Formatting column width in the table capsule

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image95
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 9 years ago

I was just wondering if HubPages has the option, or has given any thought to adding an option, in the table capsule to format column width.  I use a lot of tables and have never seen this, but would love to be able to do have that function.  Thank you.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Why Glimmer Twin Fan? How long do you write words/sentences? I, also, have used tables and have written in column cells which have used 4-5 'rows' in one cell.

2. PegCole17 profile image94
      PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Or you could create a table in Excel, save it as a jpeg, then insert it as a picture. Unless you need to change the data, this would allow you to make the width as narrow or wide as you like.
      Just a thought. I've done this before and it allows you to add headers and colors, etc..
      Peg

1. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image95
        Glimmer Twin Fanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've thought about doing that Peg, but then I get into the issue of text size and quality on HP.   Also if I ever need to go back and change data it adds additional steps.  I just think it would be easier if there was that option. 

I've been ok with the tables for the 2 years I've been here, just thought I'd throw the idea out there. :-) 

But it's a good thought and I appreciate the suggestion.

1. PegCole17 profile image94
          PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you need a quick fix it works, Glimmer. I see where it was suggested 3 years back.
          Cheers.
          P

1. kenneth avery profile image80
            kenneth averyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Peg,
            It would also be nice of HP to reformat their HubTool so we could have colored text boxes that work on the Left as as well as the right and the same for photos.
            All of this brainstorming is giving me a headache.

2. kenneth avery profile image80

PegCole and Glimmertwin . . .
        As those people in old cartoons would say when they get an idea . . .Hmmmm, I can do that--write a section; turn it into jpeg, a good friend, and use it.
        I have suggested to HP many times, we have more of a selection of fonts like a few years ago. In the type styles, we had one that was  a Times Roman. I loved that. Then HP removed it.
        I also suggested More sizes for photos besides full width, 1 col. and Thumbnail.
        All I ever got was "we will consider your suggestions," and that was it.
        So I stopped suggesting anything and this "consider your suggestions," just might be a form response they use when they have no intentions of changing.
        If you two have a breatk-through, let me know.
        And what about multiple-sentences in a capsule? Isn't that what we are doing now? Or am I still stuck in second gear? LOL.

3. kenneth avery profile image80

PegCole and GlimmerTwin,
        jpeg, why didn't I think of that?
        And why cant HP give us more choices for photo sizes?
        I suggested these a year ago.
        Nothing but "we will consider your suggestions."
        So I stopped.

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

I've never had a problem with columns either.  Are you sure your use of a table is best for your material?

3. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image95
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 9 years ago

Sometimes I'll have a first column with 1, maybe 2 words in each row, then the 2nd and/or 3rd columns have longer descriptors in them.  My first column is the same width as the other two. 

It would be nice for me if I could make a column narrower, then my following columns would have more room which means they wouldn't have as many "rows" in each cell, making the table longer.

For some of the hubs I write this would be a nice option.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)