jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Implemented: Answers should have word countdown

1. lone77star profile image91
    lone77starposted 4 years ago

Ever since you've added the word limit on answers, I've been frustrated.

You don't want 1-word answers. Great! But you don't want larger than xxx-word answers. The problem is, you don't tell us what xxx is!

Wouldn't it be nice to include a counter that counts down the words remaining?

Until this can be implemented, wouldn't it be nice to add a notice on all Answer pages that all answers are limited to xxx number of words? See? Simple!

Trying to hit or miss with varying numbers of words until an answer takes is not my idea of fun.

You suggest making a Hub out of long answers. Great! But what if I don't have the time or interest? What if I'm only 3 words over. I'd rather edit out 3 words and be done with it.

Help make the experience less cumbersome and painful.

1. Ari Lamstein profile image78
      Ari Lamsteinposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You make a good point.  This has been implemented.

2. Haunty profile image84
    Hauntyposted 4 years ago

I think I remember the limit is 500 characters for comments on answers.

3. MickiS profile image93
    MickiSposted 4 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, lone77star. Not sure if you are referring to Answer or the Comments that can be left on Answers, so I will address both.

For Answers: There is a limit of 3,500 characters. I will ask Ari the next time he's poking around the Answers code to add a character counter. However, if you are writing answers this long, might I suggest that, instead, you write a Hub on the subject? Answers really are intended to be rather short form.

For Comments on Answer: There is a 250 character limit. There is a counter just under the input field that tells you how many characters you have left.