jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Do you update titles when you update articles?

1. Jonathan Wylie profile image95
    Jonathan Wylieposted 3 years ago

If you go back and update an article that is not getting many views, do you change the title? If so, does this change the URL, and basically make it a new article in the eyes of search engines?

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
      Jayne Lancerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Changing the title does not change the URL.

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The URL is set when you create the Hub, and can never be changed.  It doesn't matter one jot whether the URL and title match - in fact many people deliberately make them different, so they can include more keywords.

If you take a look at how people are finding your Hub, you may notice keywords which aren't currently in your title.  It's worth changing the title to include those.

2. Jonathan Wylie profile image95
    Jonathan Wylieposted 3 years ago

Ok. So, what if you had a "top 5" article and wanted to make it a "top 10" or whatever. How would that scan with search engines who see a URL that is one thing, and an article title with another. Would it be better to delete the hub and rewrite it as a new article?

Jonathan Wylieposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Anyone got any more info on this? Nobody really talked about the URL being different from the content of the article. I find it hard to believe that they are not related. Would it be better to delete the hub and rewrite it as a new article?

1. Alastar Packer profile image82
        Alastar Packerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I wouldn't do that, Jonathan. From over three years on HP I've tweaked many a title. A good example would be a story that was getting very few views off Google. A nearly total title change put it on the first page and great views where it remains to do so after almost a year.

Jonathan Wylieposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Alastar.

working