jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (13 posts)

Google or HP asking readers to rate us?

1. janshares profile image88
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

I just googled my name to see what's out there (as suggested when you have a brand or business). I came across something very surprising: One of my HP articles popped up (just one on the first page) with an invitation to searchers. Instead of the summary, it said something to the effect of, "You can help make sure we are posting top quality content by rating this article up or down."  Has anyone ever seen this before?

1. Millionaire Tips profile image88
      Millionaire Tipsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I haven't seen that. Did you see it on Google or a different search engine?

jansharesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Google via my Toshiba laptop search engine.
        edit: and google the second time on my Blackberry

2. csmiravite-blogs profile image83
      csmiravite-blogsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yep,I did a while ago. I voted up and that was that. The only problem is when you come across a meanie and votes you down. Then, that's a problem.

3. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That is good to know. Pondering I have never considered how someone from outside of HP can interact with the article. I know they have to give a signature with a comment as I have done that myself a couple of times. But, can an online viewer give a thumbs up or down and an accolade without signing in with a signature? I never considered that until you brought this up janshares.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
        Jean Bakulaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I have seen things like, "read this great review Jean wrote about "whatever book it was" and wondered who did that. I didn't. It's not like a summary I wrote for a hub. But I have a few hubs that have comments like that on the lines where Google lists our stuff under our name.

4. vocalcoach profile image94
      vocalcoachposted 3 years ago in reply to this

No kidding ?  I haven't come across this - yet.  Thanks Jan.

2. AudreyHowitt profile image76
    AudreyHowittposted 3 years ago

No! This is a first for me!

3. janshares profile image88
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

I just looked at it again. The correct statement implies that it's HP:

"You can help the HubPages community highlight top quality content by voting this article up or down."

I think I got it right this time. Very interesting, huh? By the way, it's a poem hub.

1. AudreyHowitt profile image76
      AudreyHowittposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Interesting!

2. RachaelOhalloran profile image84
      RachaelOhalloranposted 3 years ago in reply to this

hold your mouse over the thumbs up/down part of the feedback on any hub. The wording comes from there.  It is probably text that got caught in the feed when they put the page in search results.  Anyway, the language you cite is from our hubs.

jansharesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I thought it sounded very familiar. Very strange to see it as the first line after the title. I opened the link and it was just the hub, all ratings at the bottom as usual. But if that "invite" to "rate a hub" appears upfront, it might be either good for traffic or bad for the hub depending on the rating it receives. Thanks, RachaelOhalloran.

1. RachaelOhalloran profile image84
          RachaelOhalloranposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I agree, it is a double edge sword.  lol
          You're welcome

working