Photo Sizing

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (18 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

I don't see where else to place this issue--I don't think it's exactly a "bug," but more of a change that was made???

At any rate, the problem is, it used to be that when you clicked on any photo in any hub, it would open the photo alone in a new temporary window without taking you away from the article page.  This much is still true.

However, it also used to give you a larger, better view of the image.  This is no longer true; in fact, the image shown in the pop-out window is usually smaller, sometimes significantly so, making it even harder to see than the original!

What is the point of this??!!  There may as well not be a pop-out available, if the picture is going to be harder to see, or at least no better (read larger)!

Many times, hubs may have several photos or other images, and to conserve space and have the article not appear to 'go on forever,' and lose impatient readers, the authors have down-sized the photos to fit a compressed format.  This makes them hard to make out.

Please give us back the larger view in the pop-out window for images!!

Thank you.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I went through this several months ago, and agree with you - I very much preferred the old method of expanding photos.  The new method doesn't give as large a picture.

Part of the problem is likely to be your screen resolution, though.  I found that out then - that by adjusting my screen resolution I could get a larger photo.  Not as large as it used to be, but larger than a half size in a hub.

DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

adjust up?  down?  I think I'm already at the highest resolution setting I can have...

1. snakeslane profile image80
          snakeslaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Umm, not sure if this is relevant, but you can enlarge the whole page,  by pressing Ctrl + (plus sign) and then click back to smaller with Ctrl - (minus sign) Just one way of viewing images larger. Other than that, the image may click larger in a different browser, Firefox I think, will have to try it and get back to you on that.
          OK yes, in Firefox the images in your light bulb hub click larger to full size (as part of a slide show).
          When I use Internet Explorer they do not click as big, but still larger than the images on the Hub.

Hmmm...most of the time lately, I'm using Chrome.  Firefox has ceased to work reliably for me...

It is frustrating when it was working just fine previously, I know a lot of people are disappointed with the slide show views, and would like to see the click to enlarge feature returned.

I really would.  I have lots of "how to" hubs and several use photos to show exactly what to do.  Without the larger photos, though, the pictures are of little value to readers as they can't see small details.

Too bad. But they could do the Ctrl +  (zoom in) to get a better view couldn't they? I would do that if I needed a real close up look at something.

2. snakeslane profile image80

With Firefox I get nice big images of your bending conduit photos.
                  With Internet explorer they aren't nearly as big.
                  Zooming in (Ctrl +) they are gigantic.
                  IE is the problem. I've not tried Chrome. But I like IE for other reasons so just have to switch back and forth for photo hubs I guess..
                  This is weird. If I zoom way out of your Hub on bending conduit (in Internet Explorer) zoom way out so your page is so tiny it is barely legible and then click on the slide show the photos come out really big!

2. wilderness profile image94

It's not so much a matter of the total resolution but of choosing which available one gives the largest images.  That might not be the largest.

I never truly understood the problem, but believe it has something to do with the ration of the screen as well as actual resolution.  A screen resolution, for instance, designed fora 16:9 aspect ratio does not work well on a 4:3 screen.  I just know that playing with different possibilities on mine I finally got pics that didn't shrink when I tried to blow them up by clicking them in a hub.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image73
      Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As you described, this isn't a bug per se, but a change in how the slideshow works.

As @Wilderness mentioned, much of this is dependent upon the screen resolution and the size of the image originally uploaded.

We don't always want to render a larger image as people have different screen resolutions.

The images width to height ration are also involved and we have logic behind the scenes that chooses an image size that fits in the photo view window, so sometimes this will result in an image smaller than the original in the Hub.

I think this sounds like a good idea to suggest changes you would like in our suggest feature forum.  That way we can get feedback from other users and see what other slideshows features users might like.

You can find that forum here:
      http://hubpages.com/forum/category/6634

3. WannaB Writer profile image88
      WannaB Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This problem makes publishing my photo essays not worth it, since the pictures and the caption text in them are an important part of the hub.

Please bring back the larger display of photos. I use Chrome on a MAC. But the real point is that non Hubbers who drop in for information and don't know how to make these adjustments to get reasonably sized pictures might just go away. They aren't  looking at these forums to figure out how to get the pictures to display full size.

2. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Thanks for pointing that out, snakeslane.

DzyMsLizzy, if I understand correctly, it's the new slideshow design, in which the page's background gets blacked out, that you do not like, yes?

And are you using IE?

Perhaps this is indeed a bug in which the slideshow is not quite working in that browser.

It's not just the browser, Simone.  There simply isn't room in the black background for a photo as large as those seen full sized in a hub.

For myself, I would love the see that slideshow design if one clicks the "see all" button, but would also like to see a photo blown up and overlaid on the hub if one simply clicks the photo.

When photos are used for detailed explanation of the text, the slideshow size just doesn't make it.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image86

Simone, Wilderness has explained it pretty well.
      It's not the black background that is objectionable; it's the fact that the photo, when clicked upon, is no larger, and sometimes smaller than the half or quarter size selected for the hub formatting.
      Depending on the hub and why the photos are there, it is not usually desirable to select full width.  So, the photos essentially serve as "thumbnails," and should display larger when clicked. 
      It is not necessarily the 'slideshow' view, either--the same is true for individual photos.
      I don't use IE very often anymore--it is not stable for the games I play on FaceBook  wink   Mostly, I'm on Google Chrome, now, as I find it more stable than Firefox.  But, the issue persists across all browser platforms I've used.
      Thanks...

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't help noticing your comment about "half" and "quarter size". 

When I upload a photo, I always leave it at "full width".  "Full width" just means it fits the full width of  the capsule, not the full width of the Hub.   To be honest, I've never understood why anyone would use "half" - and if you select "quarter" you end up with a photo that looks too small to see.

I understand that it's the width of the capsule, and not the page.  I think it depends on the type of hub. 
          For instance, the bath remodel hub I just published yesterday, the photos were the main point, and the majority of the "article" was contained in the captions.

With other hubs, that may be more about, say, social commentary, the photos are secondary, and don't need to be as large,  BUT, they should still be large enough to see clearly if clicked upon.

Or, even if it is vital to the article, I usually want the photo next to the pertinent text, rather than above or below it, for clarity's sake.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I should have been clearer with my terminology.  I was referring to the choices within the capsule, not the capsule itself.

Like you, I prefer my images to be next to the pertinent text.  As you know, you do that by clicking on the green arrow on the capsule so it floats to the right.    However, you should leave the drop-down box within the capsule as "full width", because you want the photo to be as large as possible within the capsule.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)