The political ramifications of illiteracy in the United States

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Willowarbor profile image60
    Willowarborposted 6 months ago

Often I've seen the argument here on these forums about the state of our children's education. Almost always ignoring the fact that the pandemic will have impacts on proficiency scores for years to come. But what of our nations adults? Adults represented by every generation after the millennials.

About 130 million adults in the U.S. have low literacy skills according to a Gallup analysis of data from the U.S. Department of Education. This means more than half of Americans between the ages of 16 and 74 (54%) read below the equivalent of a sixth-grade level.

Literacy is broadly defined as the ability to read and write, but it more accurately encompasses the comprehension, evaluation and utilization of information, which is why people describe many different types of literacy, such as health, financial, legal, etc. Low literacy skills can profoundly affect the day-to-day success of adults in the real world.

I would also suggest that it impairs the ability of a great deal of people to understand the political process, how the government works and the ability to think in a multifaceted manner.  As such, we have far too many  binary thinkers when it comes to complex issues. 

Don’t believe me? Polling from the Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation revealed an alarming perspective into America’s civic literacy. Only one in three Americans can pass the citizenship test given to those trying to become citizens of the U.S., which requires a sixty to pass.

Some stats, roughly 50% of Americans cannot read and comprehend above an eighth grade level.  21% of Americans 18 and older are illiterate in 2022.
    54% of adults have a literacy below sixth-grade level.

This really does leave a good swath of people in our country that are ill-equipped to consider the complex issues before them. What impact do you think that that has on government? Politicians and media are certainly well aware and have always been of these statistics. How do you think that their actions, rhetoric are shaped by them?

What do we do when we have political actors and media  peddling garbage as fact to a public that is ill prepared to know the difference?

https://map.barbarabush.org/#:~:text=13 … e%20level.

1. Sharlee01 profile image79
      Sharlee01posted 6 months agoin reply to this

"According to a Gallup analysis of data from the U.S. Department of Education, approximately 130 million adults in the United States exhibit low literacy skills. This statistic underscores the fact that more than half of Americans aged 16 to 74 (54%) read below the equivalent of a sixth-grade level."

It's a startling and concerning reality.
      Recent data from the National Center for Education Statistics reveals a significant gap in graduation rates between private and public schools. Private schools boasted an impressive 96.4% graduation rate for the 2018-2019 school year, while public schools reported a lower 86% rate. This discrepancy highlights a pressing issue that requires our attention: the quality of education in public schools.
      Pretty shocking...

To address this challenge effectively, it's crucial to delve into its root causes. We need to focus on improving the quality of teachers --- yes who are teaching our children.    As well as possibly revising the curriculum in our failing public schools. While it's essential to fund our public schools, we need to make sure we hire dedicated well- educated teachers, our primary concern should always be the education and well-being of our children.

Education in the United States is a matter of great concern, and it's imperative that we, as citizens, take an active role in seeking answers to the underlying reasons for the inadequacies in our public education system.

Yes, many students graduate with limited knowledge of civics, which impacts their ability to make informed decisions as responsible citizens. It's time for us to engage in a collective effort to address these issues and ensure a brighter future for our children. 

Your question ---  " What do we do when we have political actors and media  peddling garbage as fact to a public that is ill prepared to know the difference?"

We look for the root of the problem.  Our children spend half their day in the hands of teachers ----  we need to provide well-educated
      teachers. Dedicated teachers will provide the same education the children receive in private schools.  Parents need to be involved in their children's schools assuring that their children are being offered a curriculum that ensures they are on par with the great educations that private schools provide.  A good education gives them the tools to weed through media misinformation, political BS, and politicians who are dishonest, and unskilled to hold office.  It's all about education, fixing it at the root.

All your stats are right on... and help me make my point. Yes, we have a huge problem, our education system is crap.

Willowarborposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Private schools boasted an impressive 96.4% graduation rate for the 2018-2019 school year, while public schools reported a lower 86% rate.
        This discrepancy highlights a pressing issue that requires our attention: the quality of education in public schools.
        Pretty shocking...

If private schools were forced to operate under the same conditions and regulations as our nation's public schools, with these numbers be more equal? I sort of think so. It's not a level playing field at all
        That's probably a different conversation but this doesn't seem to be an issue that is new to our country as the studies of illiteracy look at those into their 70's age range.

Surprisingly, it's actually older Americans who most frequently lack adequate reading skills. Approximately one-third of adults who struggle with illiteracy are aged 65 or older.  That is worrisome because this is a large voting block.

But in terms of our educational progression, we were seeing steady gains from the '90s all the way through the entrance of the pandemic.  The next couple of years will likely show us some pretty devastating effects on education especially for those kids whose parents couldn't afford tutoring or homeschooling programs.

All of that sounds well and good, but it appears we've veered off track from my main point. From my perspective, the current issues with undereducated children can be attributed to teachers who may not be adequately prepared for the crucial task of educating our youth.

My primary concern lies in the present and the education of our children. I have less concern about the reading skills of senior citizens at this moment. I find your division comical. Let's talk about the here the now.

My stats in support of illiteracy among our older population is actually in support of how far education has come as the literacy rates among our younger population are much better.
            As the name of the thread implies, I am concerned over the manner in which our adult literacy problem affects our politics.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
              gmwilliamsposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Of course, adult literacy affects political decision making.  People are becoming less discerning-accepting what the party line is whether liberal or conservative.  It is a slippery slope into darkness.

2. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 6 months agoin reply to this

I think you probably do a disservice to public schools in assuming that because private schools have a higher graduation rate the public school is lacking.

Consider the families (in general) who send kids to private schools.  Now look at those that send their kids to public school.  The average probably isn't that much different, but the group of private school kids does not include the thousands of families that provide nothing in the way of help. 

How many private school kids simply drop out and join a gang somewhere?  How many private school kids are going to school hungry, or cold because they have no coat?  How many public school kids have private tutors when needed, compared to private school kids? 

Yes, public schools are not of the quality of private ones (I would surely expect that), but neither are the kids attending them.  And it is primarily the lower end of the scale that is causing the low graduation rates of private schools.

Dan, it seems you might have missed the context of my thoughts. I was drawing a comparison between present graduates, which I believe speaks volumes. However, in reality, the responsibility for learning falls on individual students, whether they attend private or public schools.

I can certainly agree with your examples highlighting the significant challenges faced by students who may not have the same advantages as those in private schools. You've presented just a few of the many obstacles that some children must contend with for various reasons.

These children eventually enter our public school system, but whose hands are they in at that point? Who bears the responsibility for their education? Ideally, parents should step in, but this isn't always the case. So, who ultimately shoulders the responsibility for their education? It falls primarily on the teacher, does it not?  This is what I was making an attempt to convey. 

"And it is primarily the lower end of the scale that is causing the low graduation rates of private schools."

This is undeniably true, but who spends the majority of the day with these children? 

Do we just continue to pass them along, and point out as you have done, that many children come to school with problems caused by society?

At any rate, I am out ... I flipped the subject and said my bit. So, I will do the polite thing.

If we look at the graduation rates between public and private high schools I think we need to look a bit deeper than just the numbers. And by this I mean what contributes to those numbers.

The great majority of private high schools require an entrance exam.  Who are they accepting? The highest scoring students. Public schools cannot do this. They have to teach everyone and that means the developmentally disabled, the learning disabled and the behaviorally unruly. 

It's very easy and simple to blame the teacher but again there's a multitude of facts that affects student outcome between public and private school.

But even with that being said, we have some absolutely stellar public high schools in this country that are producing high achieving students, much more so than decades of old.
            Our graduation rates since 1900 have steadily risen. One might argue that education does nothing but get better.

2. wilderness profile image96
            wildernessposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Sharlee, intrinsic to you arguments and questions is the concept that society is responsible for the children of the US, not the parents.  Yet, society can do little to nothing as long as parents have control.  You ask, for instance, who spends the majority of the day with the children; the answer is the parents, who give up the kids for about 6 hours per day - the rest of the 24 hours is in the control of parents.

Unless society is prepared to actually take control, as in raising the kids without parental input, society cannot provide an real education to kids whose parents don't care and often actually interfere or halt activities needed for an education.

Dan,  Leaving aside these overarching concerns, I agree that parental involvement in their children's education is crucial and could serve as a starting point. Additionally, ensuring that teachers are well-educated and closely monitoring school-wide statistics could help identify and address problems within schools more effectively.

Teachers play a pivotal role in our children's lives by imparting knowledge and fostering a conducive learning environment. However, it's important to acknowledge that they encounter various challenges, such as abused or hungry children, and more,  which should ideally be reported to social services. Unfortunately, the system often falls short due to overworked social workers and underfunded agencies.

Perhaps, a solution could involve empowering social workers through better resources, including the possibility of unionization. They are educated, and equipped to handle complex social issues that can affect a child's life, whereas teachers lack both the skills and authority to address such deep-rooted problems, and really get the kinds of help a child might need.

In conclusion, I believe that you are right in emphasizing the need for a society that supports children in need, but we must ensure that the right individuals with the appropriate expertise and resources are involved at the right time. Clearly, there is a breakdown in this process that needs to be addressed.

Shar

2. gmwilliams profile image84

Exactly, many parents believe that it is the teacher's sole responsibility to educate their children.  They refuse to acknowledge that they have a main role in educating their children.  In some sociocultural communities, many parents assert that it ISN'T THEIR responsibility to educate their children at all.  They absolve themselves of any educational responsibility as far their children are concerned.

2. gmwilliams profile image84

Isn't so much public vs private schools but the socioeconomic level of children attending such schools.  There are great public schools in affluent areas where the education is on par with that of private schools.  The better & more affluent the neighborhood, the better the schools.  In less affluent neighborhoods, even the so-called private schools are inferior as the public schools are.   Socioeconomic class is a determinant to the quality of education children receive.   

Not only are the schools responsible but the child's home environment is as equally responsible as the school system.  In affluent neighborhoods, parents are typically highly education and they are able to impart to their children knowledge which makes the latter more advanced academically.   In poorer, less affluent neighborhoods, parents are less educated, even uneducated so their children are woefully disadvantaged academically.  Poor parents DON'T have the wherewithal  to educate their children as they have little or no education themselves.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
            Castlepalomaposted 6 months agoin reply to this

It's seem people that have demanding trade skills are better off than University grads. I know too many PHD taxi drivers.

2. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Well presented, Willowarbor. Only two things I will mention at this time. First, as a writer here at HubPages I dug deep into how to write articles. Notability all the articles I read said write at the 8th grade reading level. There is even software online to analyze that for content writers.

Next, I formerly was an automotive repair/tire store manager. Back in the late 90s, I had a great mechanic who did fantastic work in an expeditious manner. Definitely had a natural inclination to tear apart mechanical things and put them back together. A win-win for both the business and him since he was paid based on performance.

However, as time marched on he fell into a dilemma. He was unable to work on newer cars that were now coming in. Why? Because he could not read the manuals. In fact, as it turned out he could barely read at all. Sad!

3. gmwilliams profile image84

It's no wonder why media is geared to elementary school levels.  Only a small percentage of Americans are intellectually discerning.  This also explains the glorification of celebrity in American society & culture.  The idols in America aren't the intellectuals but those who are popular.   America sadly is an anti-intellectual society.  Athletics are so prized in this society while intellectualism is derided.   You are right that people are enthralled with political actors- believing every word said.  This is an abyssal state of affairs.

Your country is under control. Go back to sleep, go back to sleep. If not, here is the American Gladiators, enjoy the show.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 6 months ago

I wonder which group is more educated: Republicans, Democrats or Independents?
    Which group is more easily led astray by the media. Which group is more apt to educate themselves despite the quality or lack of quality of their local public schools?
    Which group is more apt to home-school or acquire private school education?

As usual, a good education its the result of money.
    More money, the higher the educational level achieved.

So should we just throw more money at the situation?
    Will better schools, more highly educated/paid teachers affect better learning and therefore better voting?

I doubt it.

What will?

Raising children who have the ability to think, reason and feel empathy. Encouraging children at home and at school to learn according to their innate curiosity and interest in the world around them. Inspiring and encouraging ambitions in our children and giving them the ability to fulfill those ambitions. Protecting their joy of life and providing environments which are conducive to exploring, researching, learning and discovering.
    In short, enabling children to think for themselves and have common sense. A sound knowledge of history doesn't hurt either.

1. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 6 months agoin reply to this

You opened with great questions, Kathryn. How to answer can be shooting from the hip or doing some poking about on the web. I did the latter seeing some articles basically saying the left has more college-educated voters. The other questions I feel shooting from the hip is how an answer will be derived.

I did discover one article that blew my mind away. It digs 'really' deep into the issue of education with its effect on voting and the dynamics of polarization toay. It is:

How the Diploma Divide Is Remaking American Politics Education is at the heart of this country’s many divisions. by Intelligencer (Oct 19, 2022)
      https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022/10 … class.html

One excerpt is:

"The idea that education polarization arises from deep structural tendencies in western society may inspire a sense of powerlessness. And the notion that it emerges in part from a cultural divide between professionals and working people may invite ideological discomfort, at least among well-educated liberals."

And, for your question regard the media the article shares:

"This information explosion abets education polarization for straightforward reasons: Since the college educated and non-college educated have distinct tastes in media, in a highly competitive attentional market, they will patronize different outlets and accept divergent facts."

I haven't read the article fully, but will in the near future. I did skim it seeing there is value for it being read.

Remember that show.
        Do you think your smarter than a 5th grader?

3. Willowarbor profile image60

I appreciate the great responses.
    So who benefits from a functionally illiterate society?

I tend to believe that the media takes advantage of this fact.  Complex , multifaceted issues are condensed down to soundbites that ignore history, context and influencing factors that viewers simply can't comprehend. With this in mind, should we include media literacy education in high schools? Or even as continuing adult education?

A recent survey it conducted found that nearly half of adults ages 19 to 81 did not learn media literacy skills in high school. The average age of respondents was 41.  Does this not leave them vulnerable? 

Interestingly, the survey also found the respondents who said they had participated in media literacy education in high school were among the least likely to believe in conspiracy theories.

Citizens are online more than ever and misinformation and disinformation is everywhere.

How important do you believe it is that citizens are prepared to detect bias and recognize when they are being manipulated?

It sounds logical. However, first, I feel we need to work on basic reading, writing, and arithmetic before we venture into tackling media literacy.  If stats are correct many that make it to high school are at a deficit in the basics.  Perhaps with better education, they could recognize misinformation.   I feel our current public education in many states, not all, are failing children --- period.  I blame the school administrators and the teachers.  Statistics show private schools produce children that are better educated.  I have also looked into how much cash is spent in public schools per student. Amount varies per state, but all were substantial, if parents could get those funds they could place their child into schools that offer better education. The problem occurs due to not having as many private schools as needed. Parents need to get involved and demand accountability for schools that turn out uneducated children.

https://wisevoter.com/state-rankings/pe … -by-state/

It is unwritten that educated parents are involved in their children's academic  lives.  It is the less educated/uneducated parents who aren't involved in their children's academic lives.  They feel that such isn't their problem but the teacher's problems.  While educated parents believe that education is a dual responsibility involving them & the teachers, less educated/uneducated parents believe that education is the SOLE responsibility of the teachers, not them.   Less educated/uneducated parents DON'T teach their children-they leave that to the teachers.

4. Willowarbor profile image60

As an  the side, to those candidates and those who support the idea of blowing up the department of education and letting parents take a certain amount of money to whatever school they like.... How do you think that the  pristine school  you're bringing your money to is going to deal with the influx of learning disabled, developmentally disabled, behaviorally challenged to an extreme degree.  How do you think all of that will affect the outcomes in terms of achievement scores for that school?    Do you really think they're going to keep up? Do they have qualified teachers in all of those specialties? Particularly since private schools can test students for entrance for higher scores and have the ability to disqualify the developmentally and learning disabled.  What will happen to those categories of students? Do we care?  Vouchers will tank the scores of private schools LOL.  The idea of private school education is being so superior is so completely ridiculous when you look at all of these factors. But yes, bring it on. Let all of those poor, learning disabled and developmentally disabled bring their money to your private school. Tell me how that works out. Especially when your private school teachers make 20% less than public school teachers and are generally holding lower degrees.  Those teachers will be quitting left and right.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 6 months ago

"society cannot provide a real education to kids whose parents don't care and often actually interfere or halt activities needed for an education." wilderness

YEP

Kathryn,  parenthood should be licensed.  Parenthood should require extensive testing.  Most people are unqualified to be parents which explain the ills of society which are present today.  Only very few people are qualified to be parents.  Most people become parents because of peer, parental, societal, & religious pressure.   They are inculcated in the premise that one must have children. 

Many people don't want children but are pressured to be parents.  As a result, they go through the perfunctory steps of being parents which have ill effects on their children.   To reiterate, only a small percentage of people are educationally, intellectually, socioeconomically, & psychologically to be parents.  Many people don't possess such qualifications to be parents.

Also only a few percentage of parents are mature.  Most parents are immature.  They use parenthood to exercise power, not care about their children.  They view their children as lesser beings to do with as they please.  They also see their children as possessions.

Parents who are lower income don't care about their children's education.  They feel that it is enough for them to provide only the rudiments for their children if that.  They contend that it is the TEACHER'S job to educate their children.  They maintain that it is not THEIR responsibility to teach their children.   They also don't care about improving the status of their children.  They assert what is good enough for them, is good enough for their children..  Poor parents DON'T want better opportunities for their children.

I so agree...

2. Castlepaloma profile image76

I didn't realize how bad parenting in the black communities were GM. Until you brought it up. About 80% are fatherless and  probably the most destructive action the liberal did creating welfare to mothers that out weigh the reason to work together with the father's. That is systematic destruction at its worst. .

2. Sharlee01 profile image79

This is the truth, and perhaps it is time that we look for solutions beyond thinking of parents who are not interested (for one reason or the other) being part of the solutions.  At some point time to face the realities that society has handed us.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)