jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Add Cmd/Cntrl-K shortcut for creating links

1. Greekgeek profile image98
    Greekgeekposted 2 years ago

The Hubpages text editor has a few basic shortcuts just like a word processor: Control-I (Cmd-I on Mac) for italics, and Cntrl/Cmd-B for bold.

There's one common keyboard shortcut that's missing: Cntrl/Cmd-K to pull up the "add/edit a link" window. Most text editors use it, and the Wordpress interface has it. On Hubpages, I keep using it, staring at the screen waiting for something to happen, then remembering I need to scroll up to the formatting bar to click an icon for it.

Obviously low priority, but it would be handy, especially when editing broken links.

1. makingamark profile image77
      makingamarkposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I'd very much support this - I use this shortcut (command K for me) on my blogs and websites all the time

It works in Blogger so it would be very helpful if it could work in HubPages too.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image78
      Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

We use TinyMCE so any existing keyboard shortcut for TinyMCE should work in the HubTool.
      I checked and could not find an existing one for inserting a link, but did find this (partial?) list.

ctrl+z Undo
      ctrl+y Redo
      ctrl+b Bold
      ctrl+i Italic
      ctrl+u Underline
      ctrl+1-6 h1-h6
      ctrl+7 p
      ctrl+8 div
      ctrl+9 address

From http://www.tinymce.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9445

It does look like a custom shortcut could be setup and I have forwarded this information to our engineering team to consider when we consider new feature for the HubTool.
      Here is the info I found and shared with them

2. robertzimmerman2 profile image83
    robertzimmerman2posted 2 years ago

So GG, I'll ask one of my well known to you simpleton ?'s here. What do you use to embed a link, straight HTML or is there a capsule? I seem to recall that being mentioned.

And as before, thanks in advance!

Well I found it in the cool Related Discussions below feature!

1. Greekgeek profile image98
      Greekgeekposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Two ways, just in case anyone stumbles across your question later: (a) When you're editing a hub, there's a little chain button at the top of the text editor that lets you make in-text links, or (b) you can use a link capsule.

I usually recommend in-text links for things you particularly want visitors to check out, because I think the reader's eyes may tend to skip over link capsules the way they do ads.  Oddly enough, in-text links often convert better (or at least affiliate sales links do, so I'm guessing non-sales links do, too.)

1. makingamark profile image77
        makingamarkposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I use in-text links on my blog all the time - and tend to highlight two or three of the really crucial ones in bold.

3. calculus-geometry profile image85
    calculus-geometryposted 2 years ago

And how about Ctrl + Shift + L for bulleted lists while we're asking for more shortcuts.

4. SimilarSam profile image71
    SimilarSamposted 2 years ago

Didn't even know Wordpress had this feature, just saved me a few minutes! Knowing this I would love to see it on HubPages as well.