Using song lyrics in a hub

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)
  1. profile image0
    lambservantposted 9 years ago

I am writing a hub about songs about friends. I would like to offer samples of lyrics from each song. What are the legal issues with this, since they are copyrighted songs?

1. favored profile image62
      favoredposted 9 years agoin reply to this

From what I have experienced you can use part of them and link it to the source.  If it is public domain you need to list that. Then there was one I used and it got flagged even though it was credited.  The way I was able to post one was on a photo with the lyrics printed on it. It went through fine.  So there you go. It seems crazy, but I think it depends on what kind of day the search engines are having. LOL

Seriously, this is a touchy topic so best be safe by linking to the source.  This may help with your question concerning writers and legal issues. http://www.thebookdesigner.com/2013/03/ … al-issues/

2. lisavollrath profile image93
      lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Because HubPages is a commercial venture, there is no Fair Use exemption that would allow the use of a line or two. Unless you obtain permission to use a portion of the lyrics, I would steer clear of using them in your text. It would be akin to someone "using" a portion of one of your articles, as written, in one of theirs.

However, if a video of the song you're thinking of using is posted online by the artist or their publishing company, you might be able to use that, if embedding has not been disabled.

3. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Quoting song lyrics is the most awesome way to trip the duplicate content filter on this site.  After Bible quotes of course.

2. Shorebirdie profile image74
    Shorebirdieposted 9 years ago

Generally, the courts have held up using small parts of a song or lyrics for review or analytical purposes in publications that talk specifically about that song or group of songs.  But, it's very risky.  Copyright law can be very tricky about such things and what is OK in one circumstance may not be OK in others.

3. lafleurdeplume profile image61
    lafleurdeplumeposted 9 years ago

Would it be possible to reference the song with a link to YouTube so interested readers can hear the song/lyrics? Without expressed permission, you must be really careful, but you can talk about specific song titles without any fear of copyright infringement...

4. Dressage Husband profile image67
    Dressage Husbandposted 9 years ago

Song performers and Karaoke bars etc. get around this issue by purchasing a performing arts license. These are available in all countries, but the regulations vary. When you purchase your license you have to describe what purpose you are going to be using the material for.

I am not aware if Hubpages has one for the USA in general as this would cover the use on the site. Maybe Paul could consider this if he has not already, plus I am only familiar in how it is done in the UK. I applied for a performers license once.

It is interesting as these licenses are required for businesses that play a radio or music over their PA (most businesses are not aware that this license is required). By publishing songs books, etc. that are for sale in the public domain you are saying that you relinquish some of your rights and the licensing authority remits royalties to the publisher and they to the artist/originator of the work.

The rules for written work are similar but different and I am not sure if you can purchase a license to quote from books in the same way. I believe for these that you would need the permission of the owner of the rights to the work (this is not necessarily the author!).

For music the writer actually passes on the rights to the licensing authority who protect his authorship by charging the fee and paying on the royalty. This means the author can not stop you, if you have the appropriate license, even if they do not approve of your use in practice.

Before you publish anything I suggest you check out everything with the authority in your country and get HP staff to confirm they are happy with you using it. I believe Youtube is correctly licensed and under their terms the poster gives the right for the content to be further embedded unless they specifically exclude it when they post, if the author has done that then no-one can use that video period.

I hope this clarifies the position for people, but it is quite complex and I am sure that Paul Edmonson and HP in general are trying to be seen to be complying with US legislation and also checking with their lawyers etc. that they do, and will inform us if anything changes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)