New source of copied hubs; LinkedIn - Ranking first place in SERPS

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (17 posts)
  1. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 8 years ago

Wondering where some of my traffic has buggered off to so I have searched some of my main keywords only to find that direct copies of my hubs now outrank the original hubs by being published on of all places LinkedIn...

It seems that a copy on LinkedIn will outrank our original articles very easily.... Not only will they outrank they will take the first place in the SERPS on Google!!!

Looking forward to endorsing the offending assholes as plagiarists and thieves when they accept my connection requests as I am sure they will!!!

1. Writer David profile image60
      Writer Davidposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'd make sure LinkedIn management knows about this disgusting THIEF.  I hate people like that.  It is stealing.  Plain and simple.

2. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Google is really, really interested in having people demonstrate to them that stolen content can outrank the original.  They sort of swear this doesn't happen, so you may find it productive to point that out to them.

3. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Whoa, that's not good and I wasn't aware of it. Too bad LinkedIn isn't like facebook which doesn't get indexed, except for the fan pages.

The problem is, of course, that they are outranking the originals. A slew of copies never do that, but when they do it's a problem.

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have had several hubs either partially or completely plagiarized by people who write for LinkedIn. When I have filed DMCA complaints with them using their form, those articles always disappear within a day. 

It really irks me that Google is allowing the copied work to outrank our own, but it's a clear message that they don't think much of HP. We just seem to always be the underdogs in this fight, and I'm afraid we are going to lose it.

This really sucks!

5. PegCole17 profile image94
      PegCole17posted 8 years agoin reply to this

A couple of years ago Paul Edmondson was concerned about this and wrote a forum topic about it.
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/111495

6. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Get a link for the search results page where the stolen content outranks yours and report it to Google here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Pw1KVO … Y/viewform

Then, file a DMCA notice with LinkedIn on their form:
      https://help.linkedin.com/app/ask/path/TS-NCI/

1. LeanMan profile image79
        LeanManposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks writer fox - already submitted for LinkedIn, but the link to report to Google was worthwhile; although the articles are now all gone from LinkedIn - they react quite quickly.
        Submitted the links anyway to Google.

1. Writer Fox profile image32
          Writer Foxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Next time, get the link for Google search results first!  Reporting on that form helps Google correct its algorithms, which will eventually help us all. 

LinkedIn is great for removing stolen content.  The same group owns SlideShare, if you ever have a problem there.

2. LeanMan profile image79

People will always steal and we will always find copies of our work on the internet - that unfortunately is a fact of life..

The thing that really annoys me is that the COPY is in the number one slot on Google costing me hundreds of visits per day... So much for Google knowing the original!!

3. LeanMan profile image79

I should also add that for the one that I am most pissed about being copied and that has lost me the most traffic that the second place in the SERPS is also a rewritten version of my hub with the same info in exactly the same order but without the images.. pushing my original to third place..

To add insult to injury the LinkedIn one also has the nice definition box that Google puts at the top of the page also.. so it gets two slots - and the stolen image is the one listed in the images not the original image... so the stolen copy  now has 3 slots above the original and the original is now below the fold and invisible - no wonder the traffic just dried up overnight....

1. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I wonder if the upcoming Google update will fix any of that. I read (on a forum thread, I think) that the upcoming update is not an algorithm update but a data update; meaning, supposedly, that the SERPs could get reordered and previously falling pages could rise back up.

2. makingamark profile image70
      makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

So you invoice the site which has published the stolen copy for lost earnings......

1. kbdressman profile image60
        kbdressmanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I like how you think, Makingamark!  This sounds like a great idea to me!

4. LeanMan profile image79

The attitude of some people amazes me - I contacted one of the plagiarists on LinkedIn and asked them politely to remove my article which they had copied. They then informed me that they understood my concern but they have stated on their profile that the many articles that they have published are "collected" and not written by them so that it is OK for them to publish it!!!

Did not matter how I worded my emails - they think that they can publish as long as they have said that they are copying and that I was in the wrong for contacting them to ask them to remove it! - So I told them that I have asked LinkedIn to remove the content through the official form and received a new skill of "goats" from the asshole in question for telling them!!

Lets see how long it takes LinkedIn to remove the offending articles...

1. alexadry profile image95
      alexadryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Found a couple of mine there too and reported to Linkedin. I have stopped being nice and contacting the offenders directly. Most of the time they get very defensive and refuse to collaborate. Now I go straight to reporting to the hosting company--whenever I can find them. For some reason lately, when I go on whois, and contact who I believe is hosting, turns out they say they aren't hosting the website in question. So they tell me to try to contact another possible hosting company, but they also say they don't host the said website. This is getting very frustrating.

1. Lady Lorelei profile image85
        Lady Loreleiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is the spot to file a scraper out ranking you on Google. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Pw1KVO … Y/viewform

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)