It is said Perception is Reality. A look into the Perception Gap.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (24 posts)
  1. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 19 months ago

More in Common partnered with YouGov using a survey of 2,100 people to discover the Perception Gap regard political parties. "The conclusion? Americans have a deeply distorted understanding of each other. We call this America’s “Perception Gap”. Overall, Democrats and Republicans imagine almost twice as many of their political opponents as reality hold views they consider “extreme”. Even on the most controversial issues in our national debates, Americans are less divided than most of us think. This is good news for those worried about the character of this country. The majority of Americans hold views that may not be so different from your own."

An interesting read with plenty of graphics to get the jest of what the Perception Gap is. There also is a Quiz for the curious and adventurous.

The Perception Gap

Do you have a yawning Perception Gap, or are you in sync with the American public? Our study explores how Americans tend to have a distorted understanding of people on the other side of the aisle, what causes it, and why it matters.

https://perceptiongap.us/

What do you think?

1. James A Watkins profile image86
      James A Watkinsposted 19 months agoin reply to this

That said, conservatives do understand the views of leftist far more accurately than leftists understand conservative views. How could they not, as they swim in a leftist culture constantly.

In a study Jonathan Haidt did with Jesse Graham and Brian Nosek, they tested how well liberals and conservatives could understand each other. "We asked more than two thousand American visitors to fill out the Moral Foundations Qyestionnaire. One-third of the time they were asked to fill it out normally, answering as themselves. One-third of the time they were asked to fill it out as they think a “typical liberal” would respond. One-third of the time they were asked to fill it out as a “typical conservative” would respond. This design allowed us to examine the stereotypes that each side held about the other. More important, it allowed us to assess how accurate they were by comparing people’s expectations about “typical” partisans to the actual responses from partisans on the left and the right)’ Who was best able to pretend to be the other?

"The results were clear and consistent. Moderates and conservatives were most accurate in their predictions, whether they were pretending to be liberals or conservatives. Liberals were the least accurate, especially those who described themselves as “very liberal.”"

1. tsmog profile image83
        tsmogposted 19 months agoin reply to this

Interesting. Thanks for info. I will look deeper into it later.

1. GA Anderson profile image88
          GA Andersonposted 19 months agoin reply to this

James also sparked my interest, so here you go.

The Moral Stereotypes Of Liberals And Conservatives

GA

1. tsmog profile image83

Just in case you are curious linked below is the complete paper published at National Library of Medicine. I read from the abstract through the methods, which is all the science stuff and statistics, then finally the discussion. A lot to ponder and will probably go back and read it another day. Next, is the final paragraph of the discussion. One thing to consider is the key word is 'Moral'.

"Chambers and Melnyk [40] conclude: “Partisan group members suffer the misapprehension that their adversaries work to actively and willfully oppose their own sides' interests rather than promoting the values that are central to their adversaries' doctrine…it is this perception that may spawn the feelings of distrust and animosity that partisans feel toward their rivals and may ultimately fuel conflict between partisan groups” (p.1309). In this study, we focused on the moral values of ideological opponents, and their perceptions of the moral values of either side, in order to understand the moral “distrust and animosity” endemic to the liberal-conservative culture war. We found that there are real moral differences between liberals and conservatives, but people across the political spectrum exaggerate the magnitude of these differences and in so doing create opposing moral stereotypes that are shared by all. Calling attention to this unique form of stereotyping, and to the fact that liberal and conservative moral values are less polarized than most people think, could be effective ways of reducing the distrust and animosity of current ideological divisions.

The Moral Stereotypes of Liberals and Conservatives: Exaggeration of Differences across the Political Spectrum
            Jesse Graham, 1 , * Brian A. Nosek, 2 and Jonathan Haidt 3

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3520939/

Edit: After leaving this post I searched 'morality of morality' for giggles arriving upon the article, "The Nature of Morality and Moral Theories" linked below. A short read considering the different ones. My conclusion is more food for thought and a good nap to let it gel wink

The Nature of Morality and Moral Theories
            https://home.sandiego.edu/~baber/gender … ories.html

Thanks for the links. I'm good to go now.

The point made by the quiz, for me, was the unexpected areas of error. The other stuff, (like our links), reinforces my perception of the 'whys'. Apply the 'whys' with the misperceptions, and bingo, you have some defined areas to reconsider.

GA

1. tsmog profile image83

Yes, the quiz does reveal truths or thought to be truths for the self related to a greater context as I see it. The goal is to show perceptions on a scale for self contrast the greater group. It compares 'my' views of Democrats/Republicans vs the views of that group.

Curious I took the quiz again this morning while knowing after reading about it my answers had a bias to them now. And, I thought about the question more. Interesting for me after taking it again is which questions I had the greater perception gap while afterward wondered why.

For myself the greatest influence is directly or indirectly related to these forums since 2015 through the posters, the subject matters brought up, reading the links presented, and my inspired gallivanting Google University seeking more. Before 2015 I didn't care about politics at all. And, in my offline life I have no interactions on politics whatsoever.

Also, regard The Moral Stereotypes of Liberals and Conservatives: Exaggeration of Differences across the Political Spectrum I thought it best to know what Jonathan Haidt's Moral Foundation Theory is sending me on a hunt. I discovered two articles about it posted below if curious. It was insightful while thinking about the published paper of the study, yet some of it was obvious.

The Righteous Mind: Moral Foundations Theory by Divided We Fall (July 2018)
                https://dividedwefall.org/the-righteous … ns-theory/

Moral Foundations.org (There is a approx. 8 min video explaining it.)
                https://moralfoundations.org/

If anything it gives food for thought, however I won't look deep into until after my present study on Beliefs. I do see those two; Belief and Morality, very much connected as well as they both are foundational.

2. GA Anderson profile image88

That was a thought-provoking read. Being lazy about it, here are two points that stood out for me:

"Education Doesn’t Help, Either
      Education is intended to make us better informed about the world, so we’d expect that the more educated you become, the more you understand what other Americans think. In fact, the more educated a person is, the worse their Perception Gap – with one critical exception. This trend only holds true for Democrats, not Republicans. In other words, while Republicans’ misperceptions of Democrats do not improve with higher levels of education, Democrats’ understanding of Republicans actually gets worse with every additional degree they earn. This effect is so strong that Democrats without a high school diploma are three times more accurate than those with a postgraduate degree."

and. . .

"More than three quarters of Americans believe our differences are not so great that we cannot come together."

I agree with both. And then I took the quiz. Oh hell.

I'm still thinking about it, but my gap for Democrats was  -2 and for Republicans, it was 0.

With the caveat that I am trusting the quiz's survey results, it seems that when I was 'off', I was really off, on both sides.

Then I took the quiz again. Without recalling the previous result numbers and adjusting for them, I tried to keep 'adjustments' from what I now knew, to 'hints' that I was too extreme—either way. So moderation of previous answers was minor.

My scores flipped. 0 for Democrats, and 2 for Republicans. There are really good thread topics in your link.
      GA

1. tsmog profile image83

Thanks GA! Like I shared with Ken the first time I took the quiz I did not follow the instructions correctly. My scores were higher and in line for independents.

I like both quotes you shared with the first giving pause. Yet, when reading why those Democrats with higher degrees differed leads me to consider socialization and how impactful that is. The second quote in my mind offers hope especially consider average Joe/Jill voter.

1. Ken Burgess profile image75
          Ken Burgessposted 19 months agoin reply to this

I think that part about Degrees explains the disconnect between DC and common America.

It explains the "Deplorables" perception, it explains the "threat to the nation" perception.

Without doubt, those that are well off, are well educated, they are the ones that roam the halls of DC, as well as fill the staff of Harvard, Yale, etc.

For them the hardships of working-class Americans as well as the hardships of those in poverty are not something experienced, it is more theoretical and abstract.

The fact that they have far more interactions with plumbers, electricians, bakers and grocery clerks in their daily routines is what likely leads to their disdain and dismissal of those people... they are dependent on them to survive and something about that rubs many of them raw.

As smart as they are, they are totally dependent on the working class, most of them are incapable of dealing with problems that arise in their home, in their car, in most things that a working class stiff learns to deal with or has some friend that can fix for them.

To say nothing of their dependency on Police, EMTs, Town and State employees to keep them safe and secure.

3. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 19 months agoin reply to this

I checked in with a 13 percent perception gap. Is that good?

Which statement were you the most wrong about?

Mine was : "It is important that men are protected from false accusations pertaining to sexual assault" I didn't give Democrats enough credit.

GA

1. Credence2 profile image78
          Credence2posted 19 months agoin reply to this

Questions involving racism and sexism in America had the largest gaps 37 and 22, respectively. I gave Republicans the least credit.

2. Ken Burgess profile image75
    Ken Burgessposted 19 months ago

That was an interesting test.

I think taking it helps hold up a mirror to your perceptions for sure.

1. tsmog profile image83

It caught me off guard at first as I at first did not answer correctly and had to redo it.

3. Ken Burgess profile image75
    Ken Burgessposted 19 months ago

Such a fence sitter... must be lonely

How could one be a fence-sitter when the topic is perception accuracy?

GA

Well you accurately see the positions of both sides, so well you test almost flawlessly, meaning without perception bias.

That can only be done by someone that is not entrenched in either camp.

Got it. But, there were serious places where I was really wrong.

I thought only the Far Left would support abolishing ICE. I pegged it at 20% but the self-identified number was a lot more, 55%, (? I closed my results tab, so I'm going on recall).

For the Republicans, I thought only 40% would think there is still racism in America, the quiz number was 80%. *shrug

I think your point about looking in the mirror is true. Using the quiz as a reference, its questions could be good discussion points.

GA

4. quicksand profile image82
    quicksandposted 19 months ago

Hi James! How are you doing? Good to see you again!

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
    Kathryn L Hillposted 19 months ago

I like this conclusion, but then, I would. (I seem to be a bit of a pollyanna.)

"A healthy democracy will always have some disagreement and conflict; it’s a necessary component of progress. But democracy also requires a sense of shared values and commitments, and a willingness to find common ground. This study suggests that there is more such territory than many imagine. By understanding our Perception Gaps, working to overcome our mistrust of the other side, and resisting the forces that seek to divide us, we can advance towards a future that we all want."

More in Common Perception Gap
    © 2019 More in Common. All rights reserved.

Right, the problem is not with "the people".

Its with those "elites" those highly educated Lefties that have such bias and issue with perception.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
        Kathryn L Hillposted 19 months agoin reply to this

... highly indoctrinated.

6. IslandBites profile image89
    IslandBitesposted 19 months ago

I got 4% for Dems and 8% for Republicans.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)