jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)

It pays to check your stats page daily

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image96
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 17 months ago

This is a heads up:  I often hear people say they rarely check their stats page, but this is a mistake.  You should check it at least twice each day because this is where you will see notices of copyright infringement, unfeatured articles and other warnings.  Twice this past month I discovered copied hubs by doing this and was able to deal with them quickly.  So if you've been ignoring the stats page, perhaps you had better start looking at it.

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 17 months ago in reply to this

There are so many duplicate hubs out there I no longer bother to chase them up, lol!

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image96
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 17 months ago in reply to this

So you don't mind if people steal your work and use it to make money for themselves and cost you money?  Interesting!

The articles that are most stolen either made me hardly any money or rank so high in Google they can't be beaten by dupes anyway.

One of my hubs has at least 200 dupes that I know of. Why waste the time on getting each of them taken down? In that time, I could write 6 new articles which generate 6x as much ongoing traffic.

1. Solaras profile image93
            Solarasposted 17 months ago in reply to this

Nice to see you here again!

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image96
            TIMETRAVELER2posted 17 months ago in reply to this

Well, whatever works for you, I guess.  Most people who have their work stolen cannot afford to have duplicates floating around the net, so for them, it's a good idea to follow up.  I guess each situation is different.  I rarely have mine stolen...I've filed DMCA notices on perhaps 5 or 6 articles in three years.  When numbers are that low, it is worth following up , at least for me.

3. lobobrandon profile image82
            lobobrandonposted 17 months ago in reply to this

Exactly what  I do, gave up on them. Got quite a few notices. Not worth the time hunting for contact info or host details.

4. NateB11 profile image93
            NateB11posted 17 months ago in reply to this

2. moonlake profile image90
      moonlakeposted 17 months ago in reply to this

I check mine everyday and each day it gets worse.

3. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 17 months ago in reply to this

I think it's important to strike a balance.   You don't want to be wasting time looking at stats, especially if (as is likely) it leads to you obsessing about meaningless daily fluctuations in traffic.

If someone does copy your Hub on another site, it's going to take some time for Google to react, so pouncing on it straight away is not essential.  So for that, I'd say checking once a week would be plenty.

As for unfeaturing - if something has been unfeatured for lack of traffic, then it's already making no money, so a few days unfeatured won't make much difference.  As Mark says, there is usually a reason for the low traffic and although you can revive it with a minor edit, that won't improve the traffic, so it's a wasted effort unless you're willing to do the research to work out what's wrong with the Hub and whether it's fixable.  For that reason, again I'd say once a week is enough.

2. Beaddoodler profile image82
    Beaddoodlerposted 17 months ago

I always check mine at least once and usually twice.  I've never found a duplicate, but if I have a notice of something I can correct, I want to do it as soon as possible.

3. The Examiner-1 profile image83
    The Examiner-1posted 17 months ago

I keep an eye on my stats and have never seen dupes but have caught things like unfeatured Hubs, and other good or bad things.

4. DrMark1961 profile image92
    DrMark1961posted 17 months ago

I agree with WryLilt on spending so much time tracking down and filing against copied hubs. Yes, I have a lot of them. No, they do not take away significant traffic since they are buried in the back pages.
    As far as checking to find unfeatured articles, I think that is another mistake. If an article is unfeatured for lack of traffic, you should leave it that way unless you can make significant changes to the title or article that are going to get you good traffic. Yes, I have read those people on the forums that say "Just edit the hub and change a letter or two in the hub and it will be featured again". It will also become unfeatured again. The reason that program was invented is so that your articles that have good ranking will shine even brighter.
    So if you´ve been ignoring the stats page and been outside smelling the roses, more power to you!

5. Suzanne Day profile image97
    Suzanne Dayposted 17 months ago

I just do a few whenever my eye falls on those notices....spend an hour or so. I'm down to 2 which after numerous attempts, are still going. Down from about 700 total.