jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

A hub to link a set of articles?

1. Lionrhod profile image94
    Lionrhodposted 2 years ago

One of my earlier lens-now-hubs was about one of the 8-fold god/dess aspects in my path of Wicca.

The original plan was to write a separate page for each one of the eight, then eventually take out some of the explanation of why we have 8 gods, how we use them etc, and create a separate page for that, linking to all 8 articles in the series.

I'd probably add in some additional content, such as invocations to the 8-fold gods, why 8 gods rather than the traditional number used in most Wiccan paths and so on.

The reason I don't want to use groups for this: I plan on writing a lot more articles on Wicca and don't want to have these 8 articles separated from my larger Wicca group.

Does that work within HP's policies/guidelines? Any better suggestions?

2. Millionaire Tips profile image89
    Millionaire Tipsposted 2 years ago

Yes it does fit within the guidelines, especially as you said, you would add more content that ties these all together and not just provide a list of links.

Lionrhodposted 2 years ago in reply to this

2. lisavollrath profile image89
      lisavollrathposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Won't linking to eight articles on HubPages trip the promotional content filter?

1. Writer Fox profile image80
        Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You can link to as many Hubs as you want to, but the content of a Hub must, of course, be useful to visitors and not just promote yourself.

2. lobobrandon profile image82
        lobobrandonposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Your own subdomain so it's alright.

3. lobobrandon profile image82
    lobobrandonposted 2 years ago

Lionrhod, you can make a seperate group just for these 8 - you know that right? If not give it a thought. Else if you plan on adding more info no issues there.

I do understand that I could make a separate group for just those 8, however I'd prefer to keep those 8 as a subset of the rest of the Wicca articles I have in the works. I don't see a benefit in putting them in a separate group.

4. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 2 years ago

We used to call Hubs that indexed or linked to a group of Hubs a "capstone."  As long as the capstone has all the necessary content to stand in its own, they can work, but IMO they tend to be low traffic compared to the main articles themselves.

Awesome, thanks. I don't mind if the capstone gets less traffic. My main reason for making this a separate hub is that there is Information which otherwise would need to be duplicated, and this is of course a giant no-no.

I plan on making the capstone informational in itself, and adding a bucket load of more stuff to it.

The whole idea of this series, started as a Rocket Squid challenge to write a page about the color red. (I do miss those challenges, as they gave me interesting and unique prompts and made me look at subjects in a new way.) As I was writing it, I realized that since the practice of having an 8-fold god/dess is rather unusual in Wicca, I'd have to explain it. But since I don't want to bore my readers (or have duplicate content!) I'd rather not explain the same thing 8 separate times. And coming up with a unique way to say the same exact thing 8 times over sounds like a writing challenge that I don't want to take on!

It might be a while before I actually finish the whole series. Right now I'm focused on fixing the lens-turned-hubs that I already have.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
        Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I second the Capstone idea.  What I found motivating was to start the Capstone Hub when I started the series, make a declaration at the top of that Hub about what I was planning to do, and then add a link to each Hub as I wrote it. 

That was before QAP was introduced so it may be a bit more tricky to do that now - a low-content Capstone wouldn't get through QAP! - but if you've got a decent amount of content to use as an introduction, you might get away with it. 

Although the Capstone Hub itself doesn't get much traffic, at one time the Capstone concept was actively promoted by HubPages and we actually got an upfront payment for writing them!

5. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 2 years ago

Someone had asked about doing a hubography.  I could  not think of who had posted about the "capstone" hub before, but I figured I would see it again.

6. DealForALiving profile image81
    DealForALivingposted 2 years ago

Good idea! I may give it a try too...