jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Am I writing about topics people are interested in?

1. arnold3211 profile image82
    arnold3211posted 13 months ago

I'm wondering if the subjects I've chosen are even worth writing about and which ones I should aim for.

1. Barbara Kay profile image85
      Barbara Kayposted 13 months ago in reply to this

I think your articles are on interesting topics, but maybe the keywords used in the titles could be more targeted at what people search for.

2. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 months ago in reply to this

You're asking the wrong question. To get traffic you should be asking:

1. Am I writing about topics people are Googling?
      2. Am I writing about topics that not many other people are writing about?

2. abdussalaam profile image80
    abdussalaamposted 13 months ago

I think you should write about what you enjoy and the subject matters that you have knowledge and experience of.

3. billybuc profile image89
    billybucposted 13 months ago

What is your goal in writing these articles?  Do you write for your own pleasure? If so then write about whatever interests you.  Do you write for views and money?  Then look at Google trends and learn the SEO game.  Do you write for comments? Then comment on the articles of others and become an active part of the community.

4. calculus-geometry profile image87
    calculus-geometryposted 13 months ago

You're writing on topics that are too general and that have been covered a million times by other more authoritative websites.  For example, your article on domestication of dogs.  You will never* outrank Wikipedia's page on dogs or an established dog-themed site.  See Wrylilt's second point.

Do you have an area of expertise in real life? That's the best source for good topics to write on, plus it makes writing articles a lot easier. HP is a poor source of passive income if you have to do a lot research on your subjects. Readers can tell when the author is not an expert; it shows in the writing.

But if you really know your subject well you can not only write articles faster and write more of them, but you'll also know better what your niche audience is Googling, what they need and want to read.

*Never say never, but the odds are stacked against you.