How do I post song lyrics without violation

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image89
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

Can someone tell me how to post song lyrics without it being a duplicate violation?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Let me first say: "I don't know". Take that as a given, and everything else with a grain of alt..

But, you can probably post a link to a site that has a legal right to post it.

You might even  be able to include a line or two--- and go on to give our own interpretation of the song or the lyric.

If you request permission from the songwriter or artist-- to write about it and include a link, you may get a slap, or a big go-ahead.

Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Rochelle I followed you advice! smile

2. Uninvited Writer profile image81
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Probably if you make sure that you have more content that you have quoted lyrics your hub will not be classified as a duplicate. I have lyrics on one of my hubs and I haven't gotten any violations ... yet.  I do say where I got the lyrics and I have a link to the site...the singer/songwriter's official website.

Thanks UW, I remove the lyrics and posted the link. I also named my source of info about the Singer

3. profile image0
      GalaxyRatposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Place the copyright. I sometimes copy & paste from MetroLyrics or KLove.com, but I always include the copyright...

2. FloraBreenRobison profile image61
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

The only way  you can do it is  in relation to analysis of the lyrics as if you were writing an essay for school-see Nellianna's hub on Plaisir D'Amour. she listed the lyrics completely  in French, English, and the popular lrics  of a tune she knew and loived, thinking the lyrics  were correct translations-of course they weren't.   As such, I would say write the anaylsis part first and type in the lyrics later  so the engines know you are not just posting lyrics. I used to  put in links  first  for waht research I used-always I got the overly promotional warning. So now I add them last and  there is no problem

Thanks Flora, I did an analysis of the song as you suggested and I think it's better than just posting the lyrics.

3. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 12 years ago

I am s singer-songwriter and have no objections to anyone quoting my lyrics as long as they give credit to me as the writer. One the subject of quoting lyrics by other writers I have sometimes quoted a verse or lines in the context of a hub. I am sure that is OK!

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

I copy paste lyrics to complete songs into hubs all the time - I've never once had a problem with that because my hubs tend to nearly always go to around 1500 words or so. 

I've got a hub that is simply "Songs about cocaine" which has complete lyrics to I don't know how many songs, and that's no problem either.

If I write a hub about someone like The Bard of Ely - then me putting complete song lyrics from a Bard of Ely song into the hub about him isn't a problem either, as clearly they are his lyrics.

I pretty much always include a video from youtube for lyrics - who wants to read lyrics without hearing the song?  The video also seconds the source as Bard of Ely, or Johnny Cash, or whoever I'm talking about.

Anyone can use quotes or lyrics - the thing is to source that stuff to the author, and to have enough unique text to support the hub that the quotes or lyrics aren't the majority of the text.  There is a percentage of text that must be reached to keep a hub from having a "duplicate content" warning.

It's really not to hard to do or get done - and if it's against the rules, then it's mind blowing that I've been doing it consistently for over a year without getting flagged for it. . . .

I spent last night deleting over 200 RSS FEED capsules, as I do see how those things really are duplicate content - and because Google could possibly frown upon those for that reason, and combined with the fact that in reality, the RSS FEEDs were created as a sort of "fresh content" trick to trick the almighty Google. . . .and because smarter people than me have been analyzing statistics and deduced as much. . .don't worry about lyrics - just delete your RSS feeds!

1. DonnaCSmith profile image84
      DonnaCSmithposted 12 years agoin reply to this
        1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
          Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's interesting!  But I fail to see how it's against any TOS here or with Adsense.

For instance - If I'm copy pasting Johnny Cash lyrics into a hub - then you can bet that I've also got Johnny Cash music for sale on amazon.com.

So if you were the family of the late Johnny Cash - then you would probably realize that I'm doing you a favor, promoting the music products that got you the wealth that you have, and also selling more of them so as to ensure your families continued wealth.

If I'm breaking rules - Hubstaff has always let me know about it.

1. Simone Smith profile image87
            Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The gist is this: We can only review so much, so usually lyric-heavy Hubs are moderated because of duplicate content (seeing as that's something that automatic filters can easily find an alert us about). 
            That said, if any content is illegally used and we are made explicitly aware of that, the Hub containing that content will be moderated. Illegally used content is illegally used content. We don't have the resources to make sure that each and every bit of text or image is legally used, but we expect everyone to do the right thing.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Fiction is different than non-fiction and a novel is different than a hub. It would be the same if you quote lyrics on TV or a movie. As long as you give proper credit online it's okay.

Actually the copyright law for lyrics and poetry is more strict than for prose, and it is no different for fiction and nonfiction, photos, art ,etc. You are breaking the law if you copy without permission (in fiction and non-fiction prose there is the "fair use" exception.

Giving proper credit has nothing at all to do with it, You need the author's permission. It is Federal law, not Hub law:o)

The best thing to do is read the copyright laws. There is a huge misconception that all one has to do is give credit.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image81

I am quite aware of copyright laws. I thought lyrics were different. I knew you have to get permission when having them in a book. I guess I figured since so many lyrics sites are still allowed to exist that it was okay. I doubt most of them get permission.

Okay, you are probably right and we shouldn't republish them unless we have permission from the writer.

6. Cardisa profile image89

I want to thank all of you for your advice. I really appreciate my hub buddies. I love HP FORUMS.... big_smile

I sort of already e mailed someone on staff about this so as to (hopefully) get a definite answer.  I'm positive that lyrics are fine so long as they are credited to the author - as I've been doing that for over a year without a problem.

Wesman, I recently did a hub about Bob Marley and his One Love lyrics. I gave a little background on Bob Marley and how the song was named the song of the millennium and the best Jamaican song for 50 years and they still unpublished my hub for duplicate content.

DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did a recent hub on Doc Watson - and I put the entire lyrics to one song in the article - but when you do that - you have to have a LOT of totally original text to prevent the HP software from marking it as "duplicate content."

I don't know what the percentage is - but I am POSITIVE that there is a percentage of text that must be original to keep a hub from being marked and unpublished as "duplicate content."

I'd say just write another five hundred words about Bob Marley on your hub - and I bet that that will take care of it.

7. Cardisa profile image89

Thanks Wesman, I posted a link to the lyrics and did an analysis on the lyrics. I actually like the hub better now.

8. sushantkshr profile image66
    sushantkshrposted 12 years ago

I dunno how Hubpage works duplicate content....But google wont mark your content plagiarised if you put the lyrics in inverted quotes....("")....as a lot of hubpages algorithm depends on how google works..it might work out for you this way......
    give it a try and do let me know if you succeed.....smile
    all the best:)

1. janderson99 profile image55
      janderson99posted 12 years agoin reply to this

put the text into and image !!!

Use print screen - open up in an image tool  =>  Voila!

Below is the image!

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5421717.jpg

That is still a copyright violation.

9. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

There is nothing in this world that is illegal if no one files or reports a violation of words on paper known as "law."  If someone I'm promoting through lyrics complains, I'll gladly remove the content - and all the amazon capsules that make them more profit than me when a sale is made.

Then I'll copy all of your content and spread it all over the 'net smile

That would be fine if I had recordings for you to sell on amazon.com - in fact - I would then be VERY proud for you to do that.

Most artist PAY MONEY for promotion - if you don't believe that, you're missing LOTS.

10. profile image49
    katherynmcmahonposted 12 years ago

I have worked for a record label. If the composer is a indie band or an individual just ask for permission. Most bands are happy to have someone put the lyrics on the internet. We practically had to beg to get lyrics up.

If it is a signed group. You need to contact the publisher.  In most cases the composer and artist sell the publication  rights to their label. If you have the CD look on the back. If you plan to put them on your website you probably won't get into trouble if it is properly copyright noted. Some people are very picky. Gene Simmons owns the rights to his music and he gets very touchy about anything!

If you plan to publish a book of lyrics or include a sampler in a song then you absolutely must contact the publisher for rates.

The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers provides a searchable database where you'll find composers, titles, publishers, and other pertinent information for millions of compositions.
    http://www.ascap.com

Hope this helps

Katheryn, thank you for the info and the link. I am bookmarking it for future research!

11. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

Both 1) use copyright free lyrics AND 2) have quotes be less than 5% of the hub in total.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)