Okay... Yet Another Quick Question.. or Two

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Heather Tripp profile image69
    Heather Trippposted 11 years ago

So, I understand I can't publish any content on here that I have used for another site. But can I publish on here first, then carry those articles over to another site? Is that allowed? Cause on the other sites I write for allow me to republish content on them...

Also, I read that the hubs are supposed to read like a magazine article. I don't normally write in the first person, but I have one article that I would like to write in the first person about how I make a couple hundred dollars a month online. Would that be alright?

Thanks!

2. Nesbyte profile image78
    Nesbyteposted 11 years ago

You can't publish anything that's on Hubpages anywhere else without first removing it from Hubpages. Really, really stupid, but those are the rules. You'll get a duplicate content notice if you publish the same thing somewhere else, even if it's published on Hubpages beforehand.
    As for your other question, yes, that's fine.

1. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not exactly true... You MUST publish here first, and after it has been indexed by the SE's you may publish elsewhere but you have to have a link that points back to the original content... This link tells the SE's that yes, this is duplicate and not to index it.  Without that link pointing back to your original content, the SE's may index it and it could possibly outrank your original. 

You will get a copyright notification that your hub may have been copied, you can choose to ignore it or follow up on those copyright notifications.. it's up to you.

However, if you try to publish something here that has already been published elsewhere you will get a duplicate content notification and will NOT be allowed to publish it here.

That said, I would reconsider publishing your content anywhere else on the Internet if you have already published it here.  This was an OLD way to game the SE's and is pretty much frowned upon today.  The only way it is acceptable is to publish along with the link pointing back to the original content.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

In my experience a Hub will get flagged duplicate and unpublished no matter whether you post first here or first somewhere else.  You can't have duplicates at all.

Do you have any copyright notifications on your hubs?  I do and some of them have been there for 3 years... You can't get rid of some of them.  HP checks for duplicate content prior to it being published and if they find duplicates they will not let you publish.   However once it has been published and people start to copy your stuff, they are not going to unpublish your hubs, they will only notify you that there is a potential copied hub out there.

4. psycheskinner profile image84

Yes, and if *you* posted it they require you to take it down.  HP does not allow you to post duplicate content no matter where you posted it first.

5. WebsiteConfetti profile image60
    WebsiteConfettiposted 11 years ago

Duplicate content is not allowed on Hub Pages at all. It doesn't matter if it has been published here first.

http://hubpages.com/faq/#duplicate_content

6. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 11 years ago

You are both confused about what is considered duplicate content and that is understandable...

Duplicate content is content that is "detected as published previously on another site."  It is also content that is published in multiple places on your own site... ie 'latest' 'archived'... 

If you publish something here first, it is original.  It is time and date stamped to prove its publication date. If you then try to publish the same hub here under a different username it will get denied as being duplicate content.  Hubpages does not allow the publication of material that has been previously published anywhere on the Internet.   

If you republish that same content on another site, that content will be considered duplicate on that site. Hubpages has no control over duplicate content on other sites.  As a courtesy to us, they occasionally check to see if our content has been copied and they notify us of potential copies and remind us of our rights to rectify any copyright violations. 

Copyright and Duplicate content are NOT the same thing.  You as a publisher retain all the copyrights of your content and a copyright notification is a warning that your rights may have been violated.  If you published your own content on another site, that is not considered a copyright violation so you can ignore the warning that Hubpages provides you.  That republished content becomes duplicate only on the other site and not here on Hubpages.

If you duplicate your content and post it on other sites it is imperative that you also provide a link back to the original Hub.  This, as I mentioned earlier, lets the SE's know to only index the original content.  Without this link back to the original the SE's can index the duplicate content and depending on other factors it may even rank the duplicate content higher than the original.  This is why scrapers and copyright violators do not include links to the original.. they want full credit for your work and that is illegal.   

I hope this clears up the misconception about duplicate content.  I would also add that publishing the same content with the link back to the original on multiple sites will provide you with little to no benefit. Publishing that content without the link can be detrimental to the original content but as long as you are the copyright holder, it is not illegal or against the rules.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

From the learning center, http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Mode … te-Content , "If you receive an email stating that your Hub has been spotted as having duplicate content, it means that your Hub contains text that also appears on another site or Hub, or is substantially similar or closely paraphrased from another work, or works."

This one is plain; if the work is duplicated regardless of which one came first it will be moderated.

Other sections, notably the TOS, does indeed state that a hub copying previous work is "duplicate".  However, that section seems to be concerning itself with first publication, where the hub will not be published if a duplicate is found. 

The one in the learning center does not mention first publication at all, just the matter of duplication.  In addition, flagging a hub includes a section on duplication; if hubs are not allowed to be published with a duplicate, prior, example on the web, then there is no need for flagging. That only happens when the content is duplicated after publication.

Exactly,  the duplicate content warning is to let you know that only original content will be accepted for publication on Hubpages.com.. 

I reiterate, Hubpages has NO control over content copied to other sites and as a courtesy they provide us with notifications of potential copyright violations. 

Again, copyright and duplicate content are not the same thing.  Duplicate content Cannot be published here which is why someone who tries, receives the warning.

In the 3 and half years that I have been here, I have never had a hub removed for duplicate content yet I have at least 10% of my content scraped on other sites.  I viraciously seek out copyright violators of my content but there are some in countries that are unreachable.  Even by filing a DMCA with Google or Bing, this will not get the content removed it will only stop the content from being indexed in those SE's.  To get the content removed I would have to go to court which would be a total financial waste.  The copied content will remain and I will continue to get the copyright notification but Hubpages will not remove my content because my content is the original.

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You may be right, I'm still not sure.  I know I've seen several posts where a hub was unpublished for having scraped content posted elsewhere.  As far as I know, HP has always allowed the hub to remain, with an apology that it was an error that it was unpublished, and algorithms are never perfect.

Others that have been unpublished for using their own content elsewhere, as far as I know, have remained unpublished until the other content is removed.

This would seem to indicate that HP tries to accommodate scraped content, understanding it isn't the hubbers fault, but will unpublish if the hubber copies their own work onto another site.  All from forum posts, though and I know some have lied about it in their post, so I'm not sure where HP stands on copying your own work, after publication, onto another site.  I know I've seen forum posts that content must be not only original but unique, but don't recall now whether it was HP or another hubber that said it.

7. psycheskinner profile image84

My reading is that duplicate just isn't allowed at all.  I am sticking with that interpretation until hubpages clarifies it. Given that they have all of 3 or 4 sentences on the subject in the learning centre, it could do with some clarifying.

1. Cyber Lawyer profile image59
      Cyber Lawyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This they are unlikely to do, as they dislike duplicate material immensely, preferring exclusivity. However, it is obviously correct that an original article remains original content on HubPages no matter how many times it is subsequently copied elsewhere. Any other interpretation is also practically unworkable.

8. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 11 years ago

Duplicate content can only hurt a site if the site is the violator.  Having multiple copies of the same content on a site, as many blogs do when they use the 'archive' feature, can cause the SE's problems when trying to rank the page the content is on.  This is why it is advisable to use a 301 on archived urls.

I'm sure you know, but for others that may read this, the SE's crawl a page and then using hundreds of different elements they index the page and also apply a page rank.  If the SE crawls a page and finds content that is linked to original content on another page, no matter what site it is on, it will ignore the indexing and ranking on that content and only apply the indexing and ranking factors to the original. 

Duplicate content posted on another site cannot hurt the site where the original content is published.  If that were the case then I would be able to copy the hubs of all of my competitors and publish copies of their hubs on thousands of article directories causing thousands of duplicate content and thereby destroy my competition.  This just is not the case.

9. chasmac profile image91
    chasmacposted 11 years ago

Thanks Richard. That makes sense. I've had at least one hub stolen and re-published. it would be very unfair if HubPages were to punish me for someone stealing my content. Google, however, did penalise me for it as that site took all my Google traffic for that hub until I threatened action against the thief and got them to remove it.
    By the way way, what's a 301?

A 301 is a redirect that you can place in the code of your own sites.  It redirect traffic to your preferred URL...  http://support.google.com/webmasters/bi … swer=66359

10. Heather Tripp profile image69
    Heather Trippposted 11 years ago

Wow, talk about confusing. It doesn't seem like anyone really knows the answer.

If Hubpages won't let me take MY work, and republish it on another site, I honestly don't know how much I will be writing for them. This site definitely won't be my priority, because that's basically saying once I submit it here, then they have all the rights, and I'm left with no say.

And since I'm the one doing the work, and all the writing, then I definitely want to decide what gets done with it.

I don't mind it if Hubpages wants me to publish it here first, and let it get settled here, BEFORE publishing it somewhere else. That's cool with me, but for them to tell me what I can and can't do with my own work... That's not acceptable in my book.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It sounds like you're not aware of one important feature of the internet.  Publishing the same content in several places is pointless and won't bring you any benefit.    It used to work, but it doesn't now.

That's because when Google finds two versions of the same article, it will pick one to include in its results, and ignore the rest (or put them on distant pages).    Google says it tries to identify which is the original version and feature that one, but it doesn't always get it right.   For that reason, it's risky to post the same material in multiple places, because you can't control which one will be featured. 

Say, for instance, that you post an article on HubPages. You then post it on Triond and Helium.  Now, HP pays more than those two sites, so you really want Google to feature your HP version.  However, for some reason, Google chooses the Helium version - which means your HP version gets no views and therefore earns zip.  You've just shot yourself in the foot!

As for rights - HP only takes the right to publish as long as you choose to leave the article here.  You can unpublish at any time, and HP has no further right to that article.  Unlike other sites like Helium, which take first rights in perpetuity.

smile Very well explained.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)