What happens if I put a snipped link back in?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (29 posts)
  1. LongTimeMother profile image91
    LongTimeMotherposted 7 years ago

My most recently snipped hub is about a specific product that is not readily available in stores. It used to have an amazon capsule, but that was deleted courtesy of HubPro a while back. Made no sense to me at the time because I've had multiple sales through amazon for that product, but I didn't argue. Instead, I followed the suggestion aired in forums to use links to text instead of amazon capsules.

So I added a link to an American distributor to text of the product name. (I've used that distributor to send the product to friends in the US so I know they're reliable,) The majority of visitors, according to the hub's stats, come from the US. So I decided it was a good link to include.

But today I received an email saying the hub has been 'snipped' ready for a niche site. The only change made in the snip, was removing my link. So readers who may be very excited about the content of the hub are left in the dark about where to buy the product I write about.

Sorry, but I think that is ridiculous. Particularly given the guidelines outlined repeatedly by staff on the forums.

For instance, 6 days ago Christy wrote on another forum thread ...
    "You must demonstrate personal experience with the product (why do you recommend it personally and how do you like yours?) and the product must also be both directly related to the Hub's subject and be necessary to the reader's experience. Take the time to explain why the reader needs the item to complete the instructions or gain further information about your Hub's subject and make sure the product is something the average person is not likely to already own."

My hub and my link meet all those criteria. I wrote over 2,000 words explaining all about my experience with the product, and why readers need it to get if they hope to achieve the same kind of result as I discussed in my hub.

As you've guessed, I intend to return the snipped link. For the life of me I cannot figure out why it would be removed. Without it, I suspect many readers would be left frustrated and annoyed. There is only ONE outlet in the US currently selling the product (other than amazon, which has been known to occasionally run out of stock). That's the link I provided for readers.

So here's my question ...
    Does reinstating the link in a snipped hub mean the hub will remain on hubpages instead of moving to a niche site? Or does reinstating a link automatically result in the hub being unfeatured? (In which case, I'll move it.)

1. sallybea profile image94
      sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I have the same issue,  What exactly is the point of having e-Bay and Amazon if we can't use them?   Earnings have plummeted over the last year and the only saving grace has been sales from these ads.

2. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
      Anna Marie Bowmanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Maybe instead of a link, which they seem to hate links and Amazon these days, just say something like, "this item can be found through Amazon."  I did that with a couple of my holiday gift hubs, as well as including a couple relevant amazon capsules.

LongTimeMotherposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No, Anna. That won't do. If I am sending readers to Amazon, I'll be sending them there via my Amazon affiliate link. This is a site where writers can earn an income ... using the tools made available. Including Amazon capsules.

There is no advantage to me (or the readers) to be any less direct than providing a link to the product.

2. LongTimeMother profile image91

Here's a P.S. with a related question that puzzles me.

How come the Hub of the Day two days ago had nine text links in the first capsule? Not one or two spread throughout the hub ... but nine in the first capsule. With at least one more further down.

Considered worthy of being HOTD implies that's a formula for success as a hubber. Yet clicking on any of those links takes a reader away from HubPages. How can that possibly be a good thing? Nine invitations to leave the hub ... and the site.

I suggest all links - including links to amazon - should open in a new tab. Perhaps that would relieve some of the pressure to remove all links to potential earnings.

3. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 7 years ago

"What happens if I put a snipped link back in?"

Our lives will end as we know it.

Here's a link that might assist. There's my advice and a hardball post from HP Staff.

http://hubpages.com/community/forum/136 … ipped-hubs

Thanks, paradigm. Pleased to see you still have your finger on the pulse. smile

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 7 years agoin reply to this

How's the teenager invasion going?big_smile Real World really bad for me right now. One day at a time.

4. Robin profile image86
    Robinposted 7 years ago

I took a look at your Hub, and I believe the red flag is linking to the same domain twice and underlining one of the words.  If you add one of the links back, you should be okay.  Please make sure your anchor text is relevant so your reader knows exactly where they are going.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

But Robin, that's inconsistent again.  HubPages' rules says that two links to the same domain is perfectly acceptable.  Has that changed for the new sites, and if not, why are you not applying your own rules?

And you wonder why some of us are getting frustrated.

1. relache profile image71
        relacheposted 7 years agoin reply to this

+1, especially for mentioning lack of consistency

2. paradigmsearch profile image61

I always knew you were a kinder, gentler person. big_smile

[Edit] Don't know what to make of Marisi's post.

5. LongTimeMother profile image91

Thanks for replying, Robin. But like Marisa and relache, I fail to see how I can be in trouble for two links to one domain, according to the 'rules'. It made sense to me to space them and present them as I did. After all, there's 2,500 words in that hub.

In fact, I'd be inclined to argue that I should be able to have my two links in ... plus an Amazon capsule, according to the 'rules'.

I wrote an email to the team (after paradigmsearch prompted me) pointing out that the snip could not possibly hope to improve the performance of that hub. It already rates on Page 1 of multiple search engines, including google ... under a variety of search terms. It's been up there for years now, long before HubPro or snipping were introduced.

I just took a look at one of the search terms that shows in my stats for that hub, and it is in the top half of Google's Page 1 for that term. With 21 million, 500 thousand search results following it!

From where I'm sitting, I can't see how Google or any search engine has any problem with the links I had in that hub. So I am hopeful you will reconsider your suggestion that I have just one link. (Plus, I'm not sure how I could make my anchor text any more relevant than it was in the two links I used.) Perhaps you could email me your suggestion.

1. Robin profile image86
      Robinposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The rules for being Featured on HubPages and for moving to topical domains are different.  If our Featured-level quality was enough, we would have moved every Featured Hub to a topical domain.  Please see our editorial policy for more info. 

Why do your readers need more than one link?  Personally, I would feel like you are pushing something on me with multiple links to the same domain.  What do you have to gain from these links?  From my end, I didn't think you had anything to gain, but maybe I'm wrong.  If they are affiliate links, then I may reconsider saying that adding one is okay.  Also, remember just because your Hub does well today, doesn't mean that it will in the future.  Google is changing algos all the time. 

In order to move to topical domains, Hubbers need to write for readers and not solely for monetary gain.  I'm not saying that you don't do this, but it is something everyone should keep in mind.  I know there is a fine line.  smile

Hardball continues I see. Survival is indeed important. Been there. Am there. A year from now will truly be {can't think of the proper word}.

2. LongTimeMother profile image91

I don't want you thinking I am being flippant or insincere about this discussion, Robin. So I have taken the time to read the 'editorial policy' you referred me to. If I failed to meet the criteria, I would be the first to admit it.

However, I have ticked off each and every one of the criteria in the policy, ie

All authors on topical domains will:

•Adhere to the spirit of our network of sites to inform and inspire.
        •Have a genuine interest and expertise in the topic.
        •Be responsible for creating original, in-depth, and media-rich content.
        •Be responsible for the content they post.
        •Have demonstrated that they are trustworthy, e.g., are well intentioned and not primarily motivated by potential earnings, write about topics they know or care about, have a real name or pen name and bio.
        •Develop their message with a tone complementary to the topic.
        •Write for the benefit of the reader—not for potential earnings.

All articles on topical domains will:

•Provide original content, reporting, research, or analysis.
        •Be well written with proper grammar, spelling, capitalization, and punctuation.
        •Contain a logical structure that supports the message.
        •Have a clear title with proper title case.
        •Have clear, descriptive subheadings with proper title case.
        •Be visually appealing, i.e., be easy to read online: broken up into multiple Text Capsules, using bullets and numbers where appropriate, etc.
        •Only have supporting elements (links, media, products) that are on topic and complement the content.
        •Add value to the online world of content.
        •Contain high-quality original or legal-use media.
        •If relevant, contain good step-by-step instructions or useful analysis.
        •Be free of keyword stuffing and other nefarious SEO tactics.
        •Include concrete and vivid detail and not be spammy.
        UNQUOTE

I find it almost laughable (not wishing to be disrespectful, but being honest because this is important) for you to suggest that anyone reading that hub might feel I was 'pushing something' on them with those two links.

I provided the first link attached to text mentioning the product. The first time I mentioned the product. (Which I believe is relevant anchor text.)

This first link ... and in fact the first time I mentioned the product ... was not in my first capsule. Or my second. Or my third. Or even my fourth. It was not until my fifth capsule of text. If you count the two photo capsules, it is technically the seventh capsule, (Hardly 'pushing' anything on anyone.)

The second time I provide the link is near the very end. A further six text capsules. (If you add the photos, it is 9 capsules later.)

At that point I wrote that I've seen the products in stores in Australia and the UK, and that I'd recently discovered the products are now available in America.

Yes, I underlined America and attached the link to that text. Why? To save anyone in Europe, the UK, Asia, the Middle East, Australia, island nations etc from clicking on a link that wouldn't be relevant to them.

I actually believe the underlining was helpful for readers. Both those in the US who would find it helpful, and those in other regions who would want to avoid it.

You looked at the hub, Robin. Are you seriously suggesting it fails to meet the Editorial Policy criteria?

It concerns me that you imply I wrote that hub for financial gain. That hub has been up - and on page 1 of search engine results - since 2013. It has survived Google's changing algos in all that time (as have a number of other hubs I've written) so I don't think you need to worry too much about my ability to write quality material.

If you honestly 'feel' that I am 'pushing a product' on you when reading that hub, but that you wouldn't feel that way if it didn't have links, I am left very puzzled.

But if you are saying that you don't want hubpages (or your niche sites) appearing on Page 1 of search engines in the topics I write about, just let me know.

I have been quietly biding my time and hoping your latest strategy proves successful. There's been no drop in stats on my hubs that have moved to niche sites, which is good.

Right now, however, after reading your last comment, there is a huge drop in my morale. Which is not good.

6. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 7 years ago

Honestly LTM, I'd just put the snipped links back in.. Both of them..and forget about the niche site move. The hub is doing fine where it is for now. Views on my hubs that have moved have fallen anyway.

1. Annsalo profile image83
      Annsaloposted 7 years agoin reply to this

This!! Yes Jodah! If the article is doing fine where it is, why worry if they move it to the niche site which will guarantee a drop in views? My opinion is to put them back in and let it stay here where you know your views are predictable also.
      If the constant changes aren't enough to push writers away, ruining profitable articles will end up doing it.

7. Robin profile image86
    Robinposted 7 years ago

I tried my best to not offend you, and I'm so sorry if I did.  Sometimes intention gets lost in writing.  I was only trying to help you by responding to your question.  All I can say is that we are very strict about Hubs that we are moving to niche domains.  HubPages has been hit so hard and we want to make sure that our niche domains stay above the fray.  I hope you can understand our dilemma.  I would suggest adding one of the links back.  I think you are giving your reader an opportunity to buy the product if they would like to and you are staying within the guidelines of what we think is appropriate.  I know it's frustrating and we try to look at Hubs in a case-by-case basis, but we also want to be consistent.  We have a lot of Hubs to look at and are doing our best to judge them appropriately. 

Again, I'm really sorry if I offended you in any way; it definitely wasn't my intention.  Truthfully, the moves to topical domains should be a morale boost.  We are doing everything we can to help Hubbers get more traffic and it is working so far.  smile

There it is.

Join or quit.

2. Annsalo profile image83
      Annsaloposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Being consistent would be leaving hubs that have proven to be successful unedited by staff!
      After all if it is page one of google and getting views, obviously something is being done right, and it could provide a great example for what other hubbers need to do.
      This site seems to have stopped really caring about the hubbers or the staff making money. If not why edit articles that are clearly well written, well viewed, and liked by google?
      This really makes no sense.
      Had LTM included repeated links in each capsule I could see the issue, but 2 links in an entire article? Seems to be pointless nit picking to me!

8. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 7 years ago

Having had a bunch of hubs "snipped" I am a little at a loss as to why some of the links are snipped when they clearly link to additional relevant information.. Such as one link that was to a government website from which I drew data - without the link there is no obvious way for the reader to verify or to get additional info... So why snip???

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Exactly.

2. paradigmsearch profile image61

.gov link snipped? Something wrong there indeed.

1. Ramkitten2000 profile image92
        Ramkitten2000posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes, and ridiculous. It's call "the web" for a reason. Sites don't -- or shouldn't -- exist in isolation. They connect, one to another to another, for more or related information ... not to mention sometimes products or services. And it's only proper to link to sources you've used. Get it, HP: a WEB.

SMH

9. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

I have given up trying to work out what is kosher and what is not.

I can't say I have been treated badly really but I can say I have no idea how to act in a way that meets HP's requirements.

This is my experience:

One hub moved with all Amazon ads converted to text links. The text links give no indication that they lead to Amazon.

One hub stripped of all Amazon ads even though they were used many thousands of times by readers.

One hub which should never had ads at any point moved with two original Amazon capsules. This page has been at the top of the SERP's for so long I couldn't get rid of the ads out of pure superstition even though I realised they were redundant long ago.

One hub moved with Amazon capsules intact but reduced from 5 to 2 including an ad that was never used but I felt obliged to include for the sake of fairness. The ads removed were all used regularly for the period where I actually have good data (prior to joining HP's Amazon program).

Let's face it, if I change anything at all now there is good chance the page concerned will be thrown in the trash.

So, castrated as we all are, I am going to take a break from the whole thing, leave email notifications on for the sake of disaster but otherwise put the site out of my mind for the sake of my well being.

I hope when I come back to see a clear route to publication, fewer threats and less uncertainty regarding existing pages, and (not really holding my breath on this one) better data in the Amazon section.

I genuinely hope the niches work out for HP. I would be even happier if they work out for writers, too.

Best of luck...

10. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

+++++++1

11. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 7 years ago

This has happened to me as well. The links are cut while their accompanying text is left behind, making the text nonsensical and irrelevant.
    It proves that lazy moderators are snipping all links and amazon capsules indiscriminately without even reading the hubs they are supposed to "moderate".

Then we email staff and are told to (in many cases) put the links back. Which is much more labor intensive and time wasting than if such lazy moderators were to do a proper editing job.

Sack them I say!

12. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 7 years ago

Yes, I am taking a break too, apart from doing essential work to tidy up after snipping/edits, keeping links up to date etc.  If there's any Amazon ads, I generally try to have two text ones and then a single capsule at the bottom of the page.  That's my interpretation of what HP wants anyway.

My view figures are rocketing, but earnings are down so far.  I hope that the views will compensate for the loss of clicks in the long run.  I am worried though.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)