jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Should we write more content targeted for audience between ages 18-24

1. dwachira profile image83
    dwachiraposted 3 years ago

According to the current Alexa stats, based on internet averages, Hubpages.com is visited more frequently by females who are in the age range 18-24. Should we write more content targeted for this audience to increase traffic?

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 3 years ago in reply to this

My answer is "if we make it, they will come".
      Good, useful information geared towards a certain age group should be able to attract the right audience. I don't want to restrict my writing style or subject matter to fit a narrow focus.

dwachiraposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think in niche content writing audience parameters; age, fashion, likes, trends....matters a lot.

2. relache profile image86
      relacheposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Really Alexa stats give a better indication of who uses the Alexa toolbar and services more than the broader Internet.

1. Greekgeek profile image96
        Greekgeekposted 3 years ago in reply to this

This. Very much so.

Alexa may be used for brainstorming purposes, but its data is not accurate enough to use as an indicator of trends.

3. ttocs profile image95
      ttocsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

but those people in the age demographic are the people who are most likely to end up on the site due to the more popular topics written about on here.  It doesn't mean that writing things that females age 18-24 are interested in is more likely to bring in traffic, but that writing things that are in the most popular topics on Hubpages is likely to bring in the largest demographic that is searching for those topics. So if you want to utilize that information for traffic, you'd have to find the specific topics that demographic is searching for on Hubpages. I think.

2. Simone Smith profile image91
    Simone Smithposted 3 years ago

It all depends on what you're writing about, and whether or not that subject has already been exhaustively covered online. It all comes down to creating new resources online!

Yes, but while new resources may be general, others may still require age consideration on subject weight factor.

3. drmiddlebrook profile image92
    drmiddlebrookposted 3 years ago

I think you have to consider your own reasons for writing. I believe many, if not most, write for personal satisfaction and fulfillment--first, and for attracting those interested in what we have to say. Sometimes, our interests will span all age groups, and sometimes what we write will have a more narrow focus, naturally. But, if we begin to narrow our focus to topics we believe will attract a particular age group, we could end up getting frustrated trying to develop interest in what they're interested in. I believe if you follow your heart and write in a way that is informative, provocative, and/or passionate, based on your own strengths as a writer/researcher, you will attract those who are searching for the topics you write on.

4. ChrisMcDade8 profile image95
    ChrisMcDade8posted 3 years ago via iphone

I agree with your comments dmiddlebrook.  .  .

5. That Grrl profile image80
    That Grrlposted 3 years ago

You can only go so far writing for your audience. You still have to write from your own point of view and what you know. Writing too much to a specific audience takes the sincerity and personality out of your post. It's like you're trying to become someone else and fit yourself to suit a role. Its a good way to burn yourself out too because you begin to lose interest in what you are writing when you aren't writing it for yourself, first.

Yes That Grrl, i see the point. If i didn't have interest in the topics that i write about, probably it would have been very hard for me to enjoy writing. I agree, interest matters.