Getting No Followers Despite Being an Active Publisher

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Laudemhir Jan profile image69
    Laudemhir Janposted 9 years ago

I have been wondering, I have published 11 featured hubs in the span of 4 days yet I only have 2 followers? Do you guys have any secret recipe to have a success in getting more followers?

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Don't write more Hubs in which you discuss earning money on HubPages, but where you then talk about how you haven't earned a single cent from HubPages, because you've just started and don't even have an AdSense account yet, and thus HubPages isn't a very good online learning option.

I'm pretty sure more of those sorts of Hubs will not help you get followers.

2. bethperry profile image84
      bethperryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

First of all, HELLO! and welcome to HP's.
      I won't pretend to be the ultimate word on how to be successful here, but I've been here three years and can offer a few suggestions based on personal experiences: 1. let potential readers know what you write about via Twitter and Facebook; MySpace and Pinterest if you have pages there, too. 2. Spend a little time each week commenting on other Hubs and in the forums (this lets folks know you are an active member). 3. Write articles about subjects you are knowledgeable in and refrain from talking about stuff you have no true knowledge on. I know a trending subject may be tempting to post about, but lack of knowledge shows. As an example, I don't listen to rap music, so will never write recommendation Hub on the genre. 4. Never fall into the temptation to be a troll or play sock puppet theater. 5. Don't worry so much about scores, followers and how many "featured" Hubs as you do to the quality of your writing. A Hub title may sound absolutely fascinating, and the Hubber may fill the article with stunning photos...but if the quality of the writing is sucky, I very well may just ignore future Hubs from that writer.

Good luck and I'm off to check out some of your Hubs smile

3. Brie Hoffman profile image60
      Brie Hoffmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I just took a look at your hubs.  You need to write hubs that answer a question that someone might google.  That's how you get traffic and traffic is all that matters on HP, the rest is just coffee and donuts.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

http://hubpages.com/faq/#followers

I am on Bubblews as well.  Having people that are followers does not mean that they are going to read every hub you write here.  You do not earn for every follower, every hubber that reads your hub.  There are no likes that you earn from.  Comments do not earn you one penny. 

Not to sound accusatory, but what you have asked here, is what Bubblews writers do when they try to skirt the rules at Bubblews about asking people to read their posts and like them. It won't work here. In fact, it is a good way to get banned from forums,as well as HP.  As to followers, if people are not interested in your topics, etc, they are not going to follow you.  Some people simply don't like to leave comments. 

You need organic traffic, not in house traffic. Organic traffic comes from the search engines.

3. profile image48
    princessdeokman24posted 9 years ago

Hey am new here,so i will say i don't know,really

4. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Princessdeokman24: First of all you need hubs to be written, published and then featured after they are reviewed by HP QAP. 

http://hubpages.com/faq/#followers

5. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

You've been here for 4 days.  Patience.  Keep publishing good hubs and if you really want followers, then engage with the community.  Spend time reading hubs of others, commenting and socializing.  Having a lot of followers isn't how you earn money though.  A lot of successful hubbers don't spend a lot of time socializing and more time writing high quality useful hubs.  Followers come naturally over time when you have a lot of amazing hubs.

6. electronician profile image79
    electronicianposted 9 years ago

I've been here 10 months and have also been a little disappointed to have only got up to 90 odd followers in all that time, but I do at least get a decent amount of readers so large follower numbers aren't really necessary to be successful.

1. Laudemhir Jan profile image69
      Laudemhir Janposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this! Now I understand that not everyone is bothered they only have small followers! smile

7. KarenHC profile image78
    KarenHCposted 9 years ago

I agree with ChristinS -- you've been here for just a short time.  Have you been interacting with others on HubPages, through reading and responding to hubs and forums?  People get to know you better that way, and are more likely to check out your profile and hubs.

It's not like the Bubblews platform on which many people will follow you in just a short time.   As you know, on Bubblews the major way to earn money is to have other Bubblers visit and comment on your posts.  It doesn't work that way on Hubpages.   It's a longer term effort that hopefully builds over time.

8. pateluday profile image51
    pateludayposted 9 years ago

As you produce more work followers will come. This is an indication that you have created attractive hubs.

9. LadyFiddler profile image75
    LadyFiddlerposted 9 years ago

Huh! I've wondered about that myself to me the people who aren't active or write weird stuff is more popular but i guess if we love writing. We'll still do it no matter what i don't have a clue what causes that though. Great question smile

10. Rhonda Lytle profile image65
    Rhonda Lytleposted 9 years ago

Don't worry about followers.  Write good articles with useful information, original content and photographs being sure to use key words sparingly and deliberately to gain outside traffic. 
    Followers are great.  It's an in house community of very supportive people which is an awesome perk but won't do you any good at all other than friendships and a maybe confidence boost.
    You need traffic from Google and that has nothing to do with followers.  To best increase traffic from Google, you need about 50 hubs, niches are nice, and a driving determination to keep at it.  You will not see immediate results but over time you will see traffic.  Followers will come.  Traffic is what you really need.

11. profile image0
    Colin323posted 9 years ago

I agree with ChristinS.  People will follow when they get to know your work.

You have a strong music theme emerging in your articles, and music lovers - if they like what they read - will follow you to be alerted on new posts.

Perhaps you could raise a music related discussion on the forum?

12. BritFlorida profile image70
    BritFloridaposted 9 years ago

A better alternative to worrying about followers here is to concentrate on growing your social media followers. Post your articles for them and you'll get outside traffic.

13. ecogranny profile image84
    ecogrannyposted 9 years ago

I'm new to HubPages too, and I can't help wondering if more people would follow you if you used a photograph of yourself for your avatar, or at the very least one that grabbed the eye and held it.

14. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

Followers are not important on HubPages.   The social side of HubPages is a nice motivator but it does not help you earn money.

You will make money when 90% of your traffic is coming from outside HubPages - from Google, Yahoo, Bing, and social networks.  So it makes sense that your promotional efforts should be directed outside HubPages, not inside. 

LiveWithRichard has proved that point - you can read about his other account here - in particular, note the last paragraph of his opening post

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/124183

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)