jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Back after extended absence - question for folks that have been around

1. rodney southern profile image81
    rodney southernposted 3 years ago

Hey Guys and Gals,

I have been with Hubpages for about four years and have been largely inactive for about two of those. I am now back and planning on really diving in to the site, but I had a couple of questions. (Forgive me if they are the typical questions, but hey...I need to ask em)

1. Can you still earn viable money from Hubpages if you put in the work? I mean in excess of $1000 a month? I know at one time you could do this with dedication and some skill. Just wondering if things have changed??

2. What are these sleeping hubs I keep reading about and should I get rid of mine? Assuming of course that I can find them....

3. Does a woodchuck really chuck that much wood?

Glad to be back and hope to get to know you all once again. Please add me, friend me, twitter me, or whatever it is we need to do around here. I will surely return the favor.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yes, things changed when Google started its Panda updates in early 2011.  Google really went after what they saw as "content farms", which included HubPages.  Traffic was decimated.  In response to that, HubPages made sweeping changes to their rules which were, unfortunately, poorly communicated - resulting in good Hubs being unpublished for infractions.  As a result, many of the top earners got fed up and left. 

Subsequently, sub-domains were introduced.  Some Hubbers recovered their traffic and some didn't.  I doubt there are many people still breaking the $1,000 per month mark today.

Easy to find, just look at your account page and you'll see some Hubs have a big fat 'H' next to them, and some don't. Those that don't are sleeping (or "idled"), which means they've had a "no follow" tag slapped on them and are therefore ignored by search engines.  Which means they are, in effect, dead.  You can revive them by doing a small edit but the effect is temporary.

1. EmpressFelicity profile image83
        EmpressFelicityposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Well, to be nit-picky the idle hubs have both a "no follow" and a "no index" tag. But yeah, that sums it up.

2. 2uesday profile image88
    2uesdayposted 3 years ago

A lot of the changes that have taken place have been announced in this forum -

It might be worth looking through the posts there if you are thinking of updating and editing any of your hubs. I am saying that as I think if you can edit them for more than one thing at a time it will probably work out better. I am not saying they need editing, just in case the changes in the time you have been away make you decide to edit some.

3. seanorjohn profile image81
    seanorjohnposted 3 years ago

Hi welcome back. So how much traffic are you getting each day? I see you already have a highly respectable 100,000 hits.

4. Barbara Kay profile image86
    Barbara Kayposted 3 years ago

I think you could still earn $1000 a month if you write in the right niche. You'll also have to work your butt off writing enough hubs, unless you find the right keywords that aren't already saturated. That gets less and less easy to do.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

If you have a single niche with the potential to earn over $1000 a month, then you should be running your own blog, not putting it on HubPages!   

Relache's annual survey shows that only 3% of Hubbers make over $1000 a month.  Only 6% make it over the $500 mark:

http://relache.hubpages.com/hub/Improve … b-Earnings

1. tussin profile image61
        tussinposted 3 years ago in reply to this

oy vey

5. rodney southern profile image81
    rodney southernposted 3 years ago

Wow... That is a ton to digest. I sure appreciate the feedback from everyone and will certainly take it under consideration. I think I will steady work them rather than go all drastic and try to do a complete full-on edit. Perhaps work on one new one and one edit per day or something....Either way, I appreciate the help folks!