jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Allow uploaded images to retain original file names

1. Paul Maplesden profile image91
    Paul Maplesdenposted 3 years ago

When I create an image, I'll often name it accordingly, for example, an image for a hub on how to market a website might be titled: 'ways_for_you_to_market_your_website'.

When I upload that image to HubPages, it changes the name to an internal reference (e.g. 7603662_f520.jpg )

My suggestion is to retain the original image file names; the reason for this is because Google Image Search uses the original image file name as a ranking factor in deciding what images are relevant to someone's search. This means that if someone is searching for how to market their website, the originally named image is more likely to come up early in search than the other one.

I appreciate that you want to avoid problems with duplicate image file names; perhaps you could get around this by simply appending a unique ID onto the end of the file name, so my previous example might become: ways_for_you_to_market_your_website_7603662_f520.jpg

Thanks for considering this.

2. Simone Smith profile image90
    Simone Smithposted 3 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, Paul Maplesden!

I'm not sure exactly why we change the names of files the way we do, but I'll certainly bring this up in our next community meeting to see if a change is feasible.

In the meantime, the best way to make your HubPages images more likely to show up in image search results is to add brief, descriptive captions in the Photo Capsule. big_smile

1. quicksand profile image84
      quicksandposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I find some of my images appearing on G-Search matching the descriptive phrases that I add at the bottom of the photo capsule. They point back to my article on HP.  smile

3. Paul Maplesden profile image91
    Paul Maplesdenposted 3 years ago

Hi Simone, thanks for offering to bring it up; I do already use the 'caption' in image hubs (as I know that is also used for alt text) - Just suggesting the filename change as a way to get a little bit of extra search juice.

4. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 3 years ago

Totally Agree mate!

As someone else who creates and uses a great deal of images.. I find it extremely frustrating to find my images in Google Images linking back to HP as opposed to my sub-domain or hub
    - All the benefit for my efforts in that case are effectively 'given' to HP...  sad