How do I get permission to use this picture.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Billie Kelpin profile image84
    Billie Kelpinposted 8 years ago

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12540902.jpg

The picture showing Queen Elizabeth and Michelle Obama with their arms around each other is ubiquitous on the web.  I have a blog paralleling President Obama's First 100 Days in Office and our 100 days of being laid off back in 2009 that I'm making into an ebook. In one of the postings, I used this picture,(hope it shows up here) but now that I am making the blog into an ebook, I want to be sure I'm not violating copyright laws.  I found the image that I had posted years ago recently on an old article on huffingtonpost and emailed them about permission.  They said the picture came from pinterest (??? - shocking) and I should go there to find the permission I need.  I don't know how that would work first of all and second of all I don't trust that someone posting it on pinterest had permission.  Should I not worry about it since I'll be lucky if I sell 10 of my ebooks or ????

Thanks all,

Billie

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You need to ask the copyright holder for permission before using the image.

Billie Kelpinposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Matthew, that's what I'm trying to find out.  I can't FIND the copyright holder. This picture has been tossed around the internet so much, I feel like I'm Sherlock Holmes trying to trace it down smile

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

Given that this picture is almost certainly owned by a major news photo vendor I would worry about it, and just not use it.

psycheskinner, May I whine like a little kid,  "But I wanna! "  smile I would like to find out if I can purchase a license for the use of this picture.  When I first posted it in 2009, I saw the photographer's name, but now I can't find it - not that I can afford it. My whole little essay about this is important, I believe, and it is the only illustration that portrays exactly what I wanted.   This picture is used so much all over the web, I can't believe everyone and their brother who has used it had permission, but I do understand that is possible.  Maybe I should hire an artist to illustrate this picture.  Thanks Psyche Skinner smile

3. psycheskinner profile image84

It is from video copyright BBC News 24, apparently--they do not seem to sell their footage.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic … tocol.html

I just emailed them.  Maybe they'll supply another breadcrumb on the trail of finding out who ownes with picture.  So now that's two newspapers I've contacted.  Next, the BBC - ugh!

2. Billie Kelpin profile image84

Ah, I emailed dailymail, but I MUST email the BBC.  You're exactly right as can be seen on the bottom left in this picture  (Well, if you have a magnifying glass - that's what it says:)

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12541246_f248.jpg

4. psycheskinner profile image84

It seems to be a still from a videographer rather than a photo.  The Mail are marking it as from the BBC 24 channel.

I also saw it on youtube and captured a still which is not as good as the original picture that I was able to get from somewhere, but I imagine I still can't use it.  Thanks so much for checking on that.

5. missolive profile image60
    missoliveposted 8 years ago

I did a little bit of research and it appears the PICTURE was (possibly) initially published on April 2, 2009 by csmonitor.com. A VIDEO by CNN with the action of them embracing was published on youtube March 26, 2009 and is titled, First lady's surprising hug from the Queen of England.

Tip: Go to images.google.com and you will see a small camera on the search bar - click on the camera. Upload the image you are researching and any matching images will be cited. You can usually narrow it down to the initial publication and copyright holder. Good luck on your research and publication.

Misolive, That's a great little operation to see where the images are used.  I did that and again, this image was used on sooo many websites without attribution, that I can't find the initial publication.  When I right click to "inspect" image all I get, of course, is the address of where it sits on the blogger or newpaper or whoever's site has published it.  Thank you for that hint, though.  I think I'll use that all the time to see all the places where the image is used.  Usually I type in the subject of the image and click on "images" in google, but this is a much more efficent and directed search.

1. missolive profile image60
        missoliveposted 8 years agoin reply to this

yes, images.google.com is a cool little feature and it comes in pretty handy. As for the picture - my guess is the initial image is from a screenshot of the CNN video. Their video is the earliest publication I could find. It appears CNN owns the image.

on the bottom of the image I was able to find it says copyright bbc 24 - so now I'm emailing THEM !  I'm hopeful that this has been around long enough, they might give me permission or let me pay for use (?)  I'll post the results here (hopefully within the next 6 months - tee hee)

1. missolive profile image60
            missoliveposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Just keep in mind that CNN published the video BEFORE the BBC published the screenshot.

Oh, no!  Now I have to write to CNN!   Can anyone DRAW this image for a small fee smile smile smile   ?  I simply love it though.  I could write 10 essays on this image alone.

2. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

miss olive, thanks for this bit of information.
      I have followed those instructions with a photo from one of my hubs, just to see what came up.
      The only copy of that photograph is in Pinterest.   To find out more about it I will have to sign into Pinterest.
      I know virtually nothing about that site.  What is it?  What is it for?  If I sign in, will I get bombarded with stuff that I don't want?  Why would they be using it?
      If anyone belongs to Pinterest and wants to look at the photo in question I am happy to post it here.... but you can see it in my hub about mulch filters.   It shows water cascading into the mulch filter, with an old hubcap in the center.   If you can enlighten me, I would be grateful.

3. PegCole17 profile image92
      PegCole17posted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is really useful information, MissOlive. Thank you.

6. limpet profile image59
    limpetposted 8 years ago

Not surprising the B.B.C. is responsible for this footage! Mrs Obama here has committed
    a serious breech of Royal protocol by even daring to touch our Queen, notice how Her Majesty is merely only gesturing not embracing the woman, as the Queen is too much of a Lady toward her guests. Fortunately the B.B.C. has not lowered itself to the level of the 'gutter press' with outrageous accusations over some hi jinx a (then) 4 year old Princess Elizabeth had as a child, plus the slanderous rant of a 'wanna be' comedian.

limpet,  Regarding the recent accusations of the 4 year old Princess Elizabeth, I agree that it's outrageous. I'm viewing a 4 CD video of the History of the United States by Oliver Stone with live footage and it's shocking.  We forget that in the very beginning government officials and world leaders didn't know what to think about Hitler.  It was inconceiveable to them that he was about to embark on one of  the unbelievable, disgusting genocides in the history of mankind. It was disingenuous to drag that picture out, out of context of the times.
      Regarding THIS photo, as an American, I saw it in a whole different light.  My essay was doing a whole comparison of Maya Angelo's poem "And Still I Rise" and class and privilege and the disparity of wealth as it's felt in the US. Of course, sometimes I'm shocked at my OWN breech of even COMMMON "protocol".  I imagine at the very least, I could try to not wear jeans everywhere I go or attempt to do a decent job of combing through my Brillo-pad hair before going out in public (tee hee).  Maybe the Queen at her age, like me at my age, is thinking "Oh, what the heck...Let's just go with it" smile  Thank you for your perspective.

7. Glenis Rix profile image96
    Glenis Rixposted 8 years ago

I'm surprised by this photo as it's strictly against protocol for anyone to touch the Queen. Are you sure it's not a fake pic?

Glennis,  Way back in 2009 when I saw this picture, I am sure that in that room were a score of photographers.  I think there might be several shots of this photo, one of which is from a video.  The video is on youtube.  This is not a fake picture, I believe, because it was used by news agencies all over the world.  (Well, maybe THAT doesn't prove anything, tee hee).

2. SheilaMilne profile image92
      SheilaMilneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's not fake.  There was quite an uproar at the time, and images are available from other angles: https://goo.gl/NXdgU5

8. Chris Tyler profile image84
    Chris Tylerposted 8 years ago

I'd check a few of the US Government sites. I'm sure there were probably official photographers there that day, and while the picture might be from a slightly different angle, at least you'll be able to use it.

I'd try USA.Gov first.

Chris, I tried that.  There are none in the archives that show that pose.  Every one I found is from the front OR if there is one from the back, it's not BOTH their arms around each other and that is critical for my essay on class, privilege, power, wealth, and what felt at the time as a brand new day.  Thanks though.  I still haven't heard from ANY of the news agencies and the Huffington Post apparently got it from PINTEREST of all things because that's where they referred me.  I can't find it there, but I should look again.

1. Chris Tyler profile image84
        Chris Tylerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Did you check pictures and videos? You can always just pull a frame out of a video and use that.

This was one of- if not the first, foreign trips for President Obama (I'm pretty sure it was during his first G20), and it was his first time meeting Queen Elizabeth as President, there is no way that there wasn't official film/photography there.

Chris,  I did find the video on youtube and did pull out a frame.  I can use that?  Really?  That would solve a big problem for me.

1. Chris Tyler profile image84
            Chris Tylerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

So long as the video is from an official Government source then yes, you can use it.

9. limpet profile image59
    limpetposted 8 years ago

Error; in my previous posting i gave H.R.H. Princess Elizabeth's age as 4, should be 7 at the time of that occurrence. Sorry that i got off topic as the 'main thread' is about intellectual property rights. The British monarchy has indeed tried to adjust to the 21st century by getting closer to the public in line with other Kings and Queens in Europe who have been familiar with their subjects for generations.

limpet,  Thanks for the clarification.  I think It's fun and informative to discuss different viewpoints thoughtout the world.  Like  so many other Americans of my generation who were born here, I have never been outside of the US.  My world view is very narrow.  Cheers.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)