jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Where/how did you write before Hubpages?

1. MissJamieD profile image81
    MissJamieDposted 3 years ago

Before you found the wonderful community of Hubpages, how did you do your writing?

Did you have a journal? Did you write on pieces of scratch paper, your ideas? Do you have a folder of your work, a portfolio, if you will?

Have you written professionally? Have you made money as a freelance writer? What makes you keep coming back to HP?

2. Shanna11 profile image90
    Shanna11posted 3 years ago

Before Hubpages I had never done commercial writing of any kind-- or writing on the internet in general. Well, that's a lie. I used to roleplay with other people online using the characters and plot line from one of my favorite series of books. Before that, I used to just write stories and save them on floppy disks.

We had this really huge computer when I was a kid (which wasn't that long ago) and my parents gave me a stack of floppy disks and allowed me to spend hours typing fastidiously on word, working on my stories when I was in elementary school. Unfortunately, I was also prone to accidentally destroy my floppies....

I come back to HP because at the point I'm at in my creative writing, there's no way I could make money yet, but I can make some money off my commercial writing.

1. MissJamieD profile image81
      MissJamieDposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That's awesome Shanna, I used to do the same thing!! Save my stories and poems on those darn floppy disks. Too funn:) They're all long gone now of course, I didn't realize how important they'd be some day to me, but that's ok, I always enjoyed writing whether I kept it or not. Just the act of writing is sufficient for me, although I love that we have HubPages so that hopefully it never will be lost. I like to look back and see how my writing skills and grown.

3. Mark Ewbie profile image84
    Mark Ewbieposted 3 years ago

I spent too long playing on forums - trolling and winding people up.  It was a hobby.  Gradually my posts became jokes and then stories and then... I thought... I might be able to be an internet writer.

Of course I didn't really know what an internet writer was back then.

It was a bit of a surprise.  I am hoping to be one soon.

1. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Sorry Mark - you can't get away with it any more now that you've been 'outed' by Paul E! Repeat after me:

My Name is Mark and I'm an internet writer!

4. Amadaun profile image84
    Amadaunposted 3 years ago

Well, I wrote some fanfiction (some of which is terribly embarrassing...), I wrote a couple tutorials for 3D modeling and texturing for the Final Fantasy XI game, then I became a forum administrator and got into RP.

I learned dialogue and script writing when I made a mod for the Oblivion game, and lately I started dabbling in humorous reviews.  But I really like teaching, so I'm trying my hand at tutorials here!

5. Marisa Wright profile image91
    Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago

I wrote on Helium - what a mistake that was (I wrote a Hub about it). They still have nearly 200 articles of mine.  I also wrote a novel (which never got published, not surprisingly I have to say, having read it again).   I have another three unfinished novels sitting on my hard drive, but these days I spend most of my time writing on my websites.

6. Bard of Ely profile image88
    Bard of Elyposted 3 years ago

Before HubPages I had had a column in Big Issue magazine in the UK and had written for Tenerife News and other hard copy publications as well as writing a book I had got published in 2002. HP was my first experience of writing for a revenue sharing website. I still find it the best!