Can I work on a new hub and not have it published?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (19 posts)
  1. favored profile image63
    favoredposted 9 years ago

I've looked for an answer to this but didn't see one.

In trying to fix my lenses into Hubs I'm finding I need to divide them into one or more Hubs.  Can I remove content off of a published article and put it on a new one without the new one being published before it's finished?  It seems once you start one you can't stop until it's finished without going into violation.

Plus will it make it seem like there's duplicate content even though I've deleted it from the original article?

1. Solaras profile image96
      Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You can save it "unpublished" and no one but you can see it.

favoredposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Solaras you mean after I create a new hub the unpublish is my save tab?  Even though it's not live will moving the content cause the original published hub to go into violation?

1. profile image0
          calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It should not cause a violation, but if it does, you can email the hub moderation team to have it manually cleared if you believe it meets HP's standards.
          team@hubpages.com

2. tea lady 2 profile image76
        tea lady 2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you unpublish, I read that your forward link from Squidoo will no longer work.

Tea Lady, that's not good news.  So I won't be doing that.  Thanks for letting me know.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image71
          Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The Squidoo links will only forward to the original URL that was transferred to HubPages, so if you delete that Hub and make a new one, then that link will no longer forward.

Unpublishing a Hub will mean that it can only be viewed by you while it is unpublished, but simply doing so does not have any impact on the Squidoo URL forward.

Be aware that any new Hub will not share the original Squidoo publish date, nor will it be subject to the rules grace period so it could show as duplicate or be moderated.

You can find more details about the Squidoo migration process here.

http://hubpages.com/squidoo/faq
          http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/123836

Matthew, I'm not deleting the original Hub, but dividing it creating a new URL.  Some of my teaching articles were actually Units.  They were long and did quite well, but don't fit into this format.

I understand about the new hubs not having a grace period, and creating a new one should line up with the rules OK.  Thank you for the links.  I'll recheck to see what I've missed.  Appreciate it.

1. Lionrhod profile image78
              Lionrhodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If this helps any:

I have a few hubs (previously lenses) that had some info on them which I eventually intended to edit out and put into new hub/lenses. The articles just weren't complete without having that info SOMEWHERE.

I asked around about it and it seems like it's perfectly fine if you take out some info that applies to a series of hubs and create what they used to call a Capstone Hub leading to all your similar hubs that belong to the set. This is especially okay if your Capstone has unique info and can be considered a full healthy hub all on it's own.

I'm also dividing up some hubs because the brand new one I was creating turned into what looks like it should be at least 3 or 4 separate ones. LOL and the THINNED DOWN version of my hub in progress clocks in around 3300 words. There's still some stuff on it that once again may need to move to a separate hub down the line if I need to (very likely) repeat the same info all over again.

Lionrod I think many transferred articles may find that they will need the same treatment in order to meet HP guidelines.  It will take some time, but at least we're permitted to do it.  The good thing is that it will create more articles in a specific niche.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

favored,
      You can choose your title, etc. and start a new Hub and then you can highlight the text your decided content is in and paste it into the new Hub. There you are able to work on it and publish when satisfied.

Just remember to erase the content from the first Hub in time. Check in a few days to make sure that it is okay.

Examiner -1 just the words I was hoping to hear.  Will do on erasing it from the original hub.  Thanks.  Everyone has been quite helpful.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
          The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

favored,
          You are welcome. :-)

2. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 9 years ago

Have you used the hub creation tool before? There's a button at the top to save unpublished right beside the button to publish.  Click on the "start a hub" in the black header bar to see how the process works.

As for the black box of violation warnings at the top, they are meaningless until the hub is published.  For example, if you just wrote the title and the first sentence and saved the draft, it would give you a violation warning for insufficient content.  Nothing to worry about. Drafts on HubPages work the same way as drafts on other content sites or your own blog; nobody can see them but you.

Calculus no I haven't used that tool.  Where is it? When I open to edit a published hub it doesn't have save draft as a choice, but preview, unpublish and done editing.

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

To create a new hub from scratch, click on the top where it says "start a hub" then fill in the title and category (and edit the url if you want) and click on the button below all that to get it started. The option to save unpublished (same as draft) is at the top next to the option to publish.  There's no time limit on drafts; I have some that I started more than a year ago but never bothered to finish.

One tip: the url is generated automatically from the title you enter and can be edited in the first step, but can't be changed once you've clicked to create a draft.  You can edit the url in that very first step only, so make sure everything in the url is spelled correctly before you start, or else you'll have to create a new draft.  This has happened to me several times!  Some people say misspellings in the url are no big deal since you can edit the title as much as you want, but misspellings bother me everywhere.

Calculus some articles take me months even after I have most of the research finished.  Dividing existing articles may take time, because I don't want the published ones to get messed up or lose traffic.  Thanks, I appreciate your help.

1. Rhonda Lytle profile image65
            Rhonda Lytleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you will have a problem.  I often work on some for weeks or longer under another account name.  Until such time as you hit publish, it really just sits there.  Don't worry about any of the violation notifications at the top until such time as you are done and ready to publish.  They should be gone by then and if not, address them at that time, though I doubt you will have any by the time your article is finished.

Rhonda that's encouraging.  Those little symbols really get to me, but they are also helpful finding the problem.  The more you write here I guess you don't see them that much.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)