rd lights came along.

The higher mounting level makes them more visible when cars are bunched up bumper to bumper.

2. timmathisen profile image91
    timmathisenposted 4 years ago

"In 1974, psychologist John Voevodsky tested a small, inexpensive gadget that would eventually make U.S. highways much safer," according to a research article cited on the the American Psychological Association website. "The gadget was a third brake light, mounted in the base of rear windshields so that when drivers pressed their brakes, a triangle of light warned following drivers to slow down."

3. 0
    oldandwiseposted 4 years ago

I would guess because of the low profile of many cars. If you follow one too closely and they hit the brakes, the one in the back window can be seen. Where the conventional brake lights are hidden do to profile differences.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's not so much that regular lights are hidden, but that the third light is more directly in the line of sight of a following driver.  It is thus more easily seen.

4. Tusitala Tom profile image89
    Tusitala Tomposted 4 years ago

I can recall when motor vehicles didn't have brake light or turn indicators. Some still had mechanical brakes (as distinct from hydraulics)  Yep, I'm an oldie.  You used to have to be sharp, really on the ball.  Hand signals for turns (the driver's window was always wound down) Big trucks had wooden broom handles with plywood hands on the end of 'em.  No automatic transmissions either, all manual-gear changes with no synchro on first.

Things are definitely a lot easier now.