jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Best-Educated Americans Experience the Most Stress at Work

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

Best-Educated Americans Experience the Most Stress at Work

Chad Brooks, BusinessNewsDaily Contributor
    Americans with the most education are experiencing the most workplace stress, according to a new study.
    The elevated levels of stress which relate to a variety of workplace issues, including balancing work and home life could lead to high turnover of businesses most-valued staff, the study researchers say.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/201 … ressatwork

I would have thought blue collar workers would have the msot stress...hmm

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It entirely depends upon the type of job you have and how autonomous you are on your job.   I have discovered that the better and the more autonomous job a person has, the less stress she/he feels.  In other words, people in high level executive jobs and/or indpendent entrepreneurs experience the least stress while clerks and lower level people with no autonomy experience the most stress.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I don't have trouble with this in that a lot of jobs where you make important life and death decisions (law, medicine, aviation) require a lot of education.  It seems to me that this is what would cause the worst psychological stress.

3. nlwaters01 profile image60
    nlwaters01posted 5 years ago

I am a pilot and there is an equal amount of stress, but death is not what we think about. It is a job like any other and I love what I do. Its fun and a dream to be able to fly above the law without getting pulled over. With a little help from mother nature and a good tailwind, my flight could arrive atleast 30 minutes earlier. The only law I have to really worry about is those big F-18's! Their bullets are a little bit bigger.

4. puddingicecream profile image80
    puddingicecreamposted 5 years ago

The jobs that require more education tend to be jobs that usually require more decisions to be made, and greater mental commitment and work so it makes sense for there to be more stress.